Sarnia Sting 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Hes injured I believe. Shoulder (?) Thought I read that here, I'm sure a Sting fan can correct if incorrect. Hopefully he's back, the kid is the best player on the Sting at 16. A treat to watch wether a sting fan or opponent fan.
Kudos to Sarnia for playing such a tight series without the manchild in the lineup, as of yet.

new2sting

Sep 19, 2014
They keep saying he is day to day but not sure I believe that. I believe he is having surgery in the off season.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
If true, others will have to step up. It's too bad he's missing PO action so far, but these things happen. Can't make excuses and I've seen none of that from Sting fans. Kudos. Hope you can grab another W to get to at least a game six for Sting fans

hockeyinmyblood

Nov 11, 2014
If true, others will have to step up. It's too bad he's missing PO action so far, but these things happen. Can't make excuses and I've seen none of that from Sting fans. Kudos. Hope you can grab another W to get to at least a game six for Sting fans

This team has been stepping up all series. They are young and determined. However, they need to play more disciplined, and if that happens along with a couple good bounces, things could get interesting. Win or lose, I just hope it is an exciting game tonight.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
This team has been stepping up all series. They are young and determined. However, they need to play more disciplined, and if that happens along with a couple good bounces, things could get interesting. Win or lose, I just hope it is an exciting game tonight.

Zacha was quoted in an article that he needs to be more disciplined.He admitted taking stupid penalties and that he needed control that.Glad he stepped up and owned it.Hope its an awesome game and the refs dont determine the game.Both teams are exciting to watch.Just under 50 seats left.Sounds like another sellout.Sunday night was apparantly first sell out in 10 yrs.Good for the new owners.Awesome if it is 2 in a row.RBC will be noisy.

hockeyfan3930

Mar 22, 2015
what do you think the series would be at if Chychrun was in the lineup? it has been close without him, and he could have been the difference maker last game.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Congrats to Erie.No way we can beat the Otters and the ref's.Couple beside me for these 2 games cheering for Erie said "Sarnia got burnt 2 games by the refs".Really really sad to watch.Oh well no excuse,we played poorly for 25 min and let them back in the game.Mr Branch got his way with his "Prodigy" and his #2 team in so he is happy.Erie is happy.I am happy knowing we played with them and should have won both games.I cant believe I am saying this but "Go Knights Go".Wow Mr Branch,who are you going to get the ref's to help out here.LOL

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Congrats to Erie.No way we can beat the Otters and the ref's.Couple beside me for these 2 games cheering for Erie said "Sarnia got burnt 2 games by the refs".Really really sad to watch.Oh well no excuse,we played poorly for 25 min and let them back in the game.Mr Branch got his way with his "Prodigy" and his #2 team in so he is happy.Erie is happy.I am happy knowing we played with them and should have won both games.I cant believe I am saying this but "Go Knights Go".Wow Mr Branch,who are you going to get the ref's to help out here.LOL
Erie fans felt the same way when Sarnia was in town. Refs are just terrible in this league.

Erie outshot Sarnia 25-7 in the 2nd and 3rd period. So largely erie just outplayed them after the first

PP were 3-2 erie in this game and Sarnia had 2 penatlies that were a delay of game and too many men.. Hard to lie about those if you are the refs. Just dumb penatlies for Sarnia. Its the playoffs, there are going to be lots of border line calls that don't get called because the Refs don't want teams having 5-6 PPs in a game. They sorta let the guys play physical unless it gets out of control and they are forced to slow down the physical play a bit. So if you are theorizing that erie was taking a bunch of cheap and dirty hits or plays on Sarnia and the refs ignore them then my guess is sarnia does the same, because I know for a fact that Sarnia had some questionable plays in erie. It's just a physical series and it's the playoffs, more cheap unseen things occur and more stuff is gotten away with

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
Let off the gas after the first and got burned. When a team like the sting doesnt forecheck hard and play defense by playing offense against a team like Erie thats what usually happens. Also got burned by the refs...the noncall on the goalie interference before the Strome break was pathetic. Dupuis stood on his head and deserved a better result.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
The honest truth is this series could be 3-1 Sarnia but could also be 4-0 erie. Erie overlooked Sarnia in game 1 and as result lost and gave the sting enormous confidence, yet erie played terrible and only lost 3-2. could have easily won that game themselves if they get a lucky bounce late. Game 2 could have been more of a blow out if dupuis doesn't make 2-3 big time saves. Game 3 and 4 erie starts off sluggish (and it doesn't help that Williams has been poor in games 3/4) and yet they come back and win them because of talent and resiliency

Other than the slow starts (and terrible games from Williams) erie has controlled the series. They have outshot Sarnia 82-50 in these last 2 games and pretty much all of Sarnia goals have been poor defense from erie or bad goaltending. Then dupuis has stood on his head. If the goaltending and effort would be better from erie they would have maybe only given up 6-7 goals all series not the 12 they have. Sarnia has been impressive with their effort but largerly its been erie who has unimpressed with their lack of effort, especially early on. When they pretty much wake up, like the 2nd period and beyond tonight, they dominate.. Again shots 32-13 after the first tonight.. But dupuis has been pretty amazing all series, has been the real difference

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

Massey, even though the Sting are down in this series, your team has turned a lot of heads around the league. Sarnia is not just young, but it's a talented young squad--the future looks bright in Stingland! Kyrou, Salinitri, Zacha, Chychrun---to name just a few of the upcoming stars.
In any case, I'm with you, "Go Knights Go"...I'm just looking forward to seeing McDavid's last few games at the Bud Gardens!

hockeyinmyblood

Nov 11, 2014
Let off the gas after the first and got burned. When a team like the sting doesnt forecheck hard and play defense by playing offense against a team like Erie thats what usually happens. Also got burned by the refs...the noncall on the goalie interference before the Strome break was pathetic. Dupuis stood on his head and deserved a better result.

This is my last comment on refs but to call a mystery interference call late in the third when the game is tied is very concerning. Having said that, the Sting were outplayed and if it wasn't for goaltending the score could have been much worse as they were out shot badly. Very proud of the effort being put forth as Erie is an excellent hockey team. Kyrou is having a standout series. Surprised that O'Donnell wasn't in the lineup. I hope Chychrun is available to play in Erie.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I think Sting fans are more annoyed at the non-calls then the ones Sarnia actually got penalized. The stripes did a decent job until late in the 3rd when they called Lajeuenesse for interference when the two players simply collided. It was the wrong call and fortunately didn't cost the Sting. However, if that's the standard for calling penalties (especially late in a playoff game) then there were several other worse non-calls (both ways) that should've been called.

Officiating wil never be perfect and I don't think it cost Sarnia anything. The Sting had a 3-0 lead and simply stopped skating attempting to sit back. You can't do that with the most dangerous line in the CHL.

Good game overall and it's great seeing fans support the squad. Meeting Erie in the first round might have been the best thing for this franchise since the McDavid draw was huge and it's a chance to get the non-diehard fans hooked and witnessing how good this team can be.

Loved Korostelev's tweet about doing everything to bring this series back to Sarnia for game 6.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Erie fans felt the same way when Sarnia was in town. Refs are just terrible in this league.

Erie outshot Sarnia 25-7 in the 2nd and 3rd period. So largely erie just outplayed them after the first

PP were 3-2 erie in this game and Sarnia had 2 penatlies that were a delay of game and too many men.. Hard to lie about those if you are the refs. Just dumb penatlies for Sarnia. Its the playoffs, there are going to be lots of border line calls that don't get called because the Refs don't want teams having 5-6 PPs in a game. They sorta let the guys play physical unless it gets out of control and they are forced to slow down the physical play a bit. So if you are theorizing that erie was taking a bunch of cheap and dirty hits or plays on Sarnia and the refs ignore them then my guess is sarnia does the same, because I know for a fact that Sarnia had some questionable plays in erie. It's just a physical series and it's the playoffs, more cheap unseen things occur and more stuff is gotten away with

Thanks for the April fools prank.I thought you were almost serious about refs should ignore the calls (slew foot) against Erie because Erie has more penalty minutes than Sarnia.That makes sense.:laugh:

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I think Sting fans are more annoyed at the non-calls then the ones Sarnia actually got penalized. The stripes did a decent job until late in the 3rd when they called Lajeuenesse for interference when the two players simply collided. It was the wrong call and fortunately didn't cost the Sting. However, if that's the standard for calling penalties (especially late in a playoff game) then there were several other worse non-calls (both ways) that should've been called.

Officiating wil never be perfect and I don't think it cost Sarnia anything. The Sting had a 3-0 lead and simply stopped skating attempting to sit back. You can't do that with the most dangerous line in the CHL.

Good game overall and it's great seeing fans support the squad. Meeting Erie in the first round might have been the best thing for this franchise since the McDavid draw was huge and it's a chance to get the non-diehard fans hooked and witnessing how good this team can be.

Loved Korostelev's tweet about doing everything to bring this series back to Sarnia for game 6.

Wrong on it didnt cost the sting anything.Congrats to coach Trevor for sticking up for his team and commenting i the media of the slewfoot that took the sting player out of the play opening the door to Strome's goal.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Massey, even though the Sting are down in this series, your team has turned a lot of heads around the league. Sarnia is not just young, but it's a talented young squad--the future looks bright in Stingland! Kyrou, Salinitri, Zacha, Chychrun---to name just a few of the upcoming stars.
In any case, I'm with you, "Go Knights Go"...I'm just looking forward to seeing McDavid's last few games at the Bud Gardens!

Nelli,please dont remind I said that "Go Knights Go".lol, just kidding, good luck

Yes they do look pretty good.Exciting and a bit frustrating to watch but hey,they are young.I just hope Hatcher looks at this year and what they have accomplished and leave things pretty well in tack.

Stingland

Jul 27, 2013
The thunderous chorus of boos as the Stripes left the ice last night pretty much summed up the opinion of most at the RBC Centre as to the level of officiating. The Sting ran out of gas. Their task became more difficult with the non calls by the refs.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Wrong on it didnt cost the sting anything.Congrats to coach Trevor for sticking up for his team and commenting i the media of the slewfoot that took the sting player out of the play opening the door to Strome's goal.

The late PP to Erie DIDNT cost the Sting anything.

If you don't think Erie earned that win then I don't know what to tell you. The officiating wasn't good at times but Erie outplayed Sarnia and dominated after the 1st

h10*

Jan 12, 2011

If you don't think Erie earned that win then I don't know what to tell you. The officiating wasn't good at times but Erie outplayed Sarnia and dominated after the 1st
That's what I have been saying myself. Shots 25-7 for the second and 3rd period.. Even after the first when Sarnia had a 3-0 lead the shots were 13-10 erie. If Williams was a legitimate goalie you probably would have been leading 1-0 after the first

massey

Sep 5, 2012

Sorry,not talking about the late PP.You must have left the arena before the Strome goal as the entire building seen the slew on I believe Renauld in Otter end that took him out and that allowed the odd man rush back to Sarnia's end when the winner was scored.That what was 4500 fans was booing about if you missed it.Trevor has the video if you want to look at it.Anytime a winning goal is scored on a very questionable call,it will be up for discussion. To say it didnt cost the Sting anything but the game??????Yes the otters outplayed the sting for 30 min of the game.Sting dominated the first 20 min and the balance of the game was pretty good hockey.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Sorry,not talking about the late PP.You must have left the arena before the Strome goal as the entire building seen the slew on I believe Renauld in Otter end that took him out and that allowed the odd man rush back to Sarnia's end when the winner was scored.That what was 4500 fans was booing about if you missed it.Trevor has the video if you want to look at it.Anytime a winning goal is scored on a very questionable call,it will be up for discussion. To say it didnt cost the Sting anything but the game??????Yes the otters outplayed the sting for 30 min of the game.Sting dominated the first 20 min and the balance of the game was pretty good hockey.

I do recall in game 1 and 2 in erie there were a few questionable plays from the angels of Sarnia. Zacha slash on Raddysh was awful, and injured Raddysh for the remainder of the game. The hit on a defenseless betz was questionable and betz is still out with a concussion. There was a late hit on Mcdavid that threw him falling into the boards and luckily he didn't get hurt because that could have been far worse. I'm just naming a few things that Sarnia players did in erie to get this series off to a chippy and agressive start. There were probably 2-3 cheap plays from Sarnia last night that were uncalled and either you didn't see it or thought it was a nice play, not warranting a call. Hockey is a game of contact and lots of little questionable plays that go unnoticed.. In the playoffs it's x2 worse. The refs aren't even good in this league to begin with and miss a blatant penalty every game. But the reality is that erie only got 3 PP, 2 of which were dely of game and too many men.. Obvious calls. Other than that erie got one other man advantage (questionable or not) and Sarnia got 2 PPs all game. 3-2 in PP advantage for erie isn't anything considering the 2 that Sarnia got that were obvious must calls with no discretion. Refs just let things go both ways and erie dominated after the opening 5-10mins. Could have easily been a 6-3 win for erie and you likely don't question the refs but the close game makes you thinking "what if".. However the scoreboard was the only close part about this game after 10mins.

This has been an exciting series and Sarnia has been really determined to play their best and win. But erie is just a bit more talented, experienced, and resilient. If erie had betz and Pettit for the whole series and played a bit more inspired to start the games like they do to finish the games, this series would already be over

massey

Sep 5, 2012
That's what I have been saying myself. Shots 25-7 for the second and 3rd period.. Even after the first when Sarnia had a 3-0 lead the shots were 13-10 erie. If Williams was a legitimate goalie you probably would have been leading 1-0 after the first

If you knew anything about the Sting game,Shots on goal either way means nothing and not necessary a indicator without actually seeing the game.Sting is a puck possession team and does not shoot a lot of shots on net.(a downfault of the team).Probably the lowest in the league.They also can be out shot considerably but when they are on their game if will be from the perimeter.They allowed 60 shots one game but not many scoring chances.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
If you knew anything about the Sting game,Shots on goal either way means nothing and not necessary a indicator without actually seeing the game.Sting is a puck possession team and does not shoot a lot of shots on net.(a downfault of the team).Probably the lowest in the league.They also can be out shot considerably but when they are on their game if will be from the perimeter.They allowed 60 shots one game but not many scoring chances.
Wel if you know anything about erie, they thrive off just taking shots. Getting the puck on net because eventually the puck will find the back of net and the talent will take over. 45-25 in shots last night (or whatever it was) means erie had 45 chances to score, whether quality or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad