Sarnia Sting 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyinmyblood

Nov 11, 2014
Congrats to #12 and #23 in the black and white uniforms for getting Mr Branch's hockey team back in the game in the second.First period a good game of hockey both ways then the ref's took over.2nd Erie goal was clearly off side by 2 feet.6 otters players on the ice for 20 sec no call.2 hander across back of legs no call.Holding stick 2 feet from ref.Congrats to tough guy MacDermid (6'1",222 lbs)for taking on Lajeunesse(5"1" 190lbs)For the whiners on the otters thread about dirty play is that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Genovese peeled himself off the end boards tonight.

Great comeback Sting.Hard fought game.You deserved a better outcome.Go get them tuesday night.

What an enjoyable hockey game that was. Don't count the Sting out yet and they are playing this good without their top defenceman. C'mon refs get your act together that was a joke!

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
Congrats to #12 and #23 in the black and white uniforms for getting Mr Branch's hockey team back in the game in the second.First period a good game of hockey both ways then the ref's took over.2nd Erie goal was clearly off side by 2 feet.6 otters players on the ice for 20 sec no call.2 hander across back of legs no call.Holding stick 2 feet from ref.Congrats to tough guy MacDermid (6'1",222 lbs)for taking on Lajeunesse(5"1" 190lbs)For the whiners on the otters thread about dirty play is that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Genovese peeled himself off the end boards tonight.

Great comeback Sting.Hard fought game.You deserved a better outcome.Go get them tuesday night.

in no way shape or form are the Erie Otters Branch's team. that honor go to another unnamed team.
lots of bad missed calls for both teams this series
the refs do not score any goals that may hand a team an advantage but it is up to the players on the ice what they do with it . i also believe one of the Otters goals to night was a short handed one. so is that the refs fault also ?

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Watched a lot of hockey in a lot of different rinks but that game ranked right up there with the most entertaining games I've seen in quite some time. Great job filling the rink and a hard fought comeback after 10 minutes of poor hockey.

This team is proving a lot right now.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
in no way shape or form are the Erie Otters Branch's team. that honor go to another unnamed team.
the refs do not score any goals that may hand a team an advantage but it is up to the players on the ice what they do with it . i also believe one of the Otters goals to night was a short handed one. so is that the refs fault also ?

Damn those Peterborough Petes.

Stingland

Jul 27, 2013
The Sting played a great game.The top line of the Otters are very dangerous and hard to beat especially when the refs are a little too one sided in their calls. Play hard again on Tuesday.

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
Gutsy game and comeback in the 3rd. I thought Peirog and Zacha were gunna run away with it in the first period, those 2 were possessed. Too bad we clanked a couple off the bar after getting up 2, as going up 3-0 woulda really got our momentum riding high.

The fact were were clearly the better team in the first then, started the 2nd on the PK after the scrum with Mcdavid was a bit of a joke. Going toe to toe with the Otters, should be another good one on tues

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
Watched a lot of hockey in a lot of different rinks but that game ranked right up there with the most entertaining games I've seen in quite some time. Great job filling the rink and a hard fought comeback after 10 minutes of poor hockey.

This team is proving a lot right now.

Agree 100%

That is what the city is capable of in terms of support - Sarnia will support a well run team.

As for the team, a series like this shows them that they are capable of playing playoff hockey and moving deep into the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see the direction the new owners take - if they want their own people in key positions. From what I have seen if new owners don't want Trevor coaching, some team will. I think he has shown he is and will be a legit OHL coach.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Agree 100%

That is what the city is capable of in terms of support - Sarnia will support a well run team.

As for the team, a series like this shows them that they are capable of playing playoff hockey and moving deep into the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see the direction the new owners take - if they want their own people in key positions. From what I have seen if new owners don't want Trevor coaching, some team will. I think he has shown he is and will be a legit OHL coach.

Last night's game reminded me what the old SSEC used to be like when the arena opened in the late 98'. The place was rocking which refutes the idea that Sarnia is no longer an OHL hockey town. Years of mismanagement brought the franchise to its knees but the new owners must have been pleased with what they saw last night. Having said that , it will take more than a good playoff performance this year to bring the faithful back in numbers. It will take some time but the foundation is in place with this team to do exactly that.

I liked how Letowski had the team trapping once they got ahead last night. It was too bad that they had that disastrous 10 minute stretch where all defence went out the window in the second.

Letowski has come a long ways as a coach and it would be a real mistake IMO to replace him next year if that is indeed in the cards. The only thing that I didn't like that I saw from the coaching staff was not benching some of the defence ( one of the long time veterans in particular) when they made some terrible mistakes. I would actually like to see both O'Donnell and Black play more as both of them are much smarter defensive players than some of the veterans who are logging a lot of ice.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Think he is referring to the London Knights

463.jpg

mohockey

mohockey
Jan 9, 2014
Erie, Pa
Was hoping to see the game on Neulion, but it was not carried. Radio is just not the same. Game 3 indicates that this series is not in any bag. Sarnia, predicted to be out in four, is playing tough hockey. Can't wait for Tuesday.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011

Getting in a pi$$ing match over refereeing is generally a mug's game but I would really love to know how it was possible that McDavid didn't get a penalty at the end of the first period when he clearly threw a punch at Chapman. Superstar or not - when it's that blatant the refs look like a joke when they don't call something. Five other guys went to the box and the Next One got a get out of jail free card.

Other than that I thought the refereeing was equally bad on both sides.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Chapman isn't known as an angel. Guess the ref was being proactive. I am sure McDavid threw the so called punch for a reason. Just saying.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Probably the same reason why the Sarnia player did not get a penalty for a blatant slash on Daren Raddysh in game 2 that put him out of the game. Same bad referees.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Probably the same reason why the Sarnia player did not get a penalty for a blatant slash on Daren Raddysh in game 2 that put him out of the game. Same bad referees.

Zacha did get a 2 minute major for slashing, just should have been much more it was a viscous slash. He is a very undisciplined player.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Getting in a pi$$ing match over refereeing is generally a mug's game but I would really love to know how it was possible that McDavid didn't get a penalty at the end of the first period when he clearly threw a punch at Chapman. Superstar or not - when it's that blatant the refs look like a joke when they don't call something. Five other guys went to the box and the Next One got a get out of jail free card.

Other than that I thought the refereeing was equally bad on both sides.

You haven't been following this thread for months I'd guess. Erie is getting the short end of calls for a while now. They are a clean team. League conspiracy to hold em down. Only London gets the benefit of calls! ;: ( not all posters but a common theme with some-- and with all teams-yes London as well ) I just don't get it. Yes it's bad, but both ways. Blinded by fandom I guess. I really try not to bring it up unless responding to someone else. You can't do anything about it.

In all seriousness your last sentence sums up almost every game in the O.. It's inconsistent game to game, but both ways. Its rarely the reason a team loses a game, and more so a series, but it gets jumped on by so many. Easier to do I guess than critique your fav teams mistakes or shortcomings in any given game.

And you are right, it's a mugs game

Good hard fought series it sounds like. Hope it continues and fans of both enjoy the play, and forget the calls. Bad ones happen but it usually close to fair

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Chapman isn't known as an angel. Guess the ref was being proactive. I am sure McDavid threw the so called punch for a reason. Just saying.

If you didnt see the play,not sure why you are commenting.No one said Chapman was an angel.McDavid should have been gone also but when you are a superstar,they get special treatment,no question about.Should have been lots of penalties on the play,not just Sarnia.If any other player whined as much as he did to the ref,there would be unsportsman penalties galour.Just saying

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Zacha did get a 2 minute major for slashing, just should have been much more it was a viscous slash. He is a very undisciplined player.

And what about your player with a 2 hander that broke his stick across the back of sarnia player legs that broke his stick with NO CALL.Dont go there whiner

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If you didnt see the play,not sure why you are commenting.No one said Chapman was an angel.McDavid should have been gone also but when you are a superstar,they get special treatment,no question about.Should have been lots of penalties on the play,not just Sarnia.If any other player whined as much as he did to the ref,there would be unsportsman penalties galour.Just saying

Massey are you running the ship now. We have to get your permission now to make an opinion? Nice. It's the play offs in the OHL. The refs are the same every where. You either like their decisions or you don't. The Otters need McDavid to win this series. Are you saying he isn't being targeted hence the whining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad