Sarnia Sting 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Could be, Johnston looks good.
For reference, the Will Cuylle trade went down on Aug 31 last year.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Hi Sarnia fans, I come in peace (I’m not actually a card carrying member of any fan base) with an interesting bit of trivia for you all involving one of your players.

In a junior hockey world where the Quinton Byfields and Shane Wrights receive so many accolades, this thread is about 1 of 4 Canadian Hockey League players who really beat the odds in 2018-19 and may not even realize the uniqueness of their shared accomplishment.

The 4 players are, alphabetically,
Nolan Burke of the Sarnia Sting,Cole Dubinsky of the Regina Pats, Tyson Kozak of the Portland Winterhawks, and Marc Richard of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles.

Those 4 players were the only December-born 2002 rookies in the entire CHL in 2018-19.

Please allow me to contextualize Nolan Burke’s accomplishment.

In 2018-19, 77 players born in 2002 made their OHL debut as first-year eligible players. Of those 77 players, 32 (42%) were born in January-February.

1 of the 77 players (1.29%) was born in December. That lone player was your guy, Nolan Burke, the youngest player in the OHL in 2018-19.

Think about it: in the 2018 OHL priority selection draft, 300 players were selected from 98 different teams in Ontario and parts of the US. 292 of the 300 were 2002 birth year players.

And 1 kid born in December made his OHL team, a kid who was just 15 years old for 1/2 the season.

So congratulations, Nolan Burke. Most years not a single December-born kid makes it as a rookie. You did. May the Force be with You moving forward!

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
What's it going to take to get him? If memory serves me correct, it took London like 7 draft picks and 4 second round picks to get Mete .... I'd be all for getting McTavish tho.

Aug. 31PBOWill Cuylle WSRKGN 2 2019
KGN 3 2020
WSR 5 2020
WSR 3 2021
BAR 2 2022
WSR 3 2023
KIT 2 2024*
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Cuylle was a consensus 3rd overall, McTavish drafted 5th overall and some ranked him lower. Wonder if the price would be a little lighter (remove the 5th rounder).

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It wouldn't shock me IF we do make a deal with PBO if Sarnia was to send them Josling or McGregor in a separate trade. PBO is gunna wanna go for it next season while Sarnia will be in yr 2 of the rebuild. Would make sense for both teams.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
It wouldn't shock me IF we do make a deal with PBO if Sarnia was to send them Josling or McGregor in a separate trade. PBO is gunna wanna go for it next season while Sarnia will be in yr 2 of the rebuild. Would make sense for both teams.

If this deal were to go down, sign me up for McGregor in a Petes jersey.

Would have to be a two part deal though, of course.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

For real. There's been quite a few Sting players I've liked over the last few years but McGregor is high on the list with Troy Lajueness and Noah Bushnell probably leading the way. Flint could use an OA and if it ends up being a forward I'd love to see him in orange and blue.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
McTavish is slow...be careful what you are prepared to give up for him. He played in a watered down league in Ottawa. Did not fair that well in any tourneys against the big teams. Basic player for Team Ontario with a ton of powerplay time. Below average at the OHL Gold Cup. I don't think his game will transition that well against faster, solid skaters like that in the OHL.

If you want to go fishing them set a cast for Wyatt Johnston. Albeit not the biggest or toughest kid I've ever seen, he is a much better skater and has elite hockey IQ. Very good passer with some finishing that doesn't come as well hyped as McTavish but is probably better. If McTavish was as good as marketed he would already be traded....he simply is not. He is good....but he is not great.

Why would the Petes draft a guy that high in the draft with no firm commitment ? What are the scouts thinking ???

Reactions: Saggy

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

Not so fast. We are still missing some high picks in the next few drafts.Trade a few warm bodies out but not picks.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
OHLInsiders saying Jordan Frasca (6'1 C) in Windsor & Lucas Peric (6'0 Dman) in Ottawa have both requested trades. Both are '01s. Would be really happy if Sarnia could nab either of them. IMO Frasca could slide into are 3rd line Centre spot behind McGregor, Rees, While Peric could be on are top pairing.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Looks like the parking at the SSEC is being expanded..... the roads coming in and out are now double.

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
It appears the drop of area on the west side will be gone, they appear to be removing that section of road. That is where they just finished the wheel chair ramp in the box office area .

boknows

Oct 15, 2015
I saw the Sarnia Sting team bus in Grand Bend over the lunch hour today. Anyone have any idea why?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Didn't see this posted yet:
Leamington Flyers sign Nicholas Beneteau (Sarnia 2019 10th)

Tone

Jan 28, 2019
Didn't see this posted yet:
Leamington Flyers sign Nicholas Beneteau (Sarnia 2019 10th)
Flint just announced an affiliation with Leamington Flyers. Interesting that a Sarnia draft pick would sign with Flyers?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Flint just announced an affiliation with Leamington Flyers. Interesting that a Sarnia draft pick would sign with Flyers?

Players not playing in the ohl play for their Jr B team.He is not from Sarnia so he won't be playing for the Sarnia Legionnaires.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Players not playing in the ohl play for their Jr B team.He is not from Sarnia so he won't be playing for the Sarnia Legionnaires.
Was that a rule that is coming into effect this season? Will redick, and Brendan kennette both aren’t from sarnia but played for the legionnaires last year. Coffin was from out of town and he played with them the year before.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Was that a rule that is coming into effect this season? Will redick, and Brendan kennette both aren’t from sarnia but played for the legionnaires last year. Coffin was from out of town and he played with them the year before.
not a rule - players and parents like to stay close to home if they can but players closer to being call ups the team will try to place them close by with their affiliate team if they have one.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Could mean a lot or it could mean absolutely nothing but it looks as though Alex Hogue has unfollwed the Sting on Twitter & taken them out of his bio (not 1000% sure he had it in before). Rumours he wanted out during the year. See if anything happens during the summer.

Reactions: robp1219
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad