Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Also, I know this was a hot topic back in the day for the Sting but ..... Any chance Sarnia can put together a memorial cup bid for 2021 .... 2017 was in Windsor (OHL) .... 2018 was in Regina (WHL) .... 2019 is in Halifax (QMJHL) .... For some reason they skipped the OHL and went 2020 Kelowna (WHL) ..... 2021 would then make it the OHL's turn to host a memorial cup I would assume. Why not Sarnia .... London no chance again, Windsor no chance back to back ..... Kitchener already done... Mississauga already done..... Who else is there? Oshawa, Kingston, Niagara? Sarnia will have the team in 2021. Hatcher and Legwand have some pull now lets get it done.
Go for it doubt Niagara will have a good team ready by then I can see Oshawa or Kingston bidding.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Verbal commits don't mean anything. Look at NCAA sports. Kids commit, de-commit, transfer, constantly. In this day and age words, hand shakes etc... don't mean a damn thing. Unless it's being done, already done, or in writing those are the only guarantee's.
I don’t think you can have a deal done before drafting a player, you don’t have the rights to sign them until they are drafted... so really all you have is a players word heading into a draft

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
I don’t think you can have a deal done before drafting a player, you don’t have the rights to sign them until they are drafted... so really all you have is a players word heading into a draft
London has ways. I'm sure Sarnia can figure it out. It gets done all the time in NCAA.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
London has ways. I'm sure Sarnia can figure it out. It gets done all the time in NCAA.
No they don't. Yes, London is probably the best place to play but guys are content with playing elsewhere, they're all not saying London or nowhere. You can't have a done deal before the draft unless its the first and maybe the second pick. Remember when Mete said he wanted to play in a city with a private school or whatever it was (London) and he got drafted by Owen Sound? It gets done in the NCAA because there is no draft. Sarnia has figured it out by getting Perreault to fall to them late but thats rare that a player would say I want to play for 1 team only.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
No they don't. Yes, London is probably the best place to play but guys are content with playing elsewhere, they're all not saying London or nowhere. You can't have a done deal before the draft unless its the first and maybe the second pick. Remember when Mete said he wanted to play in a city with a private school or whatever it was (London) and he got drafted by Owen Sound? It gets done in the NCAA because there is no draft. Sarnia has figured it out by getting Perreault to fall to them late but thats rare that a player would say I want to play for 1 team only.
Yep, I’d say Sinclair and the owners have figured out the draft, using most higher picks on Ontario born players and trying to develop them and taking chances late in the draft on Americans... if sarnia can finish in 5th or 6th in the west this year and get a couple kids drafted into the nhl I think the American players are going to start to take notice that this club is different now from past ownership...who all gets drafted other than rees? Guy and Reesor in the later rounds? Maybe Kammerer?

Reactions: The Howler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Rees' stock has the potential to skyrocket with a strong second half. It's hard because scouts haven't seen him play more than like 50 games the past 2 years. Scouts love a strong playoff performance too.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
p.s everyone should know Sarnia has a fantastic history of their players being high 1st round picks and fast-tracking players to the NHL .... even under the old owners. Stamkos 1-1 ... Richie 2-44 ... Gally 1-3 .... Yakupov 1-1 .... Goldobin 1-27 .... DeAngelo 1-19 ..... Zacha 1-6 .... Kyrou 2-35 ... Chychrun 1-16 .... 9 players in the last 10 years in the first 2 rounds ... Obviously were not London but thats pretty good if you ask me.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
p.s everyone should know Sarnia has a fantastic history of their players being high 1st round picks and fast-tracking players to the NHL .... even under the old owners. Stamkos 1-1 ... Richie 2-44 ... Gally 1-3 .... Yakupov 1-1 .... Goldobin 1-27 .... DeAngelo 1-19 ..... Zacha 1-6 .... Kyrou 2-35 ... Chychrun 1-16 .... 9 players in the last 10 years in the first 2 rounds ... Obviously were not London but thats pretty good if you ask me.
To be honest stamkos, Galchenyuk, yakupov, chychrun all ended up in sarnia because of finishing rock bottom in multiple years. Those types of players were special and in my opinion would of been drafted in the nhl at the spot they went regardless who they played for. I think Arizona should of sent chychrun back he had more room to grow and he only played a season and a half of OHL hockey due to injuries. Deangelo and kyrou were good picks and developed well. I think the new ownership Are going to get more players they drafted in the 3rd, 4th,5th,6th round etc. drafted into the nhl instead of just the top end 1st and 2nd rounders.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Also, I know this was a hot topic back in the day for the Sting but ..... Any chance Sarnia can put together a memorial cup bid for 2021 .... 2017 was in Windsor (OHL) .... 2018 was in Regina (WHL) .... 2019 is in Halifax (QMJHL) .... For some reason they skipped the OHL and went 2020 Kelowna (WHL) ..... 2021 would then make it the OHL's turn to host a memorial cup I would assume. Why not Sarnia .... London no chance again, Windsor no chance back to back ..... Kitchener already done... Mississauga already done..... Who else is there? Oshawa, Kingston, Niagara? Sarnia will have the team in 2021. Hatcher and Legwand have some pull now lets get it done.

The 2018 Memorial Cup was the 100 Memorial Cup. Teams from all 3 leagues could apply. Came down to Oshawa and Regina. Regina won the bid. As for Sarnia in 2021. That could be a possibility. They should have a top team on paper. New score clock. It may be their best opportunity to get it. We just have to wait a year and a half to find out.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
The 2018 Memorial Cup was the 100 Memorial Cup. Teams from all 3 leagues could apply. Came down to Oshawa and Regina. Regina won the bid. As for Sarnia in 2021. That could be a possibility. They should have a top team on paper. New score clock. It may be their best opportunity to get it. We just have to wait a year and a half to find out.
Sorry gang; we don’t have a big enough rink or enough other stuff going on in the city to put in a realistic memorial cup bid. Only centers with 7000+ searing and population of 150,000 or more have a chance

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Sorry gang; we don’t have a big enough rink or enough other stuff going on in the city to put in a realistic memorial cup bid. Only centers with 7000+ searing and population of 150,000 or more have a chance
Windsor capacity was under seven thousand Regina was too I believe.

Reactions: Texcanuck

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Definitely agree with that. Although the 150 k+ city population I don't agree with that.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Windsor capacity was under seven thousand Regina was too I believe.
Yes, you’re right. Both about 6,400. Still more than our place. Need appropriate amount of infrastructure ( hotels, halls, etc.). We just don’t have enough of that sort of stuff, without bringing Port Huron into the equation.
Hey, great if the city puts in an application, but my hopes would be guarded at best. Major centers would have a hand up on us

Reactions: three dog night

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Yes, you’re right. Both about 6,400. Still more than our place. Need appropriate amount of infrastructure ( hotels, halls, etc.). We just don’t have enough of that sort of stuff, without bringing Port Huron into the equation.
Hey, great if the city puts in an application, but my hopes would be guarded at best. Major centers would have a hand up on us
Oh absolutely a city like Oshawa would be much more appealing than Sarnia. a bit bigger building and much bigger city. Sarnia is lacking with the infrastructure .... Besides those 3 or 4 hotels in Pt. Edward there isn't much. ... I guess downtown is coming along nicely. It would be a small town feel Memorial cup for sure, to me thats better but I'm a homer. Too much effort with the border to include Pt. Huron. If Sarnia bid they would be an underdog for sure. If only the SSEC was downtown. the Arena being in the middle of no where doesn't help.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Oh absolutely a city like Oshawa would be much more appealing than Sarnia. a bit bigger building and much bigger city. Sarnia is lacking with the infrastructure .... Besides those 3 or 4 hotels in Pt. Edward there isn't much. ... I guess downtown is coming along nicely. It would be a small town feel Memorial cup for sure, to me thats better but I'm a homer. Too much effort with the border to include Pt. Huron. If Sarnia bid they would be an underdog for sure. If only the SSEC was downtown. the Arena being in the middle of no where doesn't help.

Middle of nowhere? Come on be realistic. It's an 8 minute drive from downtown and you're within 1 minute from shopping or restaurants.

As for arena size, yes that will be a disadvantage, but it only depends on who else goes for it. I know it's a different ownership group, but the last bid from the Sting to host was to add seats around the ends for the extra space.

As for hotels, There is 6 in Sarnia not counting the motels on the golden mile. As for overflow, there is Port Huron, Chatham or London. As for how many rooms they would need, that I don't know but Sarnia has hosted big minor hockey tournaments in the past without that being a huge issue. (Silver Stick, World U-17 Hockey Challenge, Battle of the Border)

IMO, If London tries to host, they will get it. But if they don't, I think with the team Sarnia is projected to have, they have a chance, but I would not hold my breath. Most likely, it will come down to whatever team guarantees the CHL the most money. I do know that was a reason we did not win a previous bid.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Middle of nowhere? Come on be realistic. It's an 8 minute drive from downtown and you're within 1 minute from shopping or restaurants.

As for arena size, yes that will be a disadvantage, but it only depends on who else goes for it. I know it's a different ownership group, but the last bid from the Sting to host was to add seats around the ends for the extra space.

As for hotels, There is 6 in Sarnia not counting the motels on the golden mile. As for overflow, there is Port Huron, Chatham or London. As for how many rooms they would need, that I don't know but Sarnia has hosted big minor hockey tournaments in the past without that being a huge issue. (Silver Stick, World U-17 Hockey Challenge, Battle of the Border)

IMO, If London tries to host, they will get it. But if they don't, I think with the team Sarnia is projected to have, they have a chance, but I would not hold my breath. Most likely, it will come down to whatever team guarantees the CHL the most money. I do know that was a reason we did not win a previous bid.
The Arena is in the middle of no where .....its buried on the outskirts of town surrounded by a damn College .... People don't wanna drive across town especially if they're gonna have a few beers. Also, who the hell is thinking about shopping while attending a hockey game ... who cares If shopping centres are close. Sure theres like 1 or 2 restaurants the are "close". Brownstones is the only sports bar in Sarnia that people walk from. Thats why London is amazing. You can make a night out of a game because you don't need to drive anywhere, its within walking distance of everything.I have also been to Guelph and it's similar, you can have a 5 minute walk and have multiple bars, restaurants and pre-post game entertainment. I do agree, minor hockey tournaments have no problem with hotels, but lets be honest no one is staying in the golden mile hotel or Chatham and I wouldn't want anyone to, lets show some class and have the guests stay in comfortable hotels. Also, imo, London is not getting another Memorial cup ... that would make it 3 times in the past 10? years ... I don't think so. I also said Sarnia can make the arena capacity much bigger too.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
The Arena is in the middle of no where .....its buried on the outskirts of town surrounded by a damn College .... People don't wanna drive across town especially if they're gonna have a few beers. Also, who the hell is thinking about shopping while attending a hockey game ... who cares If shopping centres are close. Sure theres like 1 or 2 restaurants the are "close". Brownstones is the only sports bar in Sarnia that people walk from. Thats why London is amazing. You can make a night out of a game because you don't need to drive anywhere, its within walking distance of everything.I have also been to Guelph and it's similar, you can have a 5 minute walk and have multiple bars, restaurants and pre-post game entertainment. I do agree, minor hockey tournaments have no problem with hotels, but lets be honest no one is staying in the golden mile hotel or Chatham and I wouldn't want anyone to, lets show some class and have the guests stay in comfortable hotels. Also, imo, London is not getting another Memorial cup ... that would make it 3 times in the past 10? years ... I don't think so. I also said Sarnia can make the arena capacity much bigger too.

You should go move to London than. But if London has no chance of getting the 2021 Memorial Cup, why compare Sarnia to London?

One thing you didn't mention was parking. At most you are walking 4 min to get to your parked car in Sarnia. All fans can park on site and don't have to drive around to find a random lot. As well, if Sarnia was to get the Memorial Cup, I would not be surprised if they bring back the Shuttle bus from Clearwater Arena. (I understand, the traffic issue of having to wait 15 min to get out of the lot after the game. Boo Hoo. Have a beer at the bar after the game. No problems leaving after that.)

Every city that bids would have it's advantages and disadvantages. The arena won't be moving anytime soon. With this team on paper for the 2020/21 season, the Sting should have a good shot at the possibility of hosting the Memorial Cup if they put in a bid.

As for the arena location. I believe that they should have went with the Homes Foundry site. However, just think about the parking complaints if that was the location. It would be 100 times worse than the current parking complaints. One thing that the people of Sarnia are best at, is complaining.

Reactions: Ferda11 and Sth2002

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I would be happy if Sarnia hosts but not sure if you have the facilities. You need 1200 hotel rooms, A large convention area to host the banquets, a large area ( Windsor used 3 rinks attached to the WFCU center) to host the fan zone areas and an airport that can handle domestic flights. You mentioned the college so maybe they would jump on board with their facilities. Also need top of the line lighting for the cameras, and arena glass had to be NHL standard. Windsor had to add both of these things - that cost was over a million dollars. Do hope you get it, nice and close for me.

Reactions: BoxerMax

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
You should go move to London than. But if London has no chance of getting the 2021 Memorial Cup, why compare Sarnia to London?

One thing you didn't mention was parking. At most you are walking 4 min to get to your parked car in Sarnia. All fans can park on site and don't have to drive around to find a random lot. As well, if Sarnia was to get the Memorial Cup, I would not be surprised if they bring back the Shuttle bus from Clearwater Arena. (I understand, the traffic issue of having to wait 15 min to get out of the lot after the game. Boo Hoo. Have a beer at the bar after the game. No problems leaving after that.)

Every city that bids would have it's advantages and disadvantages. The arena won't be moving anytime soon. With this team on paper for the 2020/21 season, the Sting should have a good shot at the possibility of hosting the Memorial Cup if they put in a bid.

As for the arena location. I believe that they should have went with the Homes Foundry site. However, just think about the parking complaints if that was the location. It would be 100 times worse than the current parking complaints. One thing that the people of Sarnia are best at, is complaining.
Why would I move to London, the OHL doesn't decide my living situation thats a weird statement to make... relax bro were only talking about the OHL. I was comparing it to London because its the ideal situation for an arena location, not that hard to grasp, usually you compare things to the best situation but thats me. London has got it twice so far so Obviously their doing something right. If Sarnia wants to get a mem cup maybe do the things London did to get it, so yes, compare London to Sarnia. The SSEC isn't moving, I believe the location hurts a lot. Whats the draw out there? Lambton College and good Parking... nice.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I would be happy if Sarnia hosts but not sure if you have the facilities. You need 1200 hotel rooms, A large convention area to host the banquets, a large area ( Windsor used 3 rinks attached to the WFCU center) to host the fan zone areas and an airport that can handle domestic flights. You mentioned the college so maybe they would jump on board with their facilities. Also need top of the line lighting for the cameras, and arena glass had to be NHL standard. Windsor had to add both of these things - that cost was over a million dollars. Do hope you get it, nice and close for me.
The SSEC has a smaller rink attached that can handle that. As for the college, its small but they just did a renovation with a new state of the art gym thats literally a 1 min walk away. We just got new lighting and scoreboard so that helps. Some negatives are Sarnia is smaller and so is the Arena but, I think we can add approx 500-1000 seats. Also the location of the Arena blows, but, So does Windsors I've read.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The SSEC has a smaller rink attached that can handle that. As for the college, its small but they just did a renovation with a new state of the art gym thats literally a 1 min walk away. We just got new lighting and scoreboard so that helps. Some negatives are Sarnia is smaller and so is the Arena but, I think we can add approx 500-1000 seats. Also the location of the Arena blows, but, So does Windsors I've read.
Yes location of arena was an issue - they had many volunteers shuttling fans/ scouts/family/media back and forth from the arena to area hotels. I believe FCA lent them a couple dozen mini-vans for the shuttling. Fan zone/Molson house needs at least the space of 3 arenas but it would help if the college had a large gym for example. Biggest thing that makes it work is boots on the ground. If you have a driven volunteer base in Sarnia you can make anything work.

Reactions: davewheeler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Yes location of arena was an issue - they had many volunteers shuttling fans/ scouts/family/media back and forth from the arena to area hotels. I believe FCA lent them a couple dozen mini-vans for the shuttling. Fan zone/Molson house needs at least the space of 3 arenas but it would help if the college had a large gym for example. Biggest thing that makes it work is boots on the ground. If you have a driven volunteer base in Sarnia you can make anything work.
Right now, the interest in the Sting is almost at an all time low. The more I think about it the more I think Sarnia wouldn't work..... Just don't have the facilities. It wouldn't take long for the CHL to see that. Would love to see at least a bid tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad