Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Might be a lot of players gone before the second pick comes around, since all 3 leagues are in the import rotation. Might be in the team’s best interest to draft one guy who will surely report and use the second on an absolute low-probability high-talent long shot. If that guy doesn’t report, then an open O/A spot could be used like Sudbury did to pick up Ruzicka at the trade deadline, if the team’s performance warrants it.
Open OA spot for ruzicka? Huh

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Open OA spot for ruzicka? Huh
Hey, it looks like he was just what they needed. Sudbury has done quite well and he’s contributing.
What I’m saying is that it might be better just to draft one guy than to get a second import who resembles Helt or Louis Latta etc. (yeah I know Latta played as a North American but he was obtained via the import draft)
Ideal situation would to have NHL connections like London did and have a Boqvist caliber player dropped in by a nhl team. Even if for just one year...Gotta dream

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Hey, it looks like he was just what they needed. Sudbury has done quite well and he’s contributing.
What I’m saying is that it might be better just to draft one guy than to get a second import who resembles Helt or Louis Latta etc. (yeah I know Latta played as a North American but he was obtained via the import draft)
Ideal situation would to have NHL connections like London did and have a Boqvist caliber player dropped in by a nhl team. Even if for just one year...Gotta dream
I’m just not understanding the Open OA spot for ruzicka maybe I read or I missing something but ruzicka is a 99 born, but ya be nice to get a top end player in the draft, I think they should draft 1 player this draft and one next draft

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I’m just not understanding the Open OA spot for ruzicka maybe I read or I missing something but ruzicka is a 99 born, but ya be nice to get a top end player in the draft, I think they should draft 1 player this draft and one next draft
Saying that Sudbury situation this year was that they only had one import; therefore were able to bring in a second one, namely Adam R. to help them in a playoff run. If Sarnia only drafts one import this year, then the sting could conceivably be in a similar position next January and make a similar move for a final year import (if and only if the team looks like a contender) for a pick or two.
Or they could use their second pick (likely 60 or 70-something overall) on a pick similar to Patrik Laine, who they drafted before he reported to Winnipeg. Kind of a longshot, not much to lose type of pick. Better than drafting and being stuck with a scrub for the year (Helt, Kodola...)

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Saying that Sudbury situation this year was that they only had one import; therefore were able to bring in a second one, namely Adam R. to help them in a playoff run. If Sarnia only drafts one import this year, then the sting could conceivably be in a similar position next January and make a similar move for a final year import (if and only if the team looks like a contender) for a pick or two.
Or they could use their second pick (likely 60 or 70-something overall) on a pick similar to Patrik Laine, who they drafted before he reported to Winnipeg. Kind of a longshot, not much to lose type of pick. Better than drafting and being stuck with a scrub for the year (Helt, Kodola...)
wolves traded an import to North Bay who had an open spot. that allowed them to get ruzicka

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Word is Hugo has informed Sting management that he wont be returning next season. If he doesn't get a contract to play in the AHL at least then he will go back over seas to play at home.
he returned he would be a two card player if he did return

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
What a game tonight. Definitely didn't see that coming. Lamour was amazing again. that's 4 good starts in a row for him. Guelph will be fired up for rematch hopefully we bring same intensity.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Tonight's win should be a big confidence booster for the Sting. THey are morphing into a team that might cause some problems for higher seeded teams come playoff time. I would expect that the Storm will come out with all guns firing tomorrow but if the Sting can beat them back to back that would be a big shot in the arm for the future.

Reactions: Texcanuck

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Omg I am absolutely pumped to watch lamour and langevin next year, our goaltending is lights out for next year! And we have good solid stay at home dman heading into next year! And Mcgregor’s two way play an leadership changes this team from junk to good! Man I seriously hope he gets sent back next year!

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Kammerer and reesor plus 12 and 10 both decent skaters and decent size, I like them being a big part of our defence moving forward

Reactions: The Howler

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Looking ahead for the team -

The Sting have by my count ten 2001 born players and six 2002 born players who are either currently playing with the Sting or the Legionaires. The pipeline is full of solid talent that the team is developing. This kind of player development is the thing that all of the good franchises have always done and something that has always been missing in Sarnia and the main reason that the team has chronically underachieved. The best teams in the league develop their own talent and then augment that with key trades at the right time.

THe exciting thing for Sting fans is that a some of these key players will have already seen a lot of icetime in the league and will be either entering their second or third full season in the league at a very young age. A player like Kammerer will be entering his third full year in the league and he won't even be 18 next September.

The very encouraging thing is that a lot of these young players don't look out of place already playing against players two or three years older than them.

Having said that, there will be some challenges coming next year when the 2 OA's (Eliot and Sproviero) graduate and some of the 99's like Leufvenius , and Martin likely move on. These are currently among the top scorers on the team.

Some of these holes could get plugged by the fact that the team should have 2 Import picks that could be impact players next June and the first round 2003 pick should be able to step in and help right away. It would also not surprise me if Sinclair traded some of the young prospects to aquire an impact 2000 born player.

The goalie situation also looks like it is stablizing as both Lamour and Langevin look like they both could develop into decent OHL goalies.

It will be interesting to see how the team does come playoff time. There should be absolutely no pressure on them because most pundits didn't even expect them to make the playoffs this year.
THe Sting's run and gun style isn't typically what is successful in the playoffs but my guess is that a lot of the higher ranked teams would prefer not to face the Sting in the first round. If either Lamour or Langevin could hot at the right time the Sting could upset one of the big boys in the first round IMHO.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Looking ahead for the team -

The Sting have by my count ten 2001 born players and six 2002 born players who are either currently playing with the Sting or the Legionaires. The pipeline is full of solid talent that the team is developing. This kind of player development is the thing that all of the good franchises have always done and something that has always been missing in Sarnia and the main reason that the team has chronically underachieved. The best teams in the league develop their own talent and then augment that with key trades at the right time.

THe exciting thing for Sting fans is that a some of these key players will have already seen a lot of icetime in the league and will be either entering their second or third full season in the league at a very young age. A player like Kammerer will be entering his third full year in the league and he won't even be 18 next September.

The very encouraging thing is that a lot of these young players don't look out of place already playing against players two or three years older than them.

Having said that, there will be some challenges coming next year when the 2 OA's (Eliot and Sproviero) graduate and some of the 99's like Leufvenius , and Martin likely move on. These are currently among the top scorers on the team.

Some of these holes could get plugged by the fact that the team should have 2 Import picks that could be impact players next June and the first round 2003 pick should be able to step in and help right away. It would also not surprise me if Sinclair traded some of the young prospects to aquire an impact 2000 born player.

The goalie situation also looks like it is stablizing as both Lamour and Langevin look like they both could develop into decent OHL goalies.

It will be interesting to see how the team does come playoff time. There should be absolutely no pressure on them because most pundits didn't even expect them to make the playoffs this year.
THe Sting's run and gun style isn't typically what is successful in the playoffs but my guess is that a lot of the higher ranked teams would prefer not to face the Sting in the first round. If either Lamour or Langevin could hot at the right time the Sting could upset one of the big boys in the first round IMHO.
Very well put

Reactions: The Howler

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
I notice that Hogue hasn’t been in the lineup the last several games .Does anybody know his status ? Is he injured ?

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I notice that Hogue hasn’t been in the lineup the last several games .Does anybody know his status ? Is he injured ?

Who Cares.lol sorry thats not nice.I have noticed the same.Maybe some of the previous going ons have upset off sting management

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Who Cares.lol sorry thats not nice.I have noticed the same.Maybe some of the previous going ons have upset off sting management

I still think Hogue could develop into an effective 3rd line forward like Franco did as he’s got good offensive smarts . Can’t see him ever being a defenceman at this level .
It all may be moot if he is disgruntled because that ship may have sailed .

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Who cares, he’s absolutely brutal I hope he’s been a healthy scratch and it continues that way

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Rough game today. Looked like the boys ran out of gas. Didn't help the officiating was just pitiful in the first two periods. Langevin really good again at least. Really liking Reesor & Kammerer since about mid January. These games are massive for them moving into next year & beyond. Been logging alot of ice time vs good teams.

Reactions: robp1219

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
I was really impressed with Langevin today , he literately held us in the game. Tough way to lose with 1/10 of a second on the clock , I think the Rangers were lucky to win in regulation time. Boys appeared a bit sluggish but great goaltending and decent defense they did ok in my mind.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
I was really impressed with Langevin today , he literately held us in the game. Tough way to lose with 1/10 of a second on the clock , I think the Rangers were lucky to win in regulation time. Boys appeared a bit sluggish but great goaltending and decent defense they did ok in my mind.
if Kitchener had some players that could finish, i think it would not have close. If we played 60 minutes instead of final 20, we could have won. give their goalie credit, he made some very good saves after two periods of napping

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Anyone else notice how much we’ve become a 2 line team? See a bit of Tabak, Martin, Guy but very little Hill, McCombs Egert. No wonder they get tired but I also understand that they want to finish as high as possible. Hatcher walking the fine line of wins versus development.
Goaltending now an asset versus the liability it was in the first half

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Anyone else notice how much we’ve become a 2 line team? See a bit of Tabak, Martin, Guy but very little Hill, McCombs Egert. No wonder they get tired but I also understand that they want to finish as high as possible. Hatcher walking the fine line of wins versus development.
Goaltending now an asset versus the liability it was in the first half

You got to blame all those dumb penalties as part of the problem getting that third or forth line out there.Every game different but still 3 lines usually with some 4th line duties.You got to be pretty happy with how the whole team is playing in a win or lost other than the penalties.Congrats on the goaltenders for their continued hard work

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I know the season isn’t over but what does everyone think the roster/lines could look like next year, who will be there overagers?will anyone be traded in the offseason? Will any Americans come over? Will the sting have two Imports in the roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad