Sarnia Sting 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkraayen

Mar 7, 2011
Was able to make it out to scrimmage this morning (missed Saturday night's though). The played two, 20-minute periods this morning. Game had more intensity than I remember from past year's Rookie Camps. Multiple times players were mixing it up physically behind the play, and the game's compete level was high.
I wrote down a scoring summary, though admittedly, I missed a few assists.

Team White Goals:
Tarr (missed the assists)
Sinclair (Broda, Mantzavrakos)
O'Donnell (Penalty Shot at end of 1st)
Tarr (unassisted)
Palmer-Stephens (Tarr)
Tesoro (Farmer)
Mantzavrakos (Wammes, Sinclair)
Mantzavrakos (Sinclair)
Tarr (breakaway chance, missed the assists)

Team Black Goals:
Burke (missed the assists)
Burke (Tarasevich)
Fogarty (Munroe)
Giles (Kennette)

Team White Goalies:
MacKenzie - played the first 20 min period and allowed 3
Gaudreau - played the second (and final) 20 min period and allowed only 1. Lone goal was the result of a stopped shot that hit Gaudreau and went straight up, high in the air and landed right next to the post, before the rebound got wacked in.

Team Black Goalies:
Bylin played the first 20 min period and allowed 3
Boothe played the second 20 min period, allowing the remainder.

Forwards:
Ty Voit didnt find the scoresheet but his skill with the puck is very evident. Fun player to watch in space and thrives with creativity. I was looking forward to every shift he and Dann took together. Sounds like OHL is of real interest to him and his family. Believe one of his brothers is a couple years younger, so could be name to watch for down the road?
Jake Mack is a pest to play, isn't afraid to get in your face but has the skill to play as well. He made you notice him
Justin O'Donnell showed well. Not dynamic but works hard and plays a solid game and keeps his feet moving. Be nice to see how he progresses with time.
Owen Saye played defense because his team only had 5D and you wouldn't have known he was out of position. Obviously he spent time up with the Sting, but it definately showed.
Nolan Burke, scored a couple goals, plays a very north-south style, simple game but was effective doing so.
Nolan Dann, kid competes, isn't afraid the drive the net despite his size and knows how to use body position/lean on people to protect the puck and win battles.. May not be ready for the OHL at this point, but a good summer in the gym and he could prove me wrong.
Oliver Tarr, this kid can play man. Head up all the time, moves his feet well, and he was one of the better and more noticeable skaters out there - not because he scored 3 times. He sees the ice well with the puck was on his stick and moved his feet while in possession, to move defenders and create better passing lanes. I hope he is invited back for main camp in August.
Nikita Tarasevich - For a 10th round pick, I thought he showed well. His line didn't have the chemistry of some others but despite his small stature, he moves well. Liked how when he entered the zone, he would slow things down by widening his stance and used his edges to elude defenders. Could vie for a roster spot in a years time.

Broda, Chiang, Farmer, Konrad, Munroe & Sinclair also displayed some good shifts and showed what they brought.

Defense:
Nolan Dillingham - Stature wise, looked like a man out there vs. most. Solid effective game.
Brendan Kennette - Showed glipses of his potential and will drive the puck into the offensive zone himself if given the chance.
Chris Innes - This kid was a 12th round pick? Wow, you wouldnt have known. He moved from forward to defense at some point this season from what I've read and that may be why his feet are so fluid for a late round defender. But ladies and gentleman, this kid is gonna play in the OHL at some point in his future. Played a simple game, but never really seemed out of position or that he made a poor play. Excited to see him at main camp.
Ryan Mast - Rangy defender who is subtle but effective. The puck comes on and off his stick in a smooth manner, so he seemed fairly 'soft' hands for a defender (he'd be good at passing/receiving an egg haha). I enjoyed watching him patrol the blueline and thought he had a really good showing, and he skates well for height.
Deven Nagra - Again, played a simple game. Nothing flashy but you could how he might project similar to an Ashton Reesor-type defensman.
Nikolas Vanclief - Most noticable of our recent 2002-born U18 draft selections. Skating is a strong-point of his game and he used it to his advantage. Smaller defender, but I like that we're drafting for skill and not size.

Anacta and Cummings also showed flashes of their abilities.

Goalies:
I'm no goalie expert but Gaudreau only let in one goal (on a fluky bounce) so that was good to see.
No Ethan Robertson (6th round pick in 2018 draft) in attendance. Was hoping to see him after logging a good amount of games in Jr C. this past year.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Was able to make it out to scrimmage this morning (missed Saturday night's though). The played two, 20-minute periods this morning. Game had more intensity than I remember from past year's Rookie Camps. Multiple times players were mixing it up physically behind the play, and the game's compete level was high.
I wrote down a scoring summary, though admittedly, I missed a few assists.

Team White Goals:
Tarr (missed the assists)
Sinclair (Broda, Mantzavrakos)
O'Donnell (Penalty Shot at end of 1st)
Tarr (unassisted)
Palmer-Stephens (Tarr)
Tesoro (Farmer)
Mantzavrakos (Wammes, Sinclair)
Mantzavrakos (Sinclair)
Tarr (breakaway chance, missed the assists)

Team Black Goals:
Burke (missed the assists)
Burke (Tarasevich)
Fogarty (Munroe)
Giles (Kennette)

Team White Goalies:
MacKenzie - played the first 20 min period and allowed 3
Gaudreau - played the second (and final) 20 min period and allowed only 1. Lone goal was the result of a stopped shot that hit Gaudreau and went straight up, high in the air and landed right next to the post, before the rebound got wacked in.

Team Black Goalies:
Bylin played the first 20 min period and allowed 3
Boothe played the second 20 min period, allowing the remainder.

Forwards:
Ty Voit didnt find the scoresheet but his skill with the puck is very evident. Fun player to watch in space and thrives with creativity. I was looking forward to every shift he and Dann took together. Sounds like OHL is of real interest to him and his family. Believe one of his brothers is a couple years younger, so could be name to watch for down the road?
Jake Mack is a pest to play, isn't afraid to get in your face but has the skill to play as well. He made you notice him
Justin O'Donnell showed well. Not dynamic but works hard and plays a solid game and keeps his feet moving. Be nice to see how he progresses with time.
Owen Saye played defense because his team only had 5D and you wouldn't have known he was out of position. Obviously he spent time up with the Sting, but it definately showed.
Nolan Burke, scored a couple goals, plays a very north-south style, simple game but was effective doing so.
Nolan Dann, kid competes, isn't afraid the drive the net despite his size and knows how to use body position/lean on people to protect the puck and win battles.. May not be ready for the OHL at this point, but a good summer in the gym and he could prove me wrong.
Oliver Tarr, this kid can play man. Head up all the time, moves his feet well, and he was one of the better and more noticeable skaters out there - not because he scored 3 times. He sees the ice well with the puck was on his stick and moved his feet while in possession, to move defenders and create better passing lanes. I hope he is invited back for main camp in August.
Nikita Tarasevich - For a 10th round pick, I thought he showed well. His line didn't have the chemistry of some others but despite his small stature, he moves well. Liked how when he entered the zone, he would slow things down by widening his stance and used his edges to elude defenders. Could vie for a roster spot in a years time.

Broda, Chiang, Farmer, Konrad, Munroe & Sinclair also displayed some good shifts and showed what they brought.

Defense:
Nolan Dillingham - Stature wise, looked like a man out there vs. most. Solid effective game.
Brendan Kennette - Showed glipses of his potential and will drive the puck into the offensive zone himself if given the chance.
Chris Innes - This kid was a 12th round pick? Wow, you wouldnt have known. He moved from forward to defense at some point this season from what I've read and that may be why his feet are so fluid for a late round defender. But ladies and gentleman, this kid is gonna play in the OHL at some point in his future. Played a simple game, but never really seemed out of position or that he made a poor play. Excited to see him at main camp.
Ryan Mast - Rangy defender who is subtle but effective. The puck comes on and off his stick in a smooth manner, so he seemed fairly 'soft' hands for a defender (he'd be good at passing/receiving an egg haha). I enjoyed watching him patrol the blueline and thought he had a really good showing, and he skates well for height.
Deven Nagra - Again, played a simple game. Nothing flashy but you could how he might project similar to an Ashton Reesor-type defensman.
Nikolas Vanclief - Most noticable of our recent 2002-born U18 draft selections. Skating is a strong-point of his game and he used it to his advantage. Smaller defender, but I like that we're drafting for skill and not size.

Anacta and Cummings also showed flashes of their abilities.

Goalies:
I'm no goalie expert but Gaudreau only let in one goal (on a fluky bounce) so that was good to see.
No Ethan Robertson (6th round pick in 2018 draft) in attendance. Was hoping to see him after logging a good amount of games in Jr C. this past year.
Wow thanks for the in depth summary! Haha. Nice to hear Gaudreau played well. Definitely doesn't play like he is only 15 (saw Saturday's scrimmage). Mack also really impressed me. Reminds me a bit of Hayden Hodgson from a few years back. Voit is gunna be a point producer he just needs time to bulk up IMO. Same with Dann but not quite as offensively gifted. Another solid draft by Sinclair & Co. Now time to develop them and hope they become key fixtures to the team!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sting are missing their 3rd round pick, should they try and trade Martin or grima to get a third rounder, maybe throw in a 10th rounder since they have 2 picks in that round right now. Also I’m not good at evaluating equal trades when it comes to overagers and draft picks.. bare with me lol.... might be wise to try and trade these extra overagers now for extra picks in this draft rather then picks for next year or future drafts so they have more players to develope for 2020.

The only way I see keeping Grima is if McGregor doesn’t come back. If McGregor is back, I see him, Josling and Hatcher as our OAs. (sorry to Egert, Martin... just no room). Where the goals come from, I have no idea!
Hi Sting fans. You have excess OA, and we are shopping for OA. Let's do all the legwork for our management and hammer out a deal right here on these boards. Lol.

In all seriousness, we only have one '99 back next season. We primarily need to shore up our defense on the right side. What's the scouting report on Grima?

Some comparables for you: Last season's Matthew Timms, originally a second rounder, undrafted, and traded before the start of his OA year from PBO to London. He fetched a 3rd and a 4th but I think they overpaid on that one so YMMV. Cole Cameron and William Lochead were also OA traded last year and both were originally free agents. Cameron went for a fourth, and Lochead went for a third. Theo Calvas was another OA traded for a 5th + 6th - he was originally a 14th rounder. Justin Murray went to Saginaw for a 5th and a player (Stepien - 2001; 3rd rounder). Murray was originally an 8th rounder.

If you guys are interested in Robert Calisti (also a 2001; 3rd rounder) then you could probably add a mid-round pick to that for Grima I would think?

Also, what kind of players are Martin and Egert - can either eat up top 6 minutes? (I know, I should know all about Martin, but I didn't get much chance to look at him).

From our side, our management might be looking to shop Roth (2000 - RW), Jacklin (2000 - RW), Calisti - (2001 - LD), McLean (2001 - Center). Anything interest you?

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Hi Sting fans. You have excess OA, and we are shopping for OA. Let's do all the legwork for our management and hammer out a deal right here on these boards. Lol.

In all seriousness, we only have one '99 back next season. We primarily need to shore up our defense on the right side. What's the scouting report on Grima?

Some comparables for you: Last season's Matthew Timms, originally a second rounder, undrafted, and traded before the start of his OA year from PBO to London. He fetched a 3rd and a 4th but I think they overpaid on that one so YMMV. Cole Cameron and William Lochead were also OA traded last year and both were originally free agents. Cameron went for a fourth, and Lochead went for a third. Theo Calvas was another OA traded for a 5th + 6th - he was originally a 14th rounder. Justin Murray went to Saginaw for a 5th and a player (Stepien - 2001; 3rd rounder). Murray was originally an 8th rounder.

If you guys are interested in Robert Calisti (also a 2001; 3rd rounder) then you could probably add a mid-round pick to that for Grima I would think?

Also, what kind of players are Martin and Egert - can either eat up top 6 minutes? (I know, I should know all about Martin, but I didn't get much chance to look at him).

From our side, our management might be looking to shop Roth (2000 - RW), Jacklin (2000 - RW), Calisti - (2001 - LD), McLean (2001 - Center). Anything interest you?
I’d think grima would fetch a third, and Martin a 4th and 6th. Martin a speedy two way player, I think he will have a good year next season, grima will be a 2nd pair dman next season decent skater, decent skill , needs to play harder and more consistent

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I’d think grima would fetch a third, and Martin a 4th and 6th. Martin a speedy two way player, I think he will have a good year next season, grima will be a 2nd pair dman next season decent skater, decent skill , needs to play harder and more consistent
So you guys have 19 returning players on next year's roster?

McGregor
Josling
Hatcher

Jakovljevic
Lamour

DeGurse
Guy
Rees
Tabak
McCombs
Reesor
Hogue
Kammerer
Langevin

Burke
Hill
Saye
Perreault
Dillingham

Doesn't look like you have many more prospects from your 2002 draft that might make the team. I would think your management might want players in return. Something like Martin for Roth + 6th and Grima for Calisti + 5th.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
So you guys have 19 returning players on next year's roster?

McGregor
Josling
Hatcher

Jakovljevic
Lamour

DeGurse
Guy
Rees
Tabak
McCombs
Reesor
Hogue
Kammerer
Langevin

Burke
Hill
Saye
Perreault
Dillingham

Doesn't look like you have many more prospects from your 2002 draft that might make the team. I would think your management might want players in return. Something like Martin for Roth + 6th and Grima for Calisti + 5th.
Lamour might be headed out of town, sting drafted a goalie in the first round and he will probably play in sarnia next year, and I think the sting would definitely take Roth

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Lamour might be headed out of town, sting drafted a goalie in the first round and he will probably play in sarnia next year, and I think the sting would definitely take Roth
Ben Gaudreau is awesome. I hope he makes the team.

If it's more forwards you need, what about also Jacklin (2000 - RW) or McLean (2001 - C) instead of Calisti? We have lots of forward depth. Too much actually.

My Scouting Report:
Roth (2000 - RW) - Small quick winger with good hands. Forechecks well, backchecks well. Played 2nd line minutes.
Jacklin (2000 - RW) - gives 110% every shift. Decent size, skates hard, fast, forechecks hard, not the best hands, and could work on his lateral movement. Played mostly on a checking line.
McLean (2001 - C) - I am pretty high on this kid. Missed his entire Minor Midget season due to surgery, but has amazing hands, great edges, lots of skills. Could improve his speed. Played 3rd line center.
Calisti (2001 - LD) - smooth skating defenseman that can skate the puck out of trouble and into the offensive zone. Needs to continue working on making good decisions with the puck when under pressure. A bit on the smaller side, so has trouble boxing out players in front of the net. Played 3rd pairing minutes.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Ben Gaudreau is awesome. I hope he makes the team.

If it's more forwards you need, what about also Jacklin (2000 - RW) or McLean (2001 - C) instead of Calisti? We have lots of forward depth. Too much actually.

My Scouting Report:
Roth (2000 - RW) - Small quick winger with good hands. Forechecks well, backchecks well. Played 2nd line minutes.
Jacklin (2000 - RW) - gives 110% every shift. Decent size, skates hard, fast, forechecks hard, not the best hands, and could work on his lateral movement. Played mostly on a checking line.
McLean (2001 - C) - I am pretty high on this kid. Missed his entire Minor Midget season due to surgery, but has amazing hands, great edges, lots of skills. Could improve his speed. Played 3rd line center.
Calisti (2001 - LD) - smooth skating defenseman that can skate the puck out of trouble and into the offensive zone. Needs to continue working on making good decisions with the puck when under pressure. A bit on the smaller side, so has trouble boxing out players in front of the net. Played 3rd pairing minutes.
I think the sting would be very interested in Roth, and might show interest in McLean, calista isn’t a defenceman the team needs, they need strong two way defenceman. Sting had a lot of defensive breakdowns in their own end this season and I don’t think calista would help that much. Why would the soo want to get rid of Roth?

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Not so much we want to get rid of him. He has been great. More that we need to make room on the right wing for some great young prospects.
Team is pretty set at right wing with guy, josling and Perrault, we need left wingers bad

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Perreault named to the OHL All first-rookie team! Good for him after an amazing rookie year! Can't wait to see how much he improves and how good he could become. Unbelievable shot for a 16 yr old.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Hi Sting fans. You have excess OA, and we are shopping for OA.

Hi HockeyPops. Great season by your team; got the most out of what you had.
Regarding Martin, great speed, decent penalty killer, but just isn’t a good enough finisher to get top 6 time. Not a great playmaker, perhaps a bit below average in ice vision / hockey sense or whatever you’d like to call it.
Egert, on the other hand, actually played some first and second line time on a temporary basis. He was one of our grittier players, one of the few willing to get in front of the net, screen the goalie, pick up rebounds, etc. Not a great skater, prone to bad penalties, but if you put him on a line with a couple offensive guys, he will take care of the checking role and pick up their garbage very effectively.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Egert for Roth + probably doesn't make that much sense for us either, upon reflection. We would be better off just keeping Roth as both players would have similar impacts this season. Maybe McGregor for Roth ++ would make more sense for both teams?

I can definitely see us interested in Grima.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Egert for Roth + probably doesn't make that much sense for us either, upon reflection. We would be better off just keeping Roth as both players would have similar impacts this season. Maybe McGregor for Roth ++ would make more sense for both teams?

I can definitely see us interested in Grima.
Sarnia would want a 2nd round pick with Roth , if you wanted mcgregor... that’s assuming he doesn’t play in the ahl next season. I sure hope he comes back he will be dominant at both ends next year and that will benefit the sting a lot and I think it will benefit his offensive game development before moving to pro leagues.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Rees has been Canada's best player so far thru 2 games at the U-18s. Awesome to see. Massive fan of his, can't wait to watch him dominate next season. My guess for next Captain if McGregor graduates this summer.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Seen a few of these headlines, does this mean he will be in the line up next season if he commits, which I’m assuming he will considering he was at orientation camp and doesn’t have a ncaa commitment.

Attachments

• DD2032CA-E993-4D4A-9374-F9709E8D1A6D.png
    DD2032CA-E993-4D4A-9374-F9709E8D1A6D.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 106
  • CBE0F4F0-5D88-4E1E-BD1E-9A86F6E7CFC4.png
    CBE0F4F0-5D88-4E1E-BD1E-9A86F6E7CFC4.png
    723.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 8B9F3E87-C9B3-467B-B693-CEC8869ED550.png
    8B9F3E87-C9B3-467B-B693-CEC8869ED550.png
    838.3 KB · Views: 95

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Also seen this which speaks volumes about Voit, hopefully these two commit and bring us a lot of offence. Mast is another player who could help us but on the back end if he commits.

Attachments

• B890E329-7DFA-4559-9F82-E3CAADD8B51E.png
    B890E329-7DFA-4559-9F82-E3CAADD8B51E.png
    900.2 KB · Views: 98

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Seen a few of these headlines, does this mean he will be in the line up next season if he commits, which I’m assuming he will considering he was at orientation camp and doesn’t have a ncaa commitment.
I personally didn't see a first round level player at rookie camp in Tarasevich. Solid pick in the 10th and maybe should of went higher (like 5-7th rounds) but i don't think he is on are team next year. Voit on the other hand has all the offensive skills to be a lethal top-6 F in a few years. Just needs time to bulk up and improve in areas.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
My way to early lineup for next yr is something like this (if McGregor is back)
Guy-McGregor-Josling
Import-Rees-Perreault
Tabak-O'Donnell-

Then after those 8 you have Hill, Saye, Burke, DeGurse, McCombs, Voit & Dann. So we already have a few to many Fs.

On Defence~
Hatcher-Kammerer
Reesor-Import
Jakovljevic-Hogue/Dillingham

Extra's~ Nagra & Kennette.

I think it's a must Sinclair gets a puck moving Dman. Whether that's in the import draft, trade or a signing of a US player.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
My way to early lineup for next yr is something like this (if McGregor is back)
Guy-McGregor-Josling
Import-Rees-Perreault
Tabak-O'Donnell-

Then after those 8 you have Hill, Saye, Burke, DeGurse, McCombs, Voit & Dann. So we already have a few to many Fs.

On Defence~
Hatcher-Kammerer
Reesor-Import
Jakovljevic-Hogue/Dillingham

Extra's~ Nagra & Kennette.

I think it's a must Sinclair gets a puck moving Dman. Whether that's in the import draft, trade or a signing of a US player.
I think Sinclair needs to use his first import pick on a dman. After trading Martin and grima for Im assuming draft picks, we could probably package up a few picks for dman aswell.

Reactions: Maddangler

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Also seen this which speaks volumes about Voit, hopefully these two commit and bring us a lot of offence. Mast is another player who could help us but on the back end if he commits.

be aware, the site that your quoting is pretty famous for just publishing whatever the parents want them to say about a kid. not sure anyone should take it realistically, just an fyi

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
32 reasons why a player deserves an NTDP camp try out? who writes that objectively? You would have to be paid to come up with 32 reasons why anyone would deserve a camp incite anywhere!

Reactions: BoxerMax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->