Sarnia Sting 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Game day. We need to play physical hockey as well as play both ends of the puck. Keys to the game include not being lazy, not being selfish, Don't lose composure if we give up leads or go down a few goals early. 60 minute effort.

Rooster

Jan 28, 2016
Now that the Chatham Maroons and Sarnia Legionnaires are eliminated, Hatcher should have a few options at his disposal to upgrade his back end. He has found a good place to hide 16, but with a certain defenceman on the ice for almost every goal last night, it might be time for an upgrade. Just sayin.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Now that the Chatham Maroons and Sarnia Legionnaires are eliminated, Hatcher should have a few options at his disposal to upgrade his back end. He has found a good place to hide 16, but with a certain defenceman on the ice for almost every goal last night, it might be time for an upgrade. Just sayin.

Are you saying that they need to upgrade Spinozzi?

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Any word from anyone on whether Fazio can go tonight ? If not I'd be inclined to go with Coffin. IMO he's much more of a battler than Hughes. To be fair to Hughes he got hung out to dry a number of times on Saturday but he also let in at least 2 softies. Not sure if he has the mental makeup to play at this level.

Tonight we will also see the true character of this team . They basically rolled over on Saturday once Erie took the 3-0 lead. There were a lot of travellers who did a disappearing act once Erie got rolling. It basically was a joke. For the sake of the long, long, long suffering Sting fans it would be nice if they could at least compete hard tonight. If I was Hatcher I'd have the pink slips ready for any guys who mail it in for the rest of the Series.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Any word from anyone on whether Fazio can go tonight ? If not I'd be inclined to go with Coffin. IMO he's much more of a battler than Hughes. To be fair to Hughes he got hung out to dry a number of times on Saturday but he also let in at least 2 softies. Not sure if he has the mental makeup to play at this level.

Tonight we will also see the true character of this team . They basically rolled over on Saturday once Erie took the 3-0 lead. There were a lot of travellers who did a disappearing act once Erie got rolling. It basically was a joke. For the sake of the long, long, long suffering Sting fans it would be nice if they could at least compete hard tonight. If I was Hatcher I'd have the pink slips ready for any guys who mail it in for the rest of the Series.

Game time decision for Fazio.Too bad qwe miss him.Hughes has just not been the backup I had hope for.Yes I would go with Coffin.Hughes I doubt will be back next year.He did let some softies which brought the team down.its hockey and they are kids and it happens.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Sting totally outclassed yet again. Better effort tonight but the same old result. Otters were playing at half effort and they still won . This is guaranteed to be over in 4.
23 years of being the joke of the league.
To achieve this level of futility is not easy - Sting are up there with the Frontenacs, Browns, Clippers, Bengals, and Leafs as being a punchline to a joke.
May not have been a good investment for the current owners as the building had 2500 empty seats and that ain't likely to change any time soon as recent drafts have been pretty spotty( especially when the team's first round pick doesnt report ). Some pretty bad miscalcuations.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Sting totally outclassed yet again. Better effort tonight but the same old result. Otters were playing at half effort and they still won . This is guaranteed to be over in 4.
To achieve this level of futility is not easy - Sting are up there with the Frontenacs, Browns, Clippers, Bengals, and Leafs as being a punchline to a joke.
May not have been a good investment for the current owners as the building had 2500 empty seats and that ain't likely to change any time soon as recent drafts have been pretty spotty( especially when the team's first round pick doesnt report ). Some pretty bad miscalcuations.

Bad miscalculations or unfortunate circumstances.Koneckny,Zacha and Chychrun gone to the NHL.Who would have thought that at the end of last season. And we are behind 3-0 to the 2nd best team in Canada with our back up goalie playing 2 of the 3 games.For a team with extremely poor D we ended up exactly where most of us thought at season start.Is Hatcher a good coach, good question but didnt have much to work with this year.Dont get me wrong,agree with the frustrations but some was bad luck.Lets see where the drafts get us.Some draft picks just don't work out.Only 2 seasons on Hatcher and some of the draft picks are coming along. See where the next few drafts end up.Someone in the leadership needs to get the reins and start to promote this team.Give away free tix to minor hockey locations to get the kids to bring their parents along to buy some food and drinks.Lots this team could do to help with attendance but doesn't have the right personnel in place.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
hatcher should go back coaching minor hockey and bring jeff barret with him cause ohl his out of there leaugue what a joke.

What would you have done different than Hatcher.You said he can't coach,what players did he screw up on.Love to hear what the bleacher coaches have to say.Please be specific.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Bad miscalculations or unfortunate circumstances.Koneckny,Zacha and Chychrun gone to the NHL.Who would have thought that at the end of last season. And we are behind 3-0 to the 2nd best team in Canada with our back up goalie playing 2 of the 3 games.For a team with extremely poor D we ended up exactly where most of us thought at season start.Is Hatcher a good coach, good question but didnt have much to work with this year.Dont get me wrong,agree with the frustrations but some was bad luck.Lets see where the drafts get us.Some draft picks just don't work out.Only 2 seasons on Hatcher and some of the draft picks are coming along. See where the next few drafts end up.Someone in the leadership needs to get the reins and start to promote this team.Give away free tix to minor hockey locations to get the kids to bring their parents along to buy some food and drinks.Lots this team could do to help with attendance but doesn't have the right personnel in place.

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Zacha was gone after last year and not a shocker that Konecny made it also as he was one of the best players in junior hockey. Neither of those should've come as a real big surprise to management.

The only big surprise was that Chychrun made it to the NHL as a defenceman out of his draft year. That was unexpected and clearly the team has no where near the depth on defence to make up his loss.

Unfortunately, with the team trading away it's first round 99 born pick (Chmelevski , and with their first round 00 pick ( Weiss) not reporting the team is already behind the 8 ball in terms of development for the future. They have some other decent 99 , and 2000 born players but certainly no stars.
In a league where you are competing with the London , the Soo, Windsor, and Erie who are star filled teams it makes it awfully hard to compete. IMO I cant see this team being a real challenger any time in the near future. There would be nothing that would give me more pleasure than to be proven wrong about this.

I agree that it's only Hatcher's second year owning the team so we need to cut him some slack but after seeing the same movie for the last 20 years it's not always easy to do.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
What would you have done different than Hatcher.You said he can't coach,what players did he screw up on.Love to hear what the bleacher coaches have to say.Please be specific.

look at the team he had last year still screwed up ,even if those guys would of come back hatcher still would of done nothing he is there only for # 28 and thats it should change his name to burgess former sudbury wolves owner running his team like him the new circus in town.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
look at the team he had last year still screwed up ,even if those guys would of come back hatcher still would of done nothing he is there only for # 28 and thats it should change his name to burgess former sudbury wolves owner running his team like him the new circus in town.

Yes last year was a disappointment along with injuries. I see you are afraid of specifics. Yes he is there for his son. As OWNER and COACH, that is his options. Get use to it.But Hatcher is only one player. He didn't loose the season and the playoff so far. One player. He was questionable whether he should have been there at start at season but has improved. Remember these are also young kids developing. So, still waiting for your answer.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
Yes last year was a disappointment along with injuries. I see you are afraid of specifics. Yes he is there for his son. As OWNER and COACH, that is his options. Get use to it.But Hatcher is only one player. He didn't loose the season and the playoff so far. One player. He was questionable whether he should have been there at start at season but has improved. Remember these are also young kids developing. So, still waiting for your answer.

coaching wise fire jeff barrett , change the powerplay lines # 10 not even playing quality minutes powerplay unit plays the hole 2 mins thats not good # 19 has too much ice time , so has #27 ,#26 and moving #16 to foward that was stupid anything else nick sinclair and mark glavin are only pupets have no say in team decision !!!!!!!!!! bring back trevor :cry:

massey

Sep 5, 2012
coaching wise fire jeff barrett , change the powerplay lines # 10 not even playing quality minutes powerplay unit plays the hole 2 mins thats not good # 19 has too much ice time , so has #27 ,#26 and moving #16 to foward that was stupid anything else nick sinclair and mark glavin are only pupets have no say in team decision !!!!!!!!!! bring back trevor :cry:

Moving 16 to forward was the smartest move Hatcher made,Should have done it sooner.His D skills was very limited and provided much needed toughness up front and has planted some goals along the way.Latta and Helt didn't work out as so their toughness was missed.Only left Lindo to do the tough work.As for 26 and 27,2 of the most improved players on the team and both deserving of the minutes they are playing.They both play 100% for each game.#26 was one of the most dangerous players on the ice with his speed and scoring abilities.#27 was the best checking forward on the team and yet could put it in the net. 19 had his flashes and some games maybe got too much and some not enough.Like some other players.Not sure #10 should complain much about ice time.Was on the Pk a lot.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
Moving 16 to forward was the smartest move Hatcher made,Should have done it sooner.His D skills was very limited and provided much needed toughness up front and has planted some goals along the way.Latta and Helt didn't work out as so their toughness was missed.Only left Lindo to do the tough work.As for 26 and 27,2 of the most improved players on the team and both deserving of the minutes they are playing.They both play 100% for each game.#26 was one of the most dangerous players on the ice with his speed and scoring abilities.#27 was the best checking forward on the team and yet could put it in the net. 19 had his flashes and some games maybe got too much and some not enough.Like some other players.Not sure #10 should complain much about ice time.Was on the Pk a lot.

his this yu Hatch.:laugh::laugh:wake up open your eyes this team his in big trouble

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010

The Sting new that Weiss would not play this season when they drafted him. He had already committed to the USNDT. They expected Konnecy to be coming back and figured that they could take a chance on Weiss that he will report this year. Have you heard of Patrick Kane? Same thing.

Without Konency and Chychrun, this team went from a contender to a team making squeaking into the playoffs. Did anybody expect the Sting to beat Erie? No. They played a good game Monday and made it exciting to the end. And yes, it sucks; another 1st round exit. However, how many players have we graduated to the NHL at 18 in the last few years? It's pretty impressive. Look at the talent that we have been lucky to see in a Sting uniform. Stamkos, Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Murphy, Konency, Chychrun, Zacha, ..... (yes I know a couple of those guys were 19, I was just referring to the great talent that has worn a Sting uniform in the most recent past)

I am glad I have been able to witness what talent we have had in this Sting organization over the last 10 years.

One last note, and not to you Bobby, however, it is "Sting" not "Stings" and if you are going to refer to the teams as a whole and have to use a "s" on the end, it would be Sting's. Thank you.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
This team has shown no improvement since Oct. Other team we have played showed vast improvements in their systems, we have not ! I see this as low level coaching, also there is virtually no communication with the players on the bench. Coaching staff could sit in the stands for all they do during the game, all they need is for someone to open and close the door !

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
This team has shown no improvement since Oct. Other team we have played showed vast improvements in their systems, we have not ! I see this as low level coaching, also there is virtually no communication with the players on the bench. Coaching staff could sit in the stands for all they do during the game, all they need is for someone to open and close the door !

well said :yo::handclap:

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont

one more thing hatch sinclair had a trade in place with windsor for fazio and lajeunesse and yu stop it typical american cowardless move.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
one more thing hatch sinclair had a trade in place with windsor for fazio and lajeunesse and yu stop it typical american cowardless move.

This is the 1st I have ever heard of this. What was in return? Who stopped the trade?

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
The Sting new that Weiss would not play this season when they drafted him. He had already committed to the USNDT. They expected Konnecy to be coming back and figured that they could take a chance on Weiss that he will report this year. Have you heard of Patrick Kane? Same thing.

Without Konency and Chychrun, this team went from a contender to a team making squeaking into the playoffs. Did anybody expect the Sting to beat Erie? No. They played a good game Monday and made it exciting to the end. And yes, it sucks; another 1st round exit. However, how many players have we graduated to the NHL at 18 in the last few years? It's pretty impressive. Look at the talent that we have been lucky to see in a Sting uniform. Stamkos, Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Murphy, Konency, Chychrun, Zacha, ..... (yes I know a couple of those guys were 19, I was just referring to the great talent that has worn a Sting uniform in the most recent past)

I am glad I have been able to witness what talent we have had in this Sting organization over the last 10 years.

One last note, and not to you Bobby, however, it is "Sting" not "Stings" and if you are going to refer to the teams as a whole and have to use a "s" on the end, it would be Sting's. Thank you.

If you are content just watching good players come and play for the organization then good for you. Personally, I want to see the team win. Since 1994 the Sting have made it out of the first round of the playoffs a grand total of TWICE with ZERO championships ( not even any finals appearances for that matter) .
This organization has the worst record in ALL of the OHL . Don't you think Sarnia fans deserve better than that ? Or is it okay for the team to suck year after year ? Should Sarnia fans just be happy that we get to see really good players play while the other teams in the league enjoy success ?

The irony is that the only reason you got to bear witness to all the players you listed except for Konecny (who they aquired in a disastrous trade, and Murphy who they took a flier on ) is because of the team's extreme futility. The Sting were able to draft guys like Stamkos , Galchenyuk , and Yakupov because they finished DEAD LAST in the league the year before. Talk about low hanging fruit - it doesn't get any lower than that !

And if you think Tyler Weiss should be mentioned in the same breath as Patrick Kane you may want to give your head a shake. He was fighting for icetime this year on the USNTDP ( not USNDT ! )

Also, while you are on the subject of being anal about grammar - the word "knew" has a "k " in it when you use it in the context of understanding a fact. No. Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad