Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Or a more realistic scenario the Sting settled for what they could get and give in return when it comes to the trade. Most likely didn't have any other options.

It’s interesting that they opted to go with a “project “ goalie instead of going with an OA like Ceci . That along with recent signings of a bunch of the 2002’s suggests to me that Sinclair is going to try and trade as many vets as he can . Any vet that they don’t think will be coming back will likely be dealt .

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
It’s interesting that they opted to go with a “project “ goalie instead of going with an OA like Ceci . That along with recent signings of a bunch of the 2002’s suggests to me that Sinclair is going to try and trade as many vets as he can . Any vet that they don’t think will be coming back will likely be dealt .
I hope the OA’s are Mcgregor, josling, Hatcher for next season. I think there is a decent chance mcgregor comes back

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I hope the OA’s are Mcgregor, josling, Hatcher for next season. I think there is a decent chance mcgregor comes back
I’m halfways hoping that they trade one of McGregor or Josling this year for younger players or high near-term picks. The reason for this is that I don’t think next year’s team will be any better than this one. Not geared for a big push then. I’ve been saying 2020/21 from the beginning.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Did ya notice that after one good game with Oshawa, Hughes quickly became Hughes again this past weekend. In my heart, I believe Lamour will be a significant upgrade in the new year and be good for 40% of the games

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Did ya notice that after one good game with Oshawa, Hughes quickly became Hughes again this past weekend. In my heart, I believe Lamour will be a significant upgrade in the new year and be good for 40% of the games

I thought the same thing. Most Oshawa fans are throwing the 3 games in 3 days excuse but we all know the cold hard truth about Hughes. On a side note...Salinitri is lighting it up with 7 goals in the 9 games with the gens. Good for him.

Reactions: Texcanuck

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I’m halfways hoping that they trade one of McGregor or Josling this year for younger players or high near-term picks. The reason for this is that I don’t think next year’s team will be any better than this one. Not geared for a big push then. I’ve been saying 2020/21 from the beginning.

Keep McGregor.If you trade the other 19 year olds make sure the package includes conditional picks for their OA year.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
You can always trade them at the OA deadline next year, I think they will both be very good OA’s, that will keep them more competitive for the rest of this year and playoffs and the first half of next year

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
It's actually a good thing we have 2 young goalies. Let them develop instead of having a rotating door year in and year out. I say we clean house trade all our O/A and if Hugo & Adam light it up at the WJ trade them too. Anything we can get is better than the nothing we've been getting in recent years from pro teams keeping them. The Leafs own McGregor's rights. With how deep both the Leafs & Marlies are it would be hard to see him crack the roster. However I believe he might joining Newfoundland once the OHL season is done.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Can someone explain to me how an Entry level contract works..... Eliot's for example is 3 years 2.550 million with an avg of 850 K ... Does he need to be in the NHL to get the 850 K per year? What if he is in the minors for a year or 2?

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
He played in Chicago I would bet my last dollar it was more that teams didn't want to risk a high pick on him. Not knowing if he'd commit.
In pre draft scouting teams would ask you if you would commit. I was a bum who went un-drafted and even I was asked if I would report if drafted. Teams knew exactly where they stood with Perreault, whether it be a 0, low, medium or high %. Legwand and Perreault played together in Nashville in 05-06, I guarantee Legwand and Yanic have been in contact about Jacob playing in Sarnia for quite a long time. Also being a border city helps with Americans imo.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
In pre draft scouting teams would ask you if you would commit. I was a bum who went un-drafted and even I was asked if I would report if drafted. Teams knew exactly where they stood with Perreault, whether it be a 0, low, medium or high %. Legwand and Perreault played together in Nashville in 05-06, I guarantee Legwand and Yanic have been in contact about Jacob playing in Sarnia for quite a long time. Also being a border city helps with Americans imo.

That's good for us but what about the handful of American Sting picks playing for the US at the WJC ?
It doesn't always work out that way.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
That's good for us but what about the handful of American Sting picks playing for the US at the WJC ?
It doesn't always work out that way.
Are you talking about the ones who didn't report to Sarnia? I've always said that was a massive mistake by the new ownership. First round picks should be used on players who said they will report no questions asked. Who knows, maybe those guys who didn't report told the Sting they would. I love seeing Sting picks at the WJC, it means they're elite players and Sarnia scouted well.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Are you talking about the ones who didn't report to Sarnia? I've always said that was a massive mistake by the new ownership. First round picks should be used on players who said they will report no questions asked. Who knows, maybe those guys who didn't report told the Sting they would. I love seeing Sting picks at the WJC, it means they're elite players and Sarnia scouted well.
Ya guys might have said they would probably report or whatever and then changed their minds, who knows....but I agree unless you have verbal confirmation don’t take a chance on an American until around the 9th round and beyond. Last two drafts have been good for the sting, they got Perrault to commit and I think they took a chance on his buddy Schingoethe thinking he would follow Perrault which isn’t a bad idea and might still work based on Perraults success so far. The Ontario kids they have drafted have been solid in my opinion.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I find it odd that Weiss would go play in the GTHL then choose not to play in the O. I'm still holding some hope that he will report next year. Still is mind boggling he isn't here yet.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Verbal commits don't mean anything. Look at NCAA sports. Kids commit, de-commit, transfer, constantly. In this day and age words, hand shakes etc... don't mean a damn thing. Unless it's being done, already done, or in writing those are the only guarantee's.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Also, I know this was a hot topic back in the day for the Sting but ..... Any chance Sarnia can put together a memorial cup bid for 2021 .... 2017 was in Windsor (OHL) .... 2018 was in Regina (WHL) .... 2019 is in Halifax (QMJHL) .... For some reason they skipped the OHL and went 2020 Kelowna (WHL) ..... 2021 would then make it the OHL's turn to host a memorial cup I would assume. Why not Sarnia .... London no chance again, Windsor no chance back to back ..... Kitchener already done... Mississauga already done..... Who else is there? Oshawa, Kingston, Niagara? Sarnia will have the team in 2021. Hatcher and Legwand have some pull now lets get it done.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Verbal commits don't mean anything. Look at NCAA sports. Kids commit, de-commit, transfer, constantly. In this day and age words, hand shakes etc... don't mean a damn thing. Unless it's being done, already done, or in writing those are the only guarantee's.
Verbal commitments are everything in the OHL, its literally as far as you can go before the draft. OHL is much Different than NCAA sports. I can't think of a case in the OHL where a verbal commitment was given then the kid de-commits from the team after being drafted. I think you see De-commits in the NCAA all the time because kids are pressured into making decisions when they aren't ready. If the NCAA said ok, no early signing periods and everyone commits the same day, you would see a lot less de-commits. OHL everyone is chosen on the same day. NCAA you can commit when you're like 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad