Sarnia Sting 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
If you are content just watching good players come and play for the organization then good for you. Personally, I want to see the team win. Since 1994 the Sting have made it out of the first round of the playoffs a grand total of TWICE with ZERO championships ( not even any finals appearances for that matter) .
This organization has the worst record in ALL of the OHL . Don't you think Sarnia fans deserve better than that ? Or is it okay for the team to suck year after year ? Should Sarnia fans just be happy that we get to see really good players play while the other teams in the league enjoy success ?

The irony is that the only reason you got to bear witness to all the players you listed except for Konecny (who they aquired in a disastrous trade, and Murphy who they took a flier on ) is because of the team's extreme futility. The Sting were able to draft guys like Stamkos , Galchenyuk , and Yakupov because they finished DEAD LAST in the league the year before. Talk about low hanging fruit - it doesn't get any lower than that !

And if you think Tyler Weiss should be mentioned in the same breath as Patrick Kane you may want to give your head a shake. He was fighting for icetime this year on the USNTDP ( not USNDT ! )

Also, while you are on the subject of being anal about grammar - the word "knew" has a "k " in it when you use it in the context of understanding a fact. No. Thank You.

Thank you for correcting me on my grammar. Stupid mistake.

Anyways, Weiss has played the most games on that team this year. As for ice time, there is no stat for that, but looking at his production, I don't believe that he is fighting for ice time. I could be wrong because I am only looking at Team USA stats.

As for comparing him to Kane, I was referring to him being drafted knowing that he wasn't reporting when he was 16. I guess the better comparison would be Max Jones. I'm not comparing the play, just the fact that London drafted him knowing that they would not see him until he was 17.

As for wanting to watch a winner, of course, everyone wants their team to win. And, yes the Sting playoff record has sucked. But I am also happy with who I have been able to see play.

As always, who knows what next year is going to bring, but the Sting do have a few wild cards where we could have a top team or we could be middle of the pack depending on who reports.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
Getting beaten like a rented mule again.

Fact is, the Sarnia franchise has the worst playoff record since its inception.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
his this yu Hatch.:laugh::laugh:wake up open your eyes this team his in big trouble

Haha,no Hatcher here.Just a STH. If you don't think 26 and 27 deserved the ice, then your hockey talent is questionable. Not sure who is blind here but I do know that parents and relatives of team players tend to wear blinders. Again,you only have smart A$$ comments and no specifics as asked for.Be glad when your player moves on.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Zacha was gone after last year and not a shocker that Konecny made it also as he was one of the best players in junior hockey. Neither of those should've come as a real big surprise to management.

The only big surprise was that Chychrun made it to the NHL as a defenceman out of his draft year. That was unexpected and clearly the team has no where near the depth on defence to make up his loss.

Unfortunately, with the team trading away it's first round 99 born pick (Chmelevski , and with their first round 00 pick ( Weiss) not reporting the team is already behind the 8 ball in terms of development for the future. They have some other decent 99 , and 2000 born players but certainly no stars.
In a league where you are competing with the London , the Soo, Windsor, and Erie who are star filled teams it makes it awfully hard to compete. IMO I cant see this team being a real challenger any time in the near future. There would be nothing that would give me more pleasure than to be proven wrong about this.

I agree that it's only Hatcher's second year owning the team so we need to cut him some slack but after seeing the same movie for the last 20 years it's not always easy to do.

I know Konecny family well and even they were surprised he made it based on talks to his agent and Flyer personnel.. They thought he would be in the OHL for one more season.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
Haha,no Hatcher here.Just a STH. If you don't think 26 and 27 deserved the ice, then your hockey talent is questionable. Not sure who is blind here but I do know that parents and relatives of team players tend to wear blinders. Again,you only have smart A$$ comments and no specifics as asked for.Be glad when your player moves on.

don't worry we will be happy when #10 moves on and more of them ask for a trade playing for this joke of a coach.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
I know Konecny family well and even they were surprised he made it based on talks to his agent and Flyer personnel.. They thought he would be in the OHL for one more season.

hey massey if yu would be loyal fan and supporter yu would see how did hatcher treated those kids , stos never played for a month hough could of had awsome year playing midget and brock perry could of good for jr b team somewere .:rant::rant:

massey

Sep 5, 2012
hey massey if yu would be loyal fan and supporter yu would see how did hatcher treated those kids , stos never played for a month hough could of had awsome year playing midget and brock perry could of good for jr b team somewere .:rant::rant:

So who would u sit to play Stos, Perry and Hough. Specific names.
Fighting for a playoff spot doesn't give you that luxury

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
So who would u sit to play Stos, Perry and Hough. Specific names.
Fighting for a playoff spot doesn't give you that luxury

of course it does... It gives others the message work harder cuz someone in the stands wants on the ice.
Perry Jr. B assessment is correct. Latta or TL, or FH, or some of the guys who felt their positions were assured.
You don't win playoffs when your best players don't show up. Fazio could not do it all. Defence sucked to be honest. Everyone wants to score goals... scoring goals gets you girls...
This team had no cohesiveness, lack of leadership from the top down.. no guidance, no instruction from the bench. A pat on the back after a good shift goes a long way and so does an explanation of what they did wrong, and how they could improve it.
And don't pick on 28. Sure he is the coach's son, but he was a rookie. Look at the others who did not pull their weight and just not on defence.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont

of course it does... It gives others the message work harder cuz someone in the stands wants on the ice.
Perry Jr. B assessment is correct. Latta or TL, or FH, or some of the guys who felt their positions were assured.
You don't win playoffs when your best players don't show up. Fazio could not do it all. Defence sucked to be honest. Everyone wants to score goals... scoring goals gets you girls...
This team had no cohesiveness, lack of leadership from the top down.. no guidance, no instruction from the bench. A pat on the back after a good shift goes a long way and so does an explanation of what they did wrong, and how they could improve it.
And don't pick on 28. Sure he is the coach's son, but he was a rookie. Look at the others who did not pull their weight and just not on defence.

well said :):handclap:

massey

Sep 5, 2012
playoffs we had no chances in playoffs:handclap::laugh: good performance vs erie. and playing #28 on pk and regular shift brutal

So again you are unable to name players who you would sit. U mention Hatcher who is a D-man so sitting him for Stos, Hough and Perry would make no sense.

Making playoffs was important as I am sure people like you would be crying the sky is falling if we played those players you mentioned and didn't make the playoffs.Yes we didn't do well against Erie,the #2 team in Canada,go Figuire.

I am in no way supporting our coaching staff. Yes they need much improvement in their coaching skills. A little pat on the back goes a long ways. But remember,Hatcher owns the team and will be around for a while, Like it or Not.

Like it or not 28 is going to be around also. He did no worst than #20 although #20 did improve finally in the latter part of the season

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Congratulations to Theo Calvas, the only Sting player that didn't have a -(minus) in the plus/minus category.

Kings1954

Jan 27, 2015
Only 4 players were a plus in the regular season. Spinozzi at +13 , King +12, Sproveiro +9 and Kyrou +6.

Kings1954

Jan 27, 2015
Only 4 players were a plus in the regular season. Spinozzi at +13 , King +12, Sproveiro +9 and Kyrou +6.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Getting beaten like a rented mule again.

Fact is, the Sarnia franchise has the worst playoff record since its inception.

Here in peace. Being a Wolves fan I understand your frustration but they are playing Erie. That team is unreal and I picked them to win it all.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Here is my recap on the 2016/17 season

Goaltending - Fazio was the MVP of this team. Without him we're likely talking about yet another 1st overall pick at the draft. Hughes instills zero confidence going forward which puts the sting in a tough position for next year. He's (Fazio) an asset that would likely get you more than you usually would for an OA goalie since some contenders next year may be looking for help in net. That said, where is this team without him next year? I see a Fazio/Coffin tandem

Defense - Spinozzi far exceeded expectations for his OA year given his OHL career. Replacing him and King will be a HUGE chore for Sinclair. There is no one else left on the backend that brings anything close what these 2 did this year. Calvas will likely step up and Hatcher is a serviceable OHL player who could surprise and be even more than that. Schlichting is not worthy of an OA spot in my opinion. I personally like Ernst (either on the backend or upfront) but again I do not see him worthy of an OA spot. I haven't scanned league wide alternatives but I'm sure there would be decisions to be made elsewhere that could land better OA players in Sarnia like Lindo and Owen Sound last year. I understand there are a couple of prospects in their plans but asking a first year player to be your #2/3 dman is a big ask. This will be the organizations biggest offseason issue to address

Forward - I am not someone in the Kyrou camp but those were some impressive numbers he put up. I see way to much 'me' in his game with little involvement of teamates. That said he lead the team this year and will lead it again next year. Rymsha started off with a bang but more like a whimper in the end. He's worn out his welcome elsewhere twice so that is something to keep an eye on for next year. Ruzicka will improve drastically next year but his game leaves you wanting for more far too often. McGregor is a player I thought would take charge this year, so to say he was my personal disappointment is an understatement. Lajeuneusse either lost the confidence of the coaches or something because he is not the same player from the past couple of seasons as the season progressed. Josling made more of an impression as the season went on - something I would have hoped for for any of Helt, Hinz, Latta. Knowing this season was for finishing 7th or 8th, why we didn't utilize more of Perry, Stos, Hough is beyond me.

Management - I have never been a fan of Hatcher's coaching but he surprised me last year and gave him credit for it. This year is more of what I thought we would be getting from the beginning. I"ll leave it as 'to be determined' but its a 'what have you done for me lately' business and he hasn't done much lately. While he finally relented later in the season with set pairings (#28/#20 were a brutal pairing) and line up adjustments (#16 upfront) he did nothing for next year with introducing a much needed younger D or utilizing the younger forwards at his disposal (#11,etc). I have really liked many of Sinclair's moves since taking over. I liked his drafting and taking Zacha in the import draft as examples. That said some of those bold picks haven't panned out in players reporting which is vital when the higher end picks like (#19 & #13) don't produce as planned. Weiss not reporting I'll give him a pass since we thought we'd be a much better team with Konecny and Chychrum returning so he could develop elsewhere for a year. I've asked some people in the know and they do not think he will report next year - that will be a major f*** ** if it comes to that.

My biggest disappointment really is on what is yet to come. I fail to see where this team will be any better next year, especially with the big holes to fill on the backend. I have a few nagging issues with the adminstrative side of things and what is pretty much neglect for season ticket holders but i'll hold those comments for some other time. Until then feel free to discuss

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Here is my recap on the 2016/17 season
I see a Fazio/Coffin tandem

progressed. Josling made more of an impression as the season went on - something I would have hoped for for any of Helt, Hinz, Latta. Knowing this season was for finishing 7th or 8th, why we didn't utilize more of Perry, Stos, Hough is beyond me.

Management - I have never been a fan of Hatcher's coaching but he surprised me last year and gave

My biggest disappointment really is on what is yet to come. I fail to see where this team will be any better next year, especially with the big holes to fill on the backend. I have a few nagging issues with the adminstrative side of things and what is pretty much neglect for season ticket holders but i'll hold those comments for some other time. Until then feel free to discuss

i agree with just about everything you said... except the forwards and the fact hatcher surprised you last year....
Last first... Hatcher had a good team handed to him and could not deal the knockout punch... like many sarnia teams and coaches before him.
As for forwards, of the six you mentioned, I would have given more ice to Hough, Helt and Hinz...
Hinz will be a very very good player in the league... if the sting don't discourage him too much.
Hough will be a strong power forward who tried too hard getting first goal... he missed some easy opportunities.
Helt i thought was a very good skater and set up man... his finishing touches were missing.
Perry... too slow and clumsy...
Latta improved but is slow...
Stos... lot of spirit and grit, but sometimes that is not enough for whatever style Hatcher has in mind... and after two years, still don't know what it is.
Will miss Fazio... Hughes will not lead the way... slow movement and horrendous glove
I agree... Coffin and Fazio if he returns...
As for defence, what you see today is what you will get tomorrow...it doesn't get any better than that since Ersnt and schlicting will be leaders on back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce