Sarnia Sting 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
Hodgson looked to be among the best players at camp so far. If he's given top line minutes I could see him racking up quite a few points. I'm assuming he didn't work his way high enough up the depth chart in Erie to put up bigger numbers. Either way looks like a nice pickup by Abercrombie.

Not surprised to see that they are giving Black a card . The team has already got some rovers on the back end and really needs a stay at home , gritty type of player back there besides Chapman. Would not be surprised to see one of the excess d get dealt before the season gets going.

Figured I would reply to you here since Brendan initiated the 2014-2015 Season Thread and the off-season one will be closing..

That's the impression I got from talking to the kid last year, he was happy playing for Erie but wanted a chance to see the ice more, which due to the huge depth the Otters had at forward wasn't possible for him. Most Erie games I saw before the trade he was on the fourth line and his role was pretty limited. The move to Sarnia was great because it allowed him to showcase what he is capable of doing.

I agree, Black really fits what they were lacking from the back end (outside Chapman) who may not grow to be quite as big, but has the same mean streak and mentality. Having 8 (possibly 9) defensemen who are capable of playing at the OHL level isn't a bad thing and outside the top 4 of Chapman/DeAngelo/Chychrun/Spinozzi it should be a good thing having the other defenders compete for ice, atleast early on. It's worked in other programs having 4 D who are all fairly close together battle for those 2-3 line-up spots. I would expect we would eventually see a defender or two emerge from that group and claim their spot as a regular.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Nice too see the organization pursue character types of players. The battle for the bottom defence jobs will be a tough one . This kid is raw , and will take awhile to get used to the league but he looks like he's got a lot of potential :

Sting Sign O'Donnell

Sep 04, 2014 - 18:08 GMT
Sarnia Sting General Manager, Nick Sinclair is pleased to announce that versatile defenseman, Jake O’Donnell has agreed to terms on a Standard Player Agreement with the Hockey Club.

Selected 61st overall in the 2014 OHL Priority Selection, O’Donnell is a two-way defenseman who is very responsible in his own zone, yet has the skill-set to contribute offensively. Last year, O’Donnell recorded 12 points in 31 games with the Clarington Toros. The 6’1â€, 175 lb defenseman was equally impressive at the U-16 Ontario Gold Cup, picking up 5 points in as many games for Team OMHA White. Last month, O’Donnell was invited to U-17 Development Camp last month and pitched in for 1 goal and 1 assist in three games.

Sinclair comments on the Sting’s most recent signing. “We’re happy to announce today that Jake and his family have signed a OHL Standard Players Agreement. Jake has a bright future with our organization and yet another high character, talented player who will be a big part of what we are building towards. You don’t need to look any further than his inclusion with the Hockey Canada U17 Camp in Calgary as evidence as to the quality of player and young man hat he is.â€

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
read on twitter from sting, that Matt C was hurt. What happened? Hope he is ok
I see we are getting balance scoring with White, Renaud and Tony D. any thoughts about line combos. or what happens to the three or four spots that need to new trimmed.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes, Ciccarelli was injured and taken off on a stretcher. He looked to be in a lot of pain and was lying on the ice for quite some time. To me, it looked like he fell awkwardly into the boards or dasher after being nudged from behind by Welychka. Definitely no malicious intent. I just hope the injury turns out to be nothing too serious. Can someone provide any injury update when you receive word?

fossil

Aug 10, 2014
According to his twitter account he was released from hospital and doing fine after precautionary testing.

howndawg

Jan 24, 2009
Yes, Ciccarelli was injured and taken off on a stretcher. He looked to be in a lot of pain and was lying on the ice for quite some time. To me, it looked like he fell awkwardly into the boards or dasher after being nudged from behind by Welychka. Definitely no malicious intent. I just hope the injury turns out to be nothing too serious. Can someone provide any injury update when you receive word?

Nudged, obviously a London perspective. Where's the Sarnia statement?

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010

Can't stop laughing from that comment. I did not see the game, but "nudged" really. Was Ho Sang's nudge last playoffs harder than the nudge on Ciccarelli?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Can't stop laughing from that comment. I did not see the game, but "nudged" really. Was Ho Sang's nudge last playoffs harder than the nudge on Ciccarelli?

I was simply expressing concern over your injured player. However, usually the prudent thing to do when one is in your position of not having seen the incident is to suspend judgement. How do you know it wasn't a 'nudge' or a cheap shot if you didn't see it? What I'm telling you is that it wasn't malicious. If you'd like to dismiss that simply because I'm a London fan, then that's fine. I'm glad I don't share your powers of reasoning.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
I was simply expressing concern over your injured player. However, usually the prudent thing to do when one is in your position of not having seen the incident is to suspend judgement. How do you know it wasn't a 'nudge' or a cheap shot if you didn't see it? What I'm telling you is that it wasn't malicious. If you'd like to dismiss that simply because I'm a London fan, then that's fine. I'm glad I don't share your powers of reasoning.

Right or wrong, your use of the word "nudge" comes across as an attempt to downplay Welychka's action. It was a CFB that caused a player to be bloodied and hospitalized. It wasn't the dasher board's fault, it was Welychka's.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Right or wrong, your use of the word "nudge" comes across as an attempt to downplay Welychka's action. It was a CFB that caused a player to be bloodied and hospitalized. It wasn't the dasher board's fault, it was Welychka's.

Downplay not the severity, just the intent. If the league assesses the action on the basis of the result/consequence, then a suspension could indeed be warranted.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Bit of reversal of fortune in tonight's exhibition game Sting win 7 -1. Knights didn't dress a number of regulars but Sting played with a lot of energy. Spits are up next.

Stingland

Jul 27, 2013
Message to EasternOntario Fan.

You had wanted to know earlier in the Sting camp how well the two Ottawa area players White and Renaud were performing. In an earlier comment I was very high on White but thought that Renaud from the scrimmage that I saw was a bit of a disappointment. I now stand corrected. Renaud has played very well in the preseason games. He was the second star tonight with two goals against the London Knights. He also got one goal last night against London. He was throwing his 200 pound plus body around making numerous checks. His long reach gives him an advantage that he was using tonight to get the puck. He was also constantly getting himself into good positions to score. If he continues to play like this he will be a strong asset for the Sting.
My opinion of White has not changed. He is dependable and has the fire to compete whenever he is on the ice.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
You had wanted to know earlier in the Sting camp how well the two Ottawa area players White and Renaud were performing. In an earlier comment I was very high on White but thought that Renaud from the scrimmage that I saw was a bit of a disappointment. I now stand corrected. Renaud has played very well in the preseason games. He was the second star tonight with two goals against the London Knights. He also got one goal last night against London. He was throwing his 200 pound plus body around making numerous checks. His long reach gives him an advantage that he was using tonight to get the puck. He was also constantly getting himself into good positions to score. If he continues to play like this he will be a strong asset for the Sting.
My opinion of White has not changed. He is dependable and has the fire to compete whenever he is on the ice.

Couldn't have said it better myself

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario

Yep I back this up as well.

Bit of reversal of fortune in tonight's exhibition game Sting win 7 -1. Knights didn't dress a number of regulars but Sting played with a lot of energy. Spits are up next.

Knights didn't dress ANY regulars would better describe London's lineup last night. Exactly the outcome I expected...still glad I drove down to take in the game though. Love the RBC.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Solid performance by the Sting no matter who London dressed tonight.Not many shots but I liked Fazio. Liked the grit the Sting showed against the cheap shots and didnt back down. Enjoyed Bushnell winning that bout.Can see taking fighting out of hockey starting to create a cheap shot and stick swinging game. Ref just stood there.All well hopefully it gets cleaned up. First time I seen a boarding penality assessed being 30 ft from the boards to Chychrun.

I was impressed with DeAngelo keeping his cool and actually passing the puck and setting up some great scoring chances.Nice goal also.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Knights didn't dress ANY regulars would better describe London's lineup last night. Exactly the outcome I expected...still glad I drove down to take in the game though. Love the RBC.

Wow. How many kids do they still have in camp ? Have they made any cuts ?

Wow. How many kids do they still have in camp ? Have they made any cuts ?

London still has around 30 kids in camp. With the uncertainty of who's actually coming back...they'll hold 30 until the roster shakes out a bit. The roster you saw last night was 100% 1st year players aside from Seguin, MacDonald and Tristan Elie(he's a junior B player at best)...most were playing their 1st OHL game.

honey bee

Sep 29, 2011
Goldobin

So where is Goldobin? I heard he is playing in KHL due to family issues. Can anyone confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad