Sarnia Sting 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Sarnia needs to improve that defence because if we don't it doesn't matter who's in the net. Honestly, Sarnia's defence this year was the worst defence I've seen in awhile. Last thing we need is this guys confidence being shook.
Agreed, but one thing you do need is a good goalie to go far, you can have a great team but if you have a goalie letting in softies all the time that team won’t win and the players won’t have any confidence playing infront of that tender. So it works both ways, maybe sting take a dman in the second , or try and get a commitment from an American or a euro pick, all ways to boost the defencesive depth.

Reactions: davewheeler

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
2nd round pick...Justin O’Donnell , skilled centre with great hockey high iq that’s puts him a step ahead of the play, good size 6’1 175

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Shocked not to see a Dman taken in RD1orRD2. Gotta think that makes it a lock we take one in import draft. Like what i hear on both picks!

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Shocked not to see a Dman taken in RD1orRD2. Gotta think that makes it a lock we take one in import draft. Like what i hear on both picks!
I’m thinking we take one at the import, but it’s possible sting might have 1 of miller or McCarthy commiting for next year. Miller might not want to play another year in the ushl.

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
Last night two of the top goalies in the league are lit up for 5 goals each playing in front of far better defensive systems than Sarnia yet with several stud D available we go with a goaltender? I don't get it. Sinclair went high on another goalie before with Hughes, remind me how that worked out again? Losing Hugo, McGregor and Elliot is really going to suck and I don't see any replacements of their caliber coming soon.

Reactions: davewheeler

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Last night two of the top goalies in the league are lit up for 5 goals each playing in front of far better defensive systems than Sarnia yet with several stud D available we go with a goaltender? I don't get it. Sinclair went high on another goalie before with Hughes, remind me how that worked out again? Losing Hugo, McGregor and Elliot is really going to suck and I don't see any replacements of their caliber coming soon.
Windsor took dipietro higher than Hughes in that same draft that turned out pretty damn well for them

Reactions: luckyone

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
Windsor took dipietro higher than Hughes in that same draft that turned out pretty damn well for them
What kind of screwed up logic is that? That's like saying Flint took Delandrea higher than Weiss in that same draft and it worked pretty well for them. Last time I looked this is Sarnias thread talking up their picks.

Reactions: dansk55

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Nolan Dann in the 4th. Smaller LW. Super speedy with grit. Had an amazing OHL Cup, especially in the final vs Don Mills.

Reactions: Maddangler

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
What kind of screwed up logic is that? That's like saying Flint took Delandrea higher than Weiss in that same draft and it worked pretty well for them. Last time I looked this is Sarnias thread talking up their picks.
im saying taking a goalie high can workout well too. And that’s a prime example of a team taking a goalie high and it working out great for them.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Sting take a chance on an American in the 5th, small forward at 5’7 150, but has unreal talent and is excellent when he has time and space on the pp. something sarnia desperately needs is a pp guy. I sure hope they have a shot at this guy after a few years with little success at getting Americans to commit.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sting take a chance on an American in the 5th, small forward at 5’7 150, but has unreal talent and is excellent when he has time and space on the pp. something sarnia desperately needs is a pp guy. I sure hope they have a shot at this guy after a few years with little success at getting Americans to commit.
Not committed anywhere at the moment. Many had him ranked higher. Uber-skilled & super speedy. Between O'Donnell, Dann & now Voit, Sarnia has added major speed. All 3 can make plays while at top speed as well.

Reactions: robp1219

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
I was surprised , but if this kid turns into an elite goalie quick, then I don’t lol.. I’m also wondering if sarnia trades for Mason McTavish because his agency wants him to go there ohlinsider said... Windsor got cuylie last year from the Pete’s after he said he wouldn’t play for them so maybe same sort of thing and maybe that’s why sarnia took the best goalie in the draft.
that is why there is inequity in the league and why teams will begin to fail... because of families and kids who want instant gratification

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
More and more I read about this goalie the more I get excited... a number of scouts say he’s the best goalie prospect in Canada, and some say he’s the best goalie prospect they have seen in years... I hope that’s true
remember there is no greater burden than that of potential

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
A lot of Americans chosen by the sting. Odd move by a team with little success in bringing in Americans in the past, makes me wonder if they had verbal commits by 1 or 2 of them.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Obviously this draft won't turn out to be a disaster like 2016(I hope). Id be shocked if no one from this draft is on the team in 3 years like the 2016 class. But, imo, they took a huge un-necessary risk with their first pick. If he turns out to be a Tyler Parsons or DiPiertro then I'll gladly eat my words. The number of highly talked about goalies that have completely disappeared or went on to have average OHL careers is high. I said before I like taking a goalie, just not 7th overall. The Sting were laughable last year on defence and hung their goalies out to dry a ton (the goalies last year didn't play well at all either tho). Is this guy gonna come in and be the #1 day 1? A goalies confidence can come or go in the blink of an eye, especially at 16. O'Donnell, Dann and Nagra, I think will be really good for us. The Sting did take some risks on other guys too.... like Voit and Behrens ... from what I've read they're really good players. Obviously theres the Chicago Mission to Sarnia connection with Behrens so hopefully Perreault can get him to come. I know nothing about Voit but I heard he's not committed anywhere. Obviously it's hard to judge this class when no ones played a game but, overall I am happy, were going to have a ton of fire-power in 2021 it looks like.... I'll be ecstatic if Gaudreau is elite.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
From everything i have read Sarnia had a solid day! Gaudreau could be a star goalie, O'Donnell should be a really solid player for us, Dann & Voit are highly skilled, speedy players which we needed after losing Sproviero (probs trading Martin) & i really like what i hear about Nagra. Just needs to sharpen up some stuff but could turn into a more versatile Reesor.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
From everything i have read Sarnia had a solid day! Gaudreau could be a star goalie, O'Donnell should be a really solid player for us, Dann & Voit are highly skilled, speedy players which we needed after losing Sproviero (probs trading Martin) & i really like what i hear about Nagra. Just needs to sharpen up some stuff but could turn into a more versatile Reesor.
Also Behrens would have been one of the first Dmen taken if he wasn't committed and some think there is a chance he would go OHL. Luca Rea, Ryan Mast & Nikita Tarasevich all sound like solid picks for what round they were taken. Now to get them signed and hopefully get some of are other Americans!

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Did some quick research on our American draft picks:

Ty Voit: No apparent NCAA commitment
Sean Behrens: University of Denver
Ryan Mast: No apparent NCAA commitment
Nikita Tarasevich: No Apparent NCAA commitment
Drew Tsakounis: Penn State

On a side note unlike what Sarnia has done recently Saginaw chose to wait and waste a draft pick in the 2nd last round taking Luke Hughes which I'm sure Saginaw knows there's a 99.9% chance he'll be playing for the University of Michigan just like both Quinn & Jack did. Sting should take notes.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015

On a side note unlike what Sarnia has done recently Saginaw chose to wait and waste a draft pick in the 2nd last round taking Luke Hughes which I'm sure Saginaw knows there's a 99.9% chance he'll be playing for the University of Michigan just like both Quinn & Jack did. Sting should take notes.
Ty Voit also wrote on the sting Twitter saying he was excited and thankful to be chosen by the sting organization... if I’m not mistaken most American players don’t usually do that... that could mean he’s interested in playing here, or may just mean he’s a classy guy and thanks the sting for drafting him.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Saginaw has taken multiple players really high in the last few years that had commitments lol. It's not Just Sarnia. Every team (for the most part) take Americans in the opening 5 rounds. Sarnia over did it in 2015 but outside of that its been fine.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Saginaw has taken multiple players really high in the last few years that had commitments lol. It's not Just Sarnia. Every team (for the most part) take Americans in the opening 5 rounds. Sarnia over did it in 2015 but outside of that its been fine.
Ya afterbthe weiss draft I think they learned unless it’s a for sure thing you don’t take an American in the first few rounds... dont really understand saginaw taking Hughes, neither one of his brothers came to the ohl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad