Sarnia Sting 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
If you're looking at trading Rees and throwing next season to another rebuild then you might as well trade Langevin as well. I would think his trade value has gone up despite the numbers as he's really been a rock in a hard place for us the last 2 months. Swing something with Kitchener for their push this year? Pinelli and Pfile and a 2nd and 4th for Rees and Langevin?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
so slightly above .500 with him either way
Ya... 14-10 would be a .583 winning percentage, which would be good for 6th in the conference. Still not memorial cup stuff!! Even with him being such an impact player, the team is still lacking a lot!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Gotta disagree. Hatcher lays in waiting just to hit dangerously. He got hurt hitting someone that was actually moving and the same size. And unfortunately, his hits offer the most noise outta a crowd
Well for a guy who throws all these dirty hits he only has 1 suspension. This in the ultra sensitive OHL that suspends you for everything.

Also "someone that was actually moving & the same size" ?? All of his hits are on guys skating. Legit every single one of them & the play he got hurt on was a big hit on Jake Durham of Flint. Who is 5'10" 188 while Hatcher is 6'3" 191.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Realistically it doesn’t matter what year we go for it or what players we get in return for trades, we can’t win with this coaching and that’s the bottom line.
You gotta think & hope after this joke of a season is over they sitdown & discuss what went wrong. Do they pin it on Sinclair & fire him? Potentially. But are last hope may be Hatch/Legwand seeing the issue & either changing there ways or hiring new people..

My guess on what wrong is the years we were elite we had Lazary & Barrett as coaches. 2 guys that are super knowledgeable about the game. Maybe Hatcher let them have more control & since they actually had experience (unlike Staubitz) it worked. Now we have 3 totally inexperienced coaches & they don't know how to adapt in tough times & it's seemingly fallen apart.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
I just don't understand what changed so fast. Everyone on here thought this team was made for next year. The progression of the players certainly haven't met expectations as of this moment. Obviously the ridiculous amounts of injuries we have had has slowed that down. One thing that cannot be over looked is the coaching, and I think we can all agree that it's been really bad the last 2 years. Look at Kitchener, bottom of the barrel at one point this season, had a few injuries, fired their coach and now they are playing unbeatable hockey it seems. Hatcher and company have lost the players. There is no way in hell that this team should be sitting 10th. Literally no excuse.

I agree this looks like a textbook case of the coach's losing the room. Clearly as the team demonstrated in November this team is capable of playing a lot better than they have in the last 5 weeks. There is way too much talent on this team to being doing so poorly.

To be fair the injuries (particularly on defence ) have been part of the problem but despite that the team just isn't playing hard enough. Lately the way they are playing it looks like they expect to lose out of the gate.

In junior hockey there is generally a total lack of poise among groups. Once there is some adversity things can start to come unglued really quickly. If there is a lack of communication or dissension in the group over pecking order it can get ugly .
(Having said that things can rapidly change the other way with just a few changes. )

I believe part of the issue is that they have had too many bodies circulating around for a lot of the year and this has possibly caused some division among the team. for example I can't imagine any of the goalies involved would be happy with the way things have played out. Next thing you know some of the goalie relatives could be suggesting that they would like to be moved ;)

In regards to Rees unless there was some kind of super amazing package on the table I would definitely not trade him. The message you would send to the fans with that trade would be disastrous. Management has no choice to stick to the plan about going for it next year but I do expect that they will actively be looking to deal their OA's this week.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Sarnia ranks a steady dead last for shots against per game at a ridiculous 38.2.... They have also given up 40 shots 17 (!!) Times this season in 39 games. Only 6 times have we kept a team below 30.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX

Sarnia ranks a steady dead last for shots against per game at a ridiculous 38.2.... They have also given up 40 shots 17 (!!) Times this season in 39 games. Only 6 times have we kept a team below 30.

A good part of this is definitely on the coaches . It's impossible to win in this league when you give up that many shots and numerous great scoring chances every game. Even if you have a high powered offence. There's no reason that the defensive game of the team can't be significantly improved with the right systems in place and the right effort.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Just heard something from someone i trust quite a bit about what happens after the season. Also goes with what some have speculated..

Hatcher will sell his half of the team & a business partner of Legwand's will purchase it & Legwand will bring on a different coach.

Also apparently Legwand has tried to adjust a few things but Hatcher has refused.

This could be false but This does go with what some have said & This person is pretty close with the team.

I also spoke with a former player that said Hatcher is to old school. He doesn't communicate much at all. Leaves it to Legwand to do all that & all the boys love Legwand just doesnt have full power right now.

Last edited:

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Just heard something from someone i trust quite a bit about what happens after the season. Also goes with what some have speculated..

Hatcher will sell his half of the team & a business partner of Legwand's will purchase it & Legwand will bring on a different coach.

Also apparently Legwand has tried to adjust a few things but Hatcher has refused.

This could be false but This does go with what some have said & This person is pretty close with the team.

I also spoke with a former player that said Hatcher is to old school. He doesn't communicate much at all. Leaves it to Legwand to do all that & all the boys love Legwand just doesnt have full power right now.
I hope that’s what happens

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011

Seems a little strange as the team just signed a 5 year commitment with the city .

I doubt there’s people pounding down the door to be a business partner in the team as it’s very likely a money losing venture . I wouldn’t expect it would be too easy to sell your interest in the team.
If Hatcher wanted out right away why would he commit himself to a 5 year deal ? Not impossible but kind of strange . It’s a hard rumour to believe .
Also I get people are upset with the underperformance of the team but let’s not totally hang Hatcher out to dry.
He signed on the dotted line to keep the team in Sarnia . and has commuted to the city . The team could’ve packed up and left town .

Last edited:
Reactions: Lumberking

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Seems a little strange as the team just signed a 5 year commitment with the city .

I doubt there’s people pounding down the door to be a business partner in the team as it’s very likely a money losing venture . I wouldn’t expect it would be too easy to sell your interest in the team.
If Hatcher wanted out right away why would he commit himself to a 5 year deal ? Not impossible but kind of strange .
Ya you could be 100% right but maybe all he wanted was to coach Kelton & teach him himself & with him being done in the league soon he is also leaving.

You've always heard things similar to this about Hatcher not being that committed to coaching & how much does he really care about this. I think we all hope it's true. Legwand on the surface seems to poor everything into this.

I remember on sting buzz one of the players praising Legwand's work ethic. Saying all he does is watch video to try & improve them. Him taking over (fully) could be great for us. Only time will tell tho.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Ya you could be 100% right but maybe all he wanted was to coach Kelton & teach him himself & with him being done in the league soon he is also leaving.

You've always heard things similar to this about Hatcher not being that committed to coaching & how much does he really care about this. I think we all hope it's true. Legwand on the surface seems to poor everything into this.

I remember on sting buzz one of the players praising Legwand's work ethic. Saying all he does is watch video to try & improve them. Him taking over (fully) could be great for us. Only time will tell tho.

It could be that the rumours are partially true and possibly Hatcher steps down as head coach .
But on the ownership side it just seems weird that he commited to 5 more years in something he wanted out of in a few months .

Jay86

Mar 25, 2018

This makes complete sense. In 3 years of watching like 75 games I have never once seen Hatcher so much as provide feedback to a player during the game. I have also never seen anyone other than Legwand use the whiteboard and the marker to attempt to teach or run any plays, break outs, etc.
Coach Hatcher is busy chewing gum or yelling at the refs. Perhaps he does more head coaching after the game reviewing tapes etc., but based on the fact we have lost 3 OT games in a row and looked aweful 3v3 I can only assume that isn’t happening either.

It’s a sad end to a promising season after we climbed out of the hole we dug early.

I can honestly say if there isn’t a coaching change next season I will no longer be attending games. It’s a shame to waste so much potential in players who literally just need some coaching and some peewee level systems in place.

I’m annoyed.

Reactions: deeferg and jp88

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Whether it's true or not it's unbelievably frustrating we are back to this. If it's true shame on Hatcher for throwing away a year of development for all these kids by not giving it your 110% effort.

If it is false then we are screwed. Because there has been 0 signs of improvement in are structure/systems over these last 2 seasons. Hell we may have even taken a step back even tho the roster is arguably better.

I'm super appreciative of Hatcher spending so much money on the team/building but if you aren't giving it your all or have a different agenda then move on.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
It could be that the rumours are partially true and possibly Hatcher steps down as head coach .
But on the ownership side it just seems weird that he commited to 5 more years in something he wanted out of in a few months .
Seems like a pretty speculative rumor . The only way it might makes sense is if the new proposed buyer wanted a long term deal in place with the city with much better terms before agreeing to buy Hatcher's stake once the season ended.
Might be a bit of a stretch but could be a possibility.
If Hatcher did want out I could certainly understand why. Having to deal with a teamful of kids, parents, and agents who all want to make the bigtime can't be an easy job. It would be an endless series of headaches.
You would have to be totally committed to the job ( or you should be committed if you want to do the job ; ) . If his heart's not in it he should definitely step down.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015

I’d love that! Legwand is in control of the forwards this year and last we have had unreal offence. Hatcher is clearly here for his kid. I hope this does happen and legwand brings in someone with a good hockey mind. Also hope he brings in someone with money to help build the organization off the ice.

massey

Sep 5, 2012

If Hatcher wanted out right away why would he commit himself to a 5 year deal ? Not impossible but kind of strange . It’s a hard rumour to believe .
Also I get people are upset with the underperformance of the team but let’s not totally hang Hatcher out to dry.
He signed on the dotted line to keep the team in Sarnia . and has commuted to the city . The team could’ve packed up and left town .

Makes perfect sense.His share of the team is worth more now with a 5 yr agreement than before with an expired agreement.This is not a loosing venture.You have to remember there is day to day operation along with appreciation of asset.No OHL has lost there value over time.They continue to be worth more.Easy to make day to day appear to loose money.Figures dont lie but liars figure.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Makes perfect sense.His share of the team is worth more now with a 5 yr agreement than before with an expired agreement.This is not a loosing venture.You have to remember there is day to day operation along with appreciation of asset.No OHL has lost there value over time.They continue to be worth more.Easy to make day to day appear to loose money.Figures dont lie but liars figure.
“ No OHL team has lost value over time ? “ Are you really serious with this comment ?
Do you think teams relocate because they are making money and that those franchises become more valuable over time ?
Did you ever go a game in the Bunker in Brampton or the Hershey Centre n Mississauga when they were the Icedogs ? Those places were 95 per cent empty . They were huge money losers and the owners really happy to unload their investments . Don Cherry said he took a bath on the Icedogs and all he did was lose money on the team .

When there was a push for a union a few years back a court ordered audited statements from all the teams in O and the W and the KPMG report and the report showed more than half of the teams lost money .
This included the Sting who reported a loss in 2016 ( Hatcher’s first year in the O where the Sting finished in first with 91 points ) of $497000 on $2.2 Million of Revenue . Don’t know if you’ve been thru a regular audit before ( let alone a court requested one ) but you can only bury so much .
They can get creative to a point but it’s really , really clear that most of these teams are marginal business ventures . The idea that this is some money making machine that anyone would want to invest in that always appreciates is ludicrous .

Last edited:

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
“ No OHL team has lost value over time ? “ Are you really serious with this comment ?
Do you think teams relocate because they are making money and that those franchises become more valuable over time ?
Did you ever go a game in the Bunker in Brampton or the Hershey Centre n Mississauga when they were the Icedogs ? Those places were 95 per cent empty . They were huge money losers and the owners really happy to unload their investments . Don Cherry said he took a bath on the Icedogs and all he did was lose money on the team .

When there was a push for a union a few years back a court ordered audited statements from all the teams in O and the W and the KPMG report and the report showed more than half of the teams lost money .
This included the Sting who reported a loss in 2016 ( Hatcher’s first year in the O where the Sting finished in first with 91 points ) of $497000 on $2.2 Million of Revenue . Don’t know if you’ve been thru a regular audit before ( let alone a court requested one ) but you can only bury so much .
They can get creative to a point but it’s really , really clear that most of these teams are marginal business ventures . The idea that this is some money making machine that anyone would want to invest in that always appreciates is ludicrous .
So if what you say is true, the people who invest in these teams ( most who are not hockey people) are basically stupid investors, I assume you would not invest your hard earned money in a known losing venture.

Reactions: massey and dansk55

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Don't believe for a second Hatcher cared about the city. "Are you going to move the team?" Why would he say yes. He got his agreement. Playoffs make money, and we have little experience there. BTW, if this pans out, does Legwand have any kids playing hockey? And as for depleting value of OHL teams, FYI, the London Knights, pre Hunters, were not worth much. Hunters got it for a song and dance. and have built a good rep. As for Ciccarelli bashers, they tried. Hatcher was seen as the saviour. How has that worked out?

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Seen sarnia is in on defenceman carter Robertson from Owen sound, are they trying to grab a defenceman or two and go for it this year? He would also be a very good OA next season. Roth, Bitten and Robertson as OA’s next season would be solid.

Last edited:

mkraayen

Mar 7, 2011
Seen sarnia is in on defenceman carter Robertson from Owen sound, are they trying to grab a defenceman or two and go for it this year?
Robertson is a 2000-born, so anyone acquiring him would get his services for the remainder of this season and next year (as an overager). Owen Sound currently has 7 2000-born players on their roster, 6 of which, could all return as an OA next season, so it makes sense they may try and move 1-2, since they're not currently in playoffs.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Robertson is a 2000-born, so anyone acquiring him would get his services for the remainder of this season and next year (as an overager). Owen Sound currently has 7 2000-born players on their roster, 6 of which, could all return as an OA next season, so it makes sense they may try and move 1-2, since they're not currently in playoffs.
Is he good? Describe his style of play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad