Sarnia Sting 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
I honestly don't remember anyone saying this. It was apparent down the stretch that the Sting were going to get hammered by the Spirit. I do agree with the notion that people thought goaltending was our biggest problem, we had or have much bigger problems than goaltending. It's going to be an interesting year next year thats for sure.

Honestly this was listening to a few vocal fans in section 110/109 all season and reading the comments on facebook. Fact of the matter is we went into playoffs behind a rookie goaltender (Hamilton was the only other team to do so out of necessity due to injury) with Josling out, several nursing injuries in a rebuild year. We got exactly what I expected. With Hugo, Franco, Mitch and possibly Ryan gone that's a 273 point hole we need to fill just to maintain our points from this season let alone improving on it. I don't mind taking a goalie like someone else said just think it's a really bad time to do that with your first round pick. I'm with Robp, stick with langevin, considering he was a 6th rounder I'd say we've already gotten our moneys worth from him. Let him grow and see what we get with a season under his belt otherwise you're just repeating the same season putting the majority of the pressure on a rookie goalie then screaming when we don't win the Memorial cup.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I find how we have handled the goalie situation very odd. Was obviously the right move to trade Hughes. You acquire Lamour for a 4th and he didnt play awful but wasn't great. But i feel we all agree Langevin has a decently promising future just played beind a brutalllll defence. Then we use the 7th overall pick on one and now i assume we are trading Lamour after giving ip a 4th for him & I'm not sure we will get that value back.. Gaudreau has every tool to be the next elite, elite goalie juat find it odd.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I find how we have handled the goalie situation very odd. Was obviously the right move to trade Hughes. You acquire Lamour for a 4th and he didnt play awful but wasn't great. But i feel we all agree Langevin has a decently promising future just played beind a brutalllll defence. Then we use the 7th overall pick on one and now i assume we are trading Lamour after giving ip a 4th for him & I'm not sure we will get that value back.. Gaudreau has every tool to be the next elite, elite goalie juat find it odd.
My other thing would be so if you trade Lamour your running Langevin/Gaudreau? A kid who doesn't turn 16 until November & Langevin who only has 1 season under his belt. It could work out great just alot of potential to backfire.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
My other thing would be so if you trade Lamour your running Langevin/Gaudreau? A kid who doesn't turn 16 until November & Langevin who only has 1 season under his belt. It could work out great just alot of potential to backfire.
That’s what All In is all about

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I think that you will see in this year’s playoffs, the teams that get past the second round will all have GREAT goaltending. Look at Sarnia performance last year with what I considered a superior team than either of our playoff opponents... got extended to way too many games in the first round due to superior opponents’ goaltending, then lost second round to an approximately similar team who out-goaltended Fazio. Fazio wasn’t bad - he just wasn’t great.
So next year we will have a rookie goalie and one of Langevin or Lamour. I believe the franchise sees its future in Gaudreau, but next year will most likely will be a learning year for him.
Langevin has played absolutely to the best of his ability but I’m really concerned that he’s just too small for today’s game and goaltending style. He gets beat over the shoulder fairly often and I just keep seeing the wraparound goal by Giroux in game 3 of the playoffs, where his leg just wasn’t long enough to get to the post. Lamour played great in game 4 - perhaps well enough to be next year’s “other guy”. Best goaltending situation has the pair be at least 2 years apart, but maybe 3 in this situation where Gaudreau will be expected to carry the load in 2020-21. Perhaps trade Langevin to a team needing an effective backup.
The defense just has to get better than last year. Frankly even Eliot wasn’t very good over the last month or so. Are Hatcher, Marko, Kammerer, Dillingham, Reesor and maybe Hogue (?) going to be improved enough to keep the goals-against under control? Time will tell. The only way I see keeping Grima is if McGregor doesn’t come back. If McGregor is back, I see him, Josling and Hatcher as our OAs. (sorry to Egert, Martin... just no room). Where the goals come from, I have no idea!
So as I’ve said a few times before, I really don’t expect next year to be a whole lot better than this past one. Hope they can surprise me, but I see this year’s draft as a further indication of all-in for 20-21.
I get what ur saying but imo, good defence and good goaltending go hand in hand. I totally understand why Sarnia fans think goaltending is the most important thing because we've seen goalie's steal series after series while we got below average goaltending in those series. The Sting won a round and were kinda of competitive vs Kitchener and got ZERO form their best players and had below average goaltending, had our best players been on par with their regular season play we are in the ECF easy. In the playoffs if you have one weak link you're not going very far. You need scoring, defence and goaltending. I get that DiPietro won the mem cup but his career in Windsor was rather poor in terms of winning ... 12-10. Tyler Parsons was awesome but his team was also awesome. If I had never watched a sting game before and you told me ex NHL defence man Derian Hatcher was the head coach and David Legwand who was a good defensive forward was the assistant coach, I would bet my life the strong point of the Sting would be defence ..... and I would be dead lol.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I understand what you’re saying, but the Ottawa management saw fit to go past Andree and get DiPietro, even though Andree had been just fine.
Likely performance in preseason next year will determine the path forward. Team may keep all 3 for a while in the new season
I think the 67’s got him because of his pedigree and experience in big games, and ya possible they keep 3, I’d just rather langevin because he was more consistent and is younger so probably has more room to improve, and the season after they will have to use an OA on lamour but with langevin they wouldn’t and they can use there 3. OAspots on forwards and defence.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I'm just tired of people thinking all we need is goaltending to go deep in playoffs. Soo and Sudbury proving that wrong right now. I hope these later picks pay off as we need to replace what we lost and hopefully gain something going forward.

Sudbury is in tough against #1 Ottawa
If the Soo lose is that really an upset ?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Took a goalie, Dman & Centre in U-18 draft. Really don't expect anything as this draft has proven to be near useless next to a few exceptions. Excited to see the new crop of rooks Saturday & Sunday!

Reactions: Maddangler

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Took a goalie, Dman & Centre in U-18 draft. Really don't expect anything as this draft has proven to be near useless next to a few exceptions. Excited to see the new crop of rooks Saturday & Sunday!
Pretty much a useless draft, but why take a goalie in the 1st round ? We just did that lol

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Pretty much a useless draft, but why take a goalie in the 1st round ? We just did that lol
In this draft i imagine it's just go best available and hope they pan out. Plus right now system is sorta weak. Gaudreau, Langevin & Robertson only goalies (assuming Lamour is dealt)

Reactions: Maddangler

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
In this draft i imagine it's just go best available and hope they pan out. Plus right now system is sorta weak. Gaudreau, Langevin & Robertson only goalies (assuming Lamour is dealt)

Gaudreau is a great prospect & Langevin worked his ass off.Lamour has been good in his limited role.How is our goaltending weak ? If anything is weak it's the blueline.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Gaudreau is a great prospect & Langevin worked his ass off.Lamour has been good in his limited role.How is our goaltending weak ? If anything is weak it's the blueline.
I just meant if they deal Lamour we only have 3 goalies & we have no idea if Robertson is close to OHL ready. So if Langevin/Gaudreau get hurt we could use an extra goalie.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
All early Canadian picks at camp, also Ty voit 5th rnd, Ryan mast 9th rnd , Nikita tarasevich 10th rnd... all Americans from this years draft at orientation camp this weekend ... they also have 2 2002 born American free agents , G Gus bylin and and F jack Mack ... wasn’t really expecting to see Nolan burke or Nolan dillingham at this camp.

Last edited:

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Ty voit 5th rnd, Ryan mast 9th rnd , Nikita tarasevich 10th rnd... all Americans from this years draft at orientation camp this weekend ... they also have 2 2002 born American free agents , G Gus bylin and and F jack Mack ... wasn’t really expecting to see Nolan burke or Nolan dillingham at this camp.

Any chance you have the full list of players at the camp today or a link to that list?

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
anyone have roster from today?
RookieLineups19.png

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
All early Canadian picks at camp, also Ty voit 5th rnd, Ryan mast 9th rnd , Nikita tarasevich 10th rnd... all Americans from this years draft at orientation camp this weekend ... they also have 2 2002 born American free agents , G Gus bylin and and F jack Mack ... wasn’t really expecting to see Nolan burke or Nolan dillingham at this camp.
Was really impressed by Jake Mack. Big kid that skates well and plays with an edge. Helluva shot on his goal to. Voit will need to bulk up and work on all around game but when he has the puck he is unbelievable. Hope Sarnia signs him.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Was really impressed by Jake Mack. Big kid that skates well and plays with an edge. Helluva shot on his goal to. Voit will need to bulk up and work on all around game but when he has the puck he is unbelievable. Hope Sarnia signs him.
What about tarasevich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->