Sarnia Sting 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Ya afterbthe weiss draft I think they learned unless it’s a for sure thing you don’t take an American in the first few rounds... dont really understand saginaw taking Hughes, neither one of his brothers came to the ohl

I mean most players you take in the 14th/15th round never make it to the OHL anyway. So at worst Hughes doesn't show up the same as any other player wouldn't make it. You're not really wasting a pick taking him there. Best case, something weird happens and they land him. At that point why not take him?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Obviously this draft won't turn out to be a disaster like 2016(I hope). Id be shocked if no one from this draft is on the team in 3 years like the 2016 class. But, imo, they took a huge un-necessary risk with their first pick. If he turns out to be a Tyler Parsons or DiPiertro then I'll gladly eat my words. The number of highly talked about goalies that have completely disappeared or went on to have average OHL careers is high. I said before I like taking a goalie, just not 7th overall. The Sting were laughable last year on defence and hung their goalies out to dry a ton (the goalies last year didn't play well at all either tho). Is this guy gonna come in and be the #1 day 1? A goalies confidence can come or go in the blink of an eye, especially at 16. O'Donnell, Dann and Nagra, I think will be really good for us. The Sting did take some risks on other guys too.... like Voit and Behrens ... from what I've read they're really good players. Obviously theres the Chicago Mission to Sarnia connection with Behrens so hopefully Perreault can get him to come. I know nothing about Voit but I heard he's not committed anywhere. Obviously it's hard to judge this class when no ones played a game but, overall I am happy, were going to have a ton of fire-power in 2021 it looks like.... I'll be ecstatic if Gaudreau is elite.
I agree, chances of a top pick goalie flaming out are decent and 7th overall is HIGH. That being said, seeing him drafted in Division is a bit worrying. I'd prefer the next Parsons or DiPietro be more than an hour away from Flint. As far as Americans go, you'd think Sarnia would be one of the preferred destinations. A bridge away from the States. A quick drive to metro Detroit area. Ex-NHL All-Star/US Olympian owner and coach who has shown he isn't scared to go all in for a title. Nice arena. Solid list of alumni.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I mean most players you take in the 14th/15th round never make it to the OHL anyway. So at worst Hughes doesn't show up the same as any other player wouldn't make it. You're not really wasting a pick taking him there. Best case, something weird happens and they land him. At that point why not take him?
I’d rather take another American That’s not as good but more likely to commit

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Pretty sure they did that in the earlier rounds. That's why they felt comfortable picking Hughes there. Or they lost there minds. Who knows really.
Really who knows, because you never know with these Americans, you can think there is a really good chance one might come over and he won’t, then the guy you think you had a slim chance with will commit, they are all chances at the end of the day

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
On the other side of the draft debate is jacob perreault.18 teams passed on him & he is a top 4 ohl rookie in pts & 2nd in goals from last years priority draft.Great scouting by the Sting.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
On the other side of the draft debate is jacob perreault.18 teams passed on him & he is a top 4 ohl rookie in pts & 2nd in goals from last years priority draft.Great scouting by the Sting.
How is teams passing on Perreault good scouting? They were gifted him. On a side note I saw Christian Kyrou was drafted by Erie.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
not 100% sure on the situation but I heard Perreault was saying he'd only go to Sarnia.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I personally love taking flyers or chances in mid rounds on American prospects or Canadian commitments to NCAA. The risk is low and the reward is high. A lot of the time it doesn't workout but the times they do its like hitting the jackpot ... just look at London in 2004 Kane and Gagner. I still don't get why guys choose NCAA over the OHL ... its such a harder route to the NHL.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I personally love taking flyers or chances in mid rounds on American prospects or Canadian commitments to NCAA. The risk is low and the reward is high. A lot of the time it doesn't workout but the times they do its like hitting the jackpot ... just look at London in 2004 Kane and Gagner. I still don't get why guys choose NCAA over the OHL ... its such a harder route to the NHL.

When you don't have all your early round picks taking flyers on these players is the wrong thing to do.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The '01 draft was the perfect draft for when you take US Flyers. We took a ton of good players that were for sure coming so you could take a shot at Miller, Nodler etc. The '00 draft was the total opposite. We took 1 good player (Hinz) and the rest were flyers and it has backfired. Yesterday from early reports seems like a solid day and some of the Flyers dont have committments either. Which helps.

Reactions: robp1219

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
For those thinking goaltending would have gotten us past Saginaw please check the score tonight vs Soo. Hoping the new d and forwards pay off as Saginaw truly shows what a team going all in can do.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
For those thinking goaltending would have gotten us past Saginaw please check the score tonight vs Soo. Hoping the new d and forwards pay off as Saginaw truly shows what a team going all in can do.
We would of needed a better goalie two better dman and 2 or 3 more offensive threats upfront to compete with Saginaw, they were more skilled and had more depth at every position

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
But Saginaw didn't really go ALL in. Guelph spent way more, added more and went all in. Saginaw left themselves with a decent looking draft cupboard. I don't think you have to worry about Sinclair, Hatcher and Co going all in when the situation is right.

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
We would of needed a better goalie two better dman and 2 or 3 more offensive threats upfront to compete with Saginaw, they were more skilled and had more depth at every position

I'm just tired of people thinking all we need is goaltending to go deep in playoffs. Soo and Sudbury proving that wrong right now. I hope these later picks pay off as we need to replace what we lost and hopefully gain something going forward.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I'm just tired of people thinking all we need is goaltending to go deep in playoffs. Soo and Sudbury proving that wrong right now. I hope these later picks pay off as we need to replace what we lost and hopefully gain something going forward.
You need everything, the spirit have a good tender, forwards, and defence

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I honestly don't remember anyone saying this. It was apparent down the stretch that the Sting were going to get hammered by the Spirit. I do agree with the notion that people thought goaltending was our biggest problem, we had or have much bigger problems than goaltending. It's going to be an interesting year next year thats for sure.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I honestly don't remember anyone saying this. It was apparent down the stretch that the Sting were going to get hammered by the Spirit. I do agree with the notion that people thought goaltending was our biggest problem, we had or have much bigger problems than goaltending. It's going to be an interesting year next year thats for sure.
I think that you will see in this year’s playoffs, the teams that get past the second round will all have GREAT goaltending. Look at Sarnia performance last year with what I considered a superior team than either of our playoff opponents... got extended to way too many games in the first round due to superior opponents’ goaltending, then lost second round to an approximately similar team who out-goaltended Fazio. Fazio wasn’t bad - he just wasn’t great.
So next year we will have a rookie goalie and one of Langevin or Lamour. I believe the franchise sees its future in Gaudreau, but next year will most likely will be a learning year for him.
Langevin has played absolutely to the best of his ability but I’m really concerned that he’s just too small for today’s game and goaltending style. He gets beat over the shoulder fairly often and I just keep seeing the wraparound goal by Giroux in game 3 of the playoffs, where his leg just wasn’t long enough to get to the post. Lamour played great in game 4 - perhaps well enough to be next year’s “other guy”. Best goaltending situation has the pair be at least 2 years apart, but maybe 3 in this situation where Gaudreau will be expected to carry the load in 2020-21. Perhaps trade Langevin to a team needing an effective backup.
The defense just has to get better than last year. Frankly even Eliot wasn’t very good over the last month or so. Are Hatcher, Marko, Kammerer, Dillingham, Reesor and maybe Hogue (?) going to be improved enough to keep the goals-against under control? Time will tell. The only way I see keeping Grima is if McGregor doesn’t come back. If McGregor is back, I see him, Josling and Hatcher as our OAs. (sorry to Egert, Martin... just no room). Where the goals come from, I have no idea!
So as I’ve said a few times before, I really don’t expect next year to be a whole lot better than this past one. Hope they can surprise me, but I see this year’s draft as a further indication of all-in for 20-21.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I think that you will see in this year’s playoffs, the teams that get past the second round will all have GREAT goaltending. Look at Sarnia performance last year with what I considered a superior team than either of our playoff opponents... got extended to way too many games in the first round due to superior opponents’ goaltending, then lost second round to an approximately similar team who out-goaltended Fazio. Fazio wasn’t bad - he just wasn’t great.
So next year we will have a rookie goalie and one of Langevin or Lamour. I believe the franchise sees its future in Gaudreau, but next year will most likely will be a learning year for him.
Langevin has played absolutely to the best of his ability but I’m really concerned that he’s just too small for today’s game and goaltending style. He gets beat over the shoulder fairly often and I just keep seeing the wraparound goal by Giroux in game 3 of the playoffs, where his leg just wasn’t long enough to get to the post. Lamour played great in game 4 - perhaps well enough to be next year’s “other guy”. Best goaltending situation has the pair be at least 2 years apart, but maybe 3 in this situation where Gaudreau will be expected to carry the load in 2020-21. Perhaps trade Langevin to a team needing an effective backup.
The defense just has to get better than last year. Frankly even Eliot wasn’t very good over the last month or so. Are Hatcher, Marko, Kammerer, Dillingham, Reesor and maybe Hogue (?) going to be improved enough to keep the goals-against under control? Time will tell. The only way I see keeping Grima is if McGregor doesn’t come back. If McGregor is back, I see him, Josling and Hatcher as our OAs. (sorry to Egert, Martin... just no room). Where the goals come from, I have no idea!
So as I’ve said a few times before, I really don’t expect next year to be a whole lot better than this past one. Hope they can surprise me, but I see this year’s draft as a further indication of all-in for 20-21.
I disagree look at the goalie in Ottawa, same size as langevin and put up good numbers, ya good team infront of him but still he was a younger smaller goalie too, and down the stretch langevin was better and more consistent than lamour, lamour either played great or got lit up and letvweak goals in. I’d say go with langevin and big gaudreau next year.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I disagree look at the goalie in Ottawa, same size as langevin and put ip great numbers, ya good team infront of him but still he was a younger smaller goalie too, and down the stretch langevin was better and more consistent than lamour, lamour either played great or got lit up and letvweak goals in. I’d say go with langevin and big gaudreau next year.
I understand what you’re saying, but the Ottawa management saw fit to go past Andree and get DiPietro, even though Andree had been just fine.
Likely performance in preseason next year will determine the path forward. Team may keep all 3 for a while in the new season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad