Sarnia Sting 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
They went all in trading for Konecny, Graham, Studnicka, Mistele,Paliani and traded 10 picks in the Konecny,Studnicka trade.

Yikes, I thought knew they traded for Konecny, Graham and Mistele. I didn't think they went that hard. That's troubling though because they don't really have the option of getting right back at it. Might be a rough couple years in Sarnia.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sting

Yikes, I thought knew they traded for Konecny, Graham and Mistele. I didn't think they went that hard. That's troubling though because they don't really have the option of getting right back at it. Might be a rough couple years in Sarnia.

Actually they have a decent team returning, though if Konecny and Zacha don't return, it will be interesting, set in goal with Fazio and Hughes,D will need some work,though I think Chrcyrun returns for 1 year, plus King and Spinozzi as o/as on D too.
Not sure but work ahead.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
All in to win their division and still lose in round 1...good management of assets

I thought it was poor too. Yes they added big with Konency at deadline but they also traded away chmelevski,Hodgson, Renaud and Nikandrov.
Lost all those guys for Mistele, Paliani and Studnicka. Mistele was a nice pickup with Konency but the rest were kinda washes. And then they added Graham who is solid but wasn't an over the top goalie.

I think they made themselves from an average team to a good team but not great. Especially with how deep the west was they weren't going to get out of west unless they added more.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Actually they have a decent team returning, though if Konecny and Zacha don't return, it will be interesting, set in goal with Fazio and Hughes,D will need some work,though I think Chrcyrun returns for 1 year, plus King and Spinozzi as o/as on D too.
Not sure but work ahead.

The concern would be lack of picks, the team may be good but you don't have the assets to make them great. Might be better to sell and retool. At least in the long term.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I thought it was poor too. Yes they added big with Konency at deadline but they also traded away chmelevski,Hodgson, Renaud and Nikandrov.
Lost all those guys for Mistele, Paliani and Studnicka. Mistele was a nice pickup with Konency but the rest were kinda washes. And then they added Graham who is solid but wasn't an over the top goalie.

I think they made themselves from an average team to a good team but not great. Especially with how deep the west was they weren't going to get out of west unless they added more.

It's one thing to add pieces to a team to make a really good contender.
It's another when you try to add a half a team to pieces.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
They went all in trading for Konecny, Graham, Studnicka, Mistele,Paliani and traded 10 picks in the Konecny,Studnicka trade.

The only year they're hurting for picks is actually 2016 and that has no bearing on what they do moving forward. They have 3 3rd in 2017, a 2nd and 3 4ths in 2018, also 2nds in 2019, 2020.

They also didn't trade picks away to acquire Paliani. They actually got a 2nd a 3rd and 2 4ths when they acquired Paliani because they moved Hodgson.

sidewhinder91

Mar 31, 2016
They won't be hurting as much as you'd think. Last year they traded Deangelo to the Soo for a significant amount of draft picks at the deadline.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Yeah I think Sarnia is still in pretty good shape, especially if Zacha and/or Konency are sent back for their draft + 2 seasons. This loss certainly still hurts quite a bit though.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sting

The only year they're hurting for picks is actually 2016 and that has no bearing on what they do moving forward. They have 3 3rd in 2017, a 2nd and 3 4ths in 2018, also 2nds in 2019, 2020.

They also didn't trade picks away to acquire Paliani. They actually got a 2nd a 3rd and 2 4ths when they acquired Paliani because they moved Hodgson.

Yes the Sting,pretty much worked over Saginaw in the Hodgson deal like Windsor did to Flint in the Kirwan trade.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Yes the Sting,pretty much worked over Saginaw in the Hodgson deal like Windsor did to Flint in the Kirwan trade.

Sting is not in a bad position as far as draft picks go.Doesnt matter how many draft picks you have but more on the scouting talent evaluating them.Based on last night performance,no players will be in the NHL next year.Zacha might make it based on sun night performance vs last night.IMO Konecny would benefit from another year in the OHL to build some more size.He has lots of skill, skating abilities,skill ability and a hot shot. The true decision on whether it was a decent trade depends on whether he is back.Philly is short up front on their team though.If he is back and healthy,he would garner a number of picks from a team going for it.

Lets give the Soo credit for there win and the series.Halverson,outstanding.They were a hard working team that was fast and had more desire to win than the Sting.
The Sting except for the first 5 min, got standing around trying to be one man shows.We looked like the keystone cops on a few of the PP.

Hodgson deal was an awesome trade for sure.Wow.

This is a disappointing season for sure but I never thought the team was much more than maybe a second rounder at best.The Sting will have a number of players back next year.Depends on the direction the team wants to go.Goaltending should be OK.D should be stronger with age.If they get the ice time deserved,Troy,Anthony and McGregor looks exciting.No they are not going to be a league winner but will provide good entertainment.

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
What a battle between these 2 teams. This series showed me how much Zacha can take over and make things happen. Mistele was also another I noticed that could make things happen around him. It's easy to find negative things after being eliminated, but I think Sarnia is in a good place with ownership, coaches and returning players. Looking forward to this division rival not only next year but years to come.

Schlerk

Aug 31, 2013
Sarnia
Sting is not in a bad position as far as draft picks go.Doesnt matter how many draft picks you have but more on the scouting talent evaluating them.Based on last night performance,no players will be in the NHL next year.Zacha might make it based on sun night performance vs last night.IMO Konecny would benefit from another year in the OHL to build some more size.He has lots of skill, skating abilities,skill ability and a hot shot. The true decision on whether it was a decent trade depends on whether he is back.Philly is short up front on their team though.If he is back and healthy,he would garner a number of picks from a team going for it.

Lets give the Soo credit for there win and the series.Halverson,outstanding.They were a hard working team that was fast and had more desire to win than the Sting.
The Sting except for the first 5 min, got standing around trying to be one man shows.We looked like the keystone cops on a few of the PP.

Hodgson deal was an awesome trade for sure.Wow.

This is a disappointing season for sure but I never thought the team was much more than maybe a second rounder at best.The Sting will have a number of players back next year.Depends on the direction the team wants to go. Goaltending should be OK.D should be stronger with age.If they get the ice time deserved,Troy,Anthony and McGregor looks exciting.No they are not going to be a league winner but will provide good entertainment.

yeah agree there; sting are ok ..got picks back dealing Hodgson and got picks in De Angelo deal. Sting pretty solid in net next year. D should be ok, with work. If Zacha and / Koneckny come back that speaks for itself. Some good young talent up front.

Congrats to the Soo though. They never caved or gave up under what many deemed a write off game (on road after two straight losses in front of full house) and showed character despite being outshot so bad. Surrounded Mistele at the buzzer for shooting it but I don't think he meant anything by it but Soo guys didn't like it; showed some character. Halverson was the difference not only Game 7 but other games as well. Hot goalies...eh? Oh well that's playoff hockey for ya. Hot goalies can win you games - and series.'

That said I'll be back in my seat at the SSEC next Sting season.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I wonder how the Sting would fair under someone like George Burnett...? Often have the better players but too seldom the better team when in the playoffs.

hardoil3232

Mar 3, 2011
I wonder how the Sting would fair under someone like George Burnett...? Often have the better players but too seldom the better team when in the playoffs.

derian will want kelton hatcher to have lots of ice time

Kings1954

Jan 27, 2015
lots of old players who will notl be returning, what will the roster look like

Last edited:

tommy89

Dec 12, 2011
derian will want kelton hatcher to have lots of ice time

Hopefully Hatcher took some notes from the situation in Flint, still can't believe Branch took away their 3rd overall pick, that's more punishment and damaging to the fan base than the owner... Anyhow I would imagine Darian gives his son appropriate ice time or his son will bare some unnecessary negativity and that's not just bad coaching but bad parenting. Will be interesting to see what Kelton brings to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad