Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Ya grima thinks he’s a lot better than he is, no way he’s back (mcgregor,josling,Hatcher) is what I’m hoping for...

I agree that these 3 are the most likely option but I think Calvin Martin has a shot at bumping Josling. Josling is excellent when playing with McGregor, but has been somewhat ordinary on other lines. McGregor makes EVERYONE he plays with better!

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Speaking of Hatcher, did he hurt himself in the fight on Friday? I don’t recall seeing him after that. He wouldn’t have been suspended for multiple fights since he was “instigated upon” on Friday.
Maybe I’m pretty sure both players left the game after the scrap

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
DaveW - Chychrun was pretty good!
lol well yah when u pick first overall its a different story.
Hatcher started off bad but he got on track very fast imo. People just didn't like him because of the coaches son narrative. He deserves wayyyyy more credit than he gets. Someone above mentioned he knows his limitations, agree 100% he just makes the safe smart play which I happen to love. Grima thinks he's like Bobby Orr or someone, when in reality he's a pylon.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
If I had to guess Sarnia takes a Center with their first pick. It's a pretty forward heavy first round from what I have read. Then in round 2 a Dman. I would take an import Dman as well. Especially with Grima most likeky being traded in off season.

Reactions: robp1219

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
From what I have been told, Hatcher had a "small" cut on his hand from the fight. He was leaking pretty good in the penalty box. Could be the reason why he missed the last two games.

As for drafting, draft the best player available regardless of position for the OHL draft. As for the import draft, if you can get a stud 18 yr old goalie, then go with it. Very unlikely one will be still available at their pick, if not, then go with the best player that you think would report.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
From what I have been told, Hatcher had a "small" cut on his hand from the fight. He was leaking pretty good in the penalty box. Could be the reason why he missed the last two games.

As for drafting, draft the best player available regardless of position for the OHL draft. As for the import draft, if you can get a stud 18 yr old goalie, then go with it. Very unlikely one will be still available at their pick, if not, then go with the best player that you think would report.

You don't draft an import player unless he is already signed sealed & delivered.I would prefer a dman with our import pick & a few in the first 5 rounds of the ohl draft.

Reactions: InSuL1nImP

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Didn't get a chance to watch the Prospects game last night ... I see Rees didn't get a point but, how did he look? I hope he improved his stock.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
You don't draft an import player unless he is already signed sealed & delivered.I would prefer a dman with our import pick & a few in the first 5 rounds of the ohl draft.
Not sure why you would draft a D early. By my count, assuming Hatcher is the only OA dman coming back, there will be 6 D and about 10 forwards returning, assuming 2 of Degurse, Burke and Saye make the team. I think their biggest gap will be at forward. Have to hope that Kammerer, Reesor, Dillingham, Marko and Hogue (if possible) get better. We’re looking at at least 2 more years of each of those guys.
Biggest question in my mind is whether the Langevin/Lamour duo can be a high end goalkeeping pair next year and the year after.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Not sure why you would draft a D early. By my count, assuming Hatcher is the only OA dman coming back, there will be 6 D and about 10 forwards returning, assuming 2 of Degurse, Burke and Saye make the team. I think their biggest gap will be at forward. Have to hope that Kammerer, Reesor, Dillingham, Marko and Hogue (if possible) get better. We’re looking at at least 2 more years of each of those guys.
Biggest question in my mind is whether the Langevin/Lamour duo can be a high end goalkeeping pair next year and the year after.
I’d trade hogue and draft an import to take his spot. Hopefully we can get a 4th for hogue. I think langevin and lamour will be a good duo next year, I think langevin will be high end the year after.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
For me on defence Sarnia already struggles moving the puck. Grima is arguably their best passer (when he decides to) and with him & Eliot most likely moving on we will desperately need a puck moving Dman. Hatcher, Jako, Reesor, Dillingham all aren't great at it. Hogue needs work and Kammerer is OK at it.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Didn't get a chance to watch the Prospects game last night ... I see Rees didn't get a point but, how did he look? I hope he improved his stock.
Showed off his sweet hands a few times. And from what I've seen people were impressed! Bob McKenzie has him ranked 43rd in his prospect ranking he put out today.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Good Luck Nolan !

Hopefully they are not just signing him because he is local.

Degurse is the ninth player from the 2017 that the Sting draft that the Sting have given a card to. That is a huge number for any individual draft. 5 players from any one draft is a pretty decent number. By far in the history of the Sting this the most players ever signed from one draft.

If you add Tabak into the mix that makes 10 potential 2001 born players who could be part of the team next season. It's also possible that you could see 01 born imports on the team next year.
It's interesting that the Sting have so many 01 born players as that draft wasn't a particularly good one for the league as a whole.
( Although Part of the reason the Sting have signed so many 01's is because the 2000 born draft year was a disaster with nobody signed from the original minor midget draft ). Regardless, the next few sesaons should be exciting for Sting fans with so many players coming of age and jelling together at the same time.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Hung in their with an elite team, play like that and they should win tomorrow... I hope. I only seen parts of the game but Kammerer had two real nice rushes , one where he pulled a slick move on the defenceman nice to see him showing some offensive skill.

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
Boys played a very good game tonight, actually could have gone either way with a bounce or two. Hatcher out 4-5 wks with broken thumb, in a cast tonight.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I really hope Kammerer keeps playing with confidence, he’s pretty solid defensively and if can make a couple rushes a game and make a good first pass regularly he’s going to be a solid player at both ends, and having two hard defensive guys in reesor and Hatcher , just need dillinghan and jako to improve abit more!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Degurse is the ninth player from the 2017 that the Sting draft that the Sting have given a card to. That is a huge number for any individual draft. 5 players from any one draft is a pretty decent number. By far in the history of the Sting this the most players ever signed from one draft.

If you add Tabak into the mix that makes 10 potential 2001 born players who could be part of the team next season. It's also possible that you could see 01 born imports on the team next year.
It's interesting that the Sting have so many 01 born players as that draft wasn't a particularly good one for the league as a whole.
( Although Part of the reason the Sting have signed so many 01's is because the 2000 born draft year was a disaster with nobody signed from the original minor midget draft ). Regardless, the next few sesaons should be exciting for Sting fans with so many players coming of age and jelling together at the same time.
Plus we have some legit american prospects from that draft in Miller (4th), Nodler (6th) & McCarthy (9th). All would be major boosts to the team. All expected to be taken in first 3 or 4 rounds of NHL draft this year.

Reactions: jwalk

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I really hope Kammerer keeps playing with confidence, he’s pretty solid defensively and if can make a couple rushes a game and make a good first pass regularly he’s going to be a solid player at both ends, and having two hard defensive guys in reesor and Hatcher , just need dillinghan and jako to improve abit more!
I straight up do not like hogue, I’d like them to trade him for 4th

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
He was an absolute pylon on Niagara’s game winning goal.
Good lesson last night regarding taking cheap, unnecessary penalties against teams with elite players. Niagara power play is absolute poison and was the difference in the game.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Good lesson last night regarding taking cheap, unnecessary penalties against teams with elite players. Niagara power play is absolute poison and was the difference in the game.
He gets walked around Every game, and he struggles to win puck battles in the corners and can’t clear a guy from the front of the net... and his family is clearly not happy with him being here and they make that clear (which I think is embarrassing to the family).... he needs to go

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
It seems like at least once a game, on an opposing teams goal, a Sting defenceman looks like absolute pylon.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
It seems like at least once a game, on an opposing teams goal, a Sting defenceman looks like absolute pylon.
Your read my mind... but i am like an open book. Hogue was pissed because he was not playing defence, his strengt and it was his draft year. Does that mean he can buy draft cuz he won't be drafted by the NHL. He is slow and weak to the puck. The worst part is, our GM picked him second. I am not sure who you would trade to. Maybe Kingston or he goes to the Q or Jr. hockey near Ottawa.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Plus we have some legit american prospects from that draft in Miller (4th), Nodler (6th) & McCarthy (9th). All would be major boosts to the team. All expected to be taken in first 3 or 4 rounds of NHL draft this year.
if we keep wishing on a star, and hope these American kids come, we won't have any depth. If they do come, what do you do with the likes of a guy like McComb, or Saye or Tabak.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
What they might consider doing what they did with Franco when he struggled playing defence in this league and permanently move him to forward on the third or fourth line .
Hogue does have some very good offensive instincts IMO and he could develop playing forward like Franco did .
The complaining over social media would need to stop though .

Reactions: dansk55

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
What they might consider doing what they did with Franco when he struggled playing defence in this league and permanently move him to forward on the third or fourth line .
Hogue does have some very good offensive instincts IMO and he could develop playing forward like Franco did .
Similar change with Ernst last year - went from mediocre Dman to 20 goal scorer and point man on power play.
I thought it was a great move putting Hogue up front - guess he didn’t. Sorry but he’s not getting drafted in any case in any position. Delusional to think otherwise

Reactions: Ferda11

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Him and his family were pissed when the coaches put him on forward and the family made multiple negative comments about. That’s why he is back on defence. I think a trade for a pick would be fine. Maybe kennette an American or a new draft pick can replace him next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad