Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Hugo got cut from Sweden , hopefully the sting can take advantage of having him in the line up during the world juniors and win some games!

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
No they don't. Yes, London is probably the best place to play but guys are content with playing elsewhere, they're all not saying London or nowhere. You can't have a done deal before the draft unless its the first and maybe the second pick. Remember when Mete said he wanted to play in a city with a private school or whatever it was (London) and he got drafted by Owen Sound? It gets done in the NCAA because there is no draft. Sarnia has figured it out by getting Perreault to fall to them late but thats rare that a player would say I want to play for 1 team only.

The Hunters use their hockey connections all the time to get players to commit.The Sting used theirs to get Jacob to sign here.David Legand played with his dad Yanic in Nashville.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
It would be great to see a bid. Sarnia can definitely handle the crowds. More then enough Hotel rooms, restaurants and transit. The new gym and athletic facility at the college is practically attached to the arena and is a state of the art facility. Being a border city defiantly helps. New lighting and scoreboard are perks too.

My only concern is the capacity of the Arena. Not sure how they could add many more seats...concourse is already a mess when there's a crowd of 4000 now a days.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It would be great to see a bid. Sarnia can definitely handle the crowds. More then enough Hotel rooms, restaurants and transit. The new gym and athletic facility at the college is practically attached to the arena and is a state of the art facility. Being a border city defiantly helps. New lighting and scoreboard are perks too.

My only concern is the capacity of the Arena. Not sure how they could add many more seats...concourse is already a mess when there's a crowd of 4000 now a days.
Well I hope they do bid and win it. Was toying with the idea of attending next time it is in Ontario so they would be real close and handy for me.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

Spot on with the concourse. Adding more seats would essentially cut the concourse in half.... Maybe they could solve it by saying go one way only? Ive been in that new Gym and its huge. Also, don't forget about the old gym too. That hotel or whatever it is now, beside the arena had a huge conference room. I am not sure if it still exists, I haven't been in there in years. Back in the day Sarnia hosted the All-Ontario's in major peewee and the banquet was in there, I remember it being massive. Wouldn't be hard to spend some money for a bit of a Renovation.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX

True. The arena capacity would be an issue. It's doubtful that any significant number of seats could be added without making major renovations to the private box area which is not likely to happen.

The cost of making the bid may also be prohibitive as the owners are likely already losing money with the team as it stands. For this reason alone I can't see Sarnia making a stand alone bid. Maybe if the Sting made a bid in conjunction with London or Windsor it could fly.

The one area that Sarnia would have a definite advantage over Oshawa if they also bid is in the number of serviceable hotel rooms within a reasonable distance including what is available in Port Huron . Between Oshawa , Whitby and Ajax there are maybe 7 or 8 decent hotels. You would need to drive into Toronto which could be upto an hour drive depending on traffic to fill the demand for rooms. This has been a prime reason that Oshawa has been passed over in the past.

Last edited:

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
If sarnia drafts between 7-10 which they probably will I hope they draft Maddox Callens, he looks like a good prospect and he played With guys a year older last year with Theo Hill in Brantford.
OHL Prospect Profile: Maddox Callens
This is the kind of player that Sinclair and his team seem to really like and they have drafted out of Brantford a few times before. I could definitely see the Sting picking this kid if he is still on the board when their number comes up.

Reactions: robp1219

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Not sure if they have a 2nd round pick this year but if they do this defenceman looks good in round 2 around where they would probably pick.OHL Prospect Profile: Ethan Del Mastro
Wow that's an amazing website. Very informative and well done. Back when I was in minor we had none of this... we got our standings and stats from the Manager who printed them once or twice a month. Lol we heard about other teams and players through word of mouth. It would be odd being able to see a scouting report about yourself .... but also very helpful. I wish I had this back in the day.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Wow that's an amazing website. Very informative and well done. Back when I was in minor we had none of this... we got our standings and stats from the Manager who printed them once or twice a month. Lol we heard about other teams and players through word of mouth. It would be odd being able to see a scouting report about yourself .... but also very helpful. I wish I had this back in the day.
Just found this site today, I like it!

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I still think we could finish as high as 3rd in the conference depending what is done at the trade deadline.Only 5pts out.

Anyway

Merry Christmas !

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I still think we could finish as high as 3rd in the conference depending what is done at the trade deadline.Only 5pts out.

Anyway

Merry Christmas !
Only 5 pts out but Guelph, Owen sound and Saginaw all have 2 games in hand.. I think 6th will be where sarnia ends up unless they go on a tear in the 2nd half which isn’t out of the question. That being said if we do finish sixth we will play one of those 3 teams and all 3 are beatable in round 1.

Merry Christmas everyone!

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Only 5 pts out but Guelph, Owen sound and Saginaw all have 2 games in hand.. I think 6th will be where sarnia ends up unless they go on a tear in the 2nd half which isn’t out of the question. That being said if we do finish sixth we will play one of those 3 teams and all 3 are beatable in round 1.

We will know soon enough if we are buyers or sellers at the trade deadline.As long as we don't meet London in the first round then i think we can make some noise.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017

Completely agree. We've scored the most goals in the league. However we've given up the second most next to Flint. If we had a solid goalie it would be a dice roll between the 1-3 seeding in the west. (US, SOO, London). Hugo getting cut from Sweden should be a blessing for us and makes me want to keep him instead of getting rid of him. I believe he can be a top 2 or 3 player for us again next year. Regardless of how Ruzicka plays at the WJC I'd still be inclined to sell him. If he's one of Slovakia's best players I think we can get a player and a pick or two in return for him. If he's the Ruzicka we are used to seeing we'll only get a pick or two. However upon really thinking about it I see absolutely no way the Flames keep him nor do I think he'll be in the AHL as Stockton is pretty deep at forward and don't see him developing in the ECHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->