Sarnia Sting 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

Sam Bitten signs with Sodertalje SK in HockeyAllsvenskan which is the second tier Swedish pro league. The Sting are now down to two overagers.

Reactions: The Howler

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

It is rumoured that Alex Geci is going to try to get some games in with HK Spartak Dubnica of the Slovak 2nd tier league. I'll let everyone know when he makes his debut with the team.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well I'll be damned we may have a season. I'm nowhere near as excited as usual but it'll be fun to see the boys playing again.

Unfortunately Hjorth & Bitten signed in Sweden & won't be back.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Well I'll be damned we may have a season. I'm nowhere near as excited as usual but it'll be fun to see the boys playing again.

Unfortunately Hjorth & Bitten signed in Sweden & won't be back.
Agreed it will be weird watching them in April but I'm excited that they're coming back. Since we're seemingly going to have a season I'd love to see everybody's roster prediction for this season.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Here's my current depth chart for the Sting:

Forwards

LW

Brayden Guy
Max Namestnikov
Nolan Dann
Nolan DeGruse
C
Jamieson Rees
Alex Geci**
Theo Hill
Nolan Burke/Zach Filak (Battle for the 4C spot)
RW
Jacob Perreault
Ryan Roth*
Ty Voit
Justin O'Donnell
Owen Saye/Ryder McIntyre

D-men

LD

Ashton Reesor
Justin Nolet
Cam Supryka
RD
Ryan Mast
Peter Stratis*
Nolan Dillingham/Deven Nagra (Battle for 6th D spot)

Goalies
Ben Gaudreau
Ethan Langevin
Anson Thornton

* Overager
** Import

The Sting have 1 overage spot open and 1 import slot open.

My predicted lines for opening night

Guy-Rees-Perreault
Roth-Geci-Voit
Namestnikov-Hill-O'Donnell
Dann-Burke-Filak

Reesor-Mast
Supyrka-Stratis
Nolet-Nagra

Gaudreau
Langevin

I would love for the Sting to acquire another veteran RD to really round out the D-core.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I would imagine trades would be out of the question for this season. Not only for covid reasons but there's no point selling the farm during a 24 game season, especially for an OA. No doubt that a HUGE asterisk will be beside the winning team.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I would imagine trades would be out of the question for this season. Not only for covid reasons but there's no point selling the farm during a 24 game season, especially for an OA. No doubt that a HUGE asterisk will be beside the winning team.
Yah & i personally wouldn't want the Sting to trade much. Like if it is for a solid OA & it costs a 4th, fine. But I'm not into trading 2nds/3rds/Voit/Dann etc.

As for lines mine would be:
Guy-Rees-Roth
Voit-Geci-Perreault
Dann-Namestnikov-O'Donnell
Hill-Filak-DeGurse

Burke, McIntyre extras.

Reesor-Nolet
Stratis-Supryka
Mast-Dillingham

Nagra, Eveleigh extras.

Gaudreau
Thornton
Langevin

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
If the OHL is anything like the NHL in the way of pretty garbage defense & a run&gun style to open the year that probably favours Sarnia with some elite talent at forward & solid goaltending.

In saying that hopefully are team D is better.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Yah & i personally wouldn't want the Sting to trade much. Like if it is for a solid OA & it costs a 4th, fine. But I'm not into trading 2nds/3rds/Voit/Dann etc.

As for lines mine would be:
Guy-Rees-Roth
Voit-Geci-Perreault
Dann-Namestnikov-O'Donnell
Hill-Filak-DeGurse

Burke, McIntyre extras.

Reesor-Nolet
Stratis-Supryka
Mast-Dillingham

Nagra, Eveleigh extras.

Gaudreau
Thornton
Langevin

I like those lines for the most part. I might move Mast up to second pair because I think with him coming in stronger and heavier he is going to be a force this season. I’d also put Hill on third line for now, he has more experience than the 2 wingers and a lot of speed too. And I’d have langevin as back up due to experience and holding us in a lot of games the past couple of years. Thornton needs to prove himself first.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Think we will draft Gabriel Perraeult (jacobs little brother)? He will probably be going in the top 2 rounds.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Some nice AHL highlight clips of Rees, Perreault & McGregor on the Sting website.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

Sting prospect Wyatt Schingoethe has switched his college commitment from the University of Denver to Western Michigan University. I have a feeling the Sting will recruit him hard in the offseason. He'll be closer to Sarnia, he was drafted by the Leafs this past year who have a GM with an OHL background, and he was a former teammate of Jacob Perreault when he was on Chicago Mission. He would certainly be an interesting player to add to the Sting's mix.

Ogie Junior

Apr 6, 2020
After a year of talking about Covid, politics and if there would be a season I'm curious what people think next season's team will look like for us. I would assume all teams will be mostly in the same boat with 05, 04 and even 03 players that have never played at this level at all. Any thoughts who is back and what things might look like?

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
After a year of talking about Covid, politics and if there would be a season I'm curious what people think next season's team will look like for us. I would assume all teams will be mostly in the same boat with 05, 04 and even 03 players that have never played at this level at all. Any thoughts who is back and what things might look like?

Guy(OA)-Geci-Perreault
Voit-Namestnikov-O'Donnell
Dann-Hill-Burke
McIntyre-Filak-?

Reesor(OA)-Supryka(OA)
Mast-Dillingham
Nagra-Eveleigh

Gaudreau
Thornton

Rees, Roth, Stratis, Jakovljevic, Bitten graduate. Langevin/Nolet traded as too many OAs. DeGurse let go

Very, very young team. But I think a bunch of teams will be like that

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Guy(OA)-Geci-Perreault
Voit-Namestnikov-O'Donnell
Dann-Hill-Burke
McIntyre-Filak-?

Reesor(OA)-Supryka(OA)
Mast-Dillingham
Nagra-Eveleigh

Gaudreau
Thornton

Rees, Roth, Stratis, Jakovljevic, Bitten graduate. Langevin/Nolet traded as too many OAs. DeGurse let go

Very, very young team. But I think a bunch of teams will be like that

Open import spot, possible top 6 forward could be inserted into the line up. I might look at trading Perreault for a stock pile of picks with such a young team. I agree a lot of teams will be looking awfully young, but i don't see the above line up being any sort of contender.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Open import spot, possible top 6 forward could be inserted into the line up. I might look at trading Perreault for a stock pile of picks with such a young team. I agree a lot of teams will be looking awfully young, but i don't see the above line up being any sort of contender.
Perreault has 13 points in 20 games for San Diego, if he stays in the AHL the trade option may not exist.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Perreault has 13 points in 20 games for San Diego, if he stays in the AHL the trade option may not exist.

The second the OHL is playing again (next September) then he'll only be able to play in the NHL or the OHL. So he'll be back

He was only allowed to play in the AHL this year because the OHL didn't play

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
The second the OHL is playing again (next September) then he'll only be able to play in the NHL or the OHL. So he'll be back

He was only allowed to play in the AHL this year because the OHL didn't play
Yes, and when the OHL cancelled the season, several things changed. I'd be surprised if the Sting or any of the teams with players who have had some success in the AHL dug in their heels to hard to challenge them staying.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yes, and when the OHL cancelled the season, several things changed. I'd be surprised if the Sting or any of the teams with players who have had some success in the AHL dug in their heels to hard to challenge them staying.

I mean no, nothing has changed long term. Players are allowed to play in the AHL/ECHL until to the OHL starts up again, that was definitively stated. It's not up to the teams, it's the CHL/NHL agreement. Allowing players under 20 to play in the AHL/ECHL would completely ruin the CHL as a the top development league for the NHL. Neither league would want that.

And wait, you don't think Sarnia would dig their heels in to get Perreault back? I can assure you they would lol. He's a stud

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
No disputing the talent. This is a business, teams use the rules to keep players, and you can be sure the players and their agents will use the same rules to circumvent them. The CHL/NHL agreement respects the obligations of the CHL SPA, the cancellation of the season creates a significant grey area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->