Sarnia Sting 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Inconsistent officiating isn't new to this league. While it frustrates every fan of every team I for one can say it's not the inconsistency that annoys me. It's the inconsistency of the inconsistency that drives me nuts.:laugh:

spot on. never know what to expect with the refs

Wel if you know anything about erie, they thrive off just taking shots. Getting the puck on net because eventually the puck will find the back of net and the talent will take over. 45-25 in shots last night (or whatever it was) means erie had 45 chances to score, whether quality or not.

don't even both arguing with massey at this point, his mind is made up it's all the refs fault. his analysis of his own team is even incorrect, before chlstats went down I noticed Sarnia was actually in the top half of the league in fenwick close with about 51% (Erie was near the top with 56%).

CC87

Nov 16, 2011
spot on. never know what to expect with the refs

don't even both arguing with massey at this point, his mind is made up it's all the refs fault. his analysis of his own team is even incorrect, before chlstats went down I noticed Sarnia was actually in the top half of the league in fenwick close with about 51% (Erie was near the top with 56%).

Erie was first in shooting % this year, while Sarnia was 8th. That would tell me that Erie is much more particular about the quality of their scoring chances than Sarnia is.

Massey's argument was made of fiction and buzzwords. The facts don't support it.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
It is a shame that the discussion regarding these last two games should be anything but positive.

Fact one. Both games were well officiated. There isn't a game around that there are not calls that could go one way or another. Both teams got breaks and calls. The refs did not decide either game.

Fact two. Sarnia has played excellent hockey against a more talented and mature team. They have had a couple of lapses. The difference is that you get away with those lapses against not as talented teams - you get burnt more often against the better teams.

Fact three. Sarnia players have matured and should build on this. They can believe more in their coach and his systems.

Fact four. Erie needed this if they have a chance in he## of moving deep into these playoffs. They finally played disciplined team hockey from the second period on last night. Play like that and they have a chance - Sarnia has done them a huge favour bringing it like they have in this first round.

Fact five. Two great games at a great price. You could be in an ACC seat at several times the price and not see hockey half as good.

It is a shame that the discussion regarding these last two games should be anything but positive.

Fact one. Both games were well officiated. There isn't a game around that there are not calls that could go one way or another. Both teams got breaks and calls. The refs did not decide either game.

Fact two. Sarnia has played excellent hockey against a more talented and mature team. They have had a couple of lapses. The difference is that you get away with those lapses against not as talented teams - you get burnt more often against the better teams.

Fact three. Sarnia players have matured and should build on this. They can believe more in their coach and his systems.

Fact four. Erie needed this if they have a chance in he## of moving deep into these playoffs. They finally played disciplined team hockey from the second period on last night. Play like that and they have a chance - Sarnia has done them a huge favour bringing it like they have in this first round.

Fact five. Two great games at a great price. You could be in an ACC seat at several times the price and not see hockey half as good.
The difference between a good team and a great team?

A good team points fingers when they lose...a great team learns when they lose.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie was first in shooting % this year, while Sarnia was 8th. That would tell me that Erie is much more particular about the quality of their scoring chances than Sarnia is.

Massey's argument was made of fiction and buzzwords. The facts don't support it.

exactly

Very well said. Overall Sarnia has played some great hockey thus far, like Strome said last night they could be leading this series. If they add a top goalie I could see them battling with the Soo for the West Division crown.

exactly

Very well said. Overall Sarnia has played some great hockey thus far, like Strome said last night they could be leading this series. If they add a top goalie I could see them battling with the Soo for the West Division crown.

Fazio is a very good young goaltender. Not sure if he's ready to take the reins,but he'll need more starts next season to succeed. Can't see him waiting idly by if another vet comes in.

Spitsy

Mar 21, 2015

I will agree with every point except the first one.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
EON 93
well pretty much any respect I had left for Sarnia is gone. Incredibly dirty and cheap team, if not for some pretty bad officiating Erie could have had 15 powerplays tonight.

EON
not sure why your on the Sarnia thread

Last edited:

massey

Sep 5, 2012

Good post,dont agree with fact one.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Fazio is a very good young goaltender. Not sure if he's ready to take the reins,but he'll need more starts next season to succeed. Can't see him waiting idly by if another vet comes in.

He can be very good.Not sure either whether Fazio can do it.He had some awesome games this year and some not so good.Comes with development of a young goalie. Hopefully more games next year will help and I am sure by trade deadline the Sting may have to decide. Dont know much about the other young goalie Sarnia has.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Or they have a better % because their shooters are better? And not being more particular taking shots?
Hockeye says they thrive on taking shots.
I'm confused, are they good shooters, particular shooters or just looking to get pucks on net :)

Erie fans taking offense with Masseys views of officiating lol

Pot meet kettle.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
EON 93
well pretty much any respect I had left for Sarnia is gone. Incredibly dirty and cheap team, if not for some pretty bad officiating Erie could have had 15 powerplays tonight.

EON
not sure why your on the Sarnia thread

Am I not allowed to be here even when posting about the Sting? Do you have to be a Sting fan to post here?

That quote was from the Otters thread, and while I gripe about officiating I have never and will never directly blame a loss on officiating.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Sorry,not talking about the late PP.You must have left the arena before the Strome goal as the entire building seen the slew on I believe Renauld in Otter end that took him out and that allowed the odd man rush back to Sarnia's end when the winner was scored.That what was 4500 fans was booing about if you missed it.Trevor has the video if you want to look at it.Anytime a winning goal is scored on a very questionable call,it will be up for discussion. To say it didnt cost the Sting anything but the game??????Yes the otters outplayed the sting for 30 min of the game.Sting dominated the first 20 min and the balance of the game was pretty good hockey.

I seen the entire game thanks. If you read posts more carefully, I was referring to the ONE late PP and that's what I said didn't cost them the game (for the third time).

I seen the "slewfoot". Refs opted not to call it. Most would've. It's a shame but get over the officiating. Sarnia is playing strong hockey against one of the league's best teams. Appreciate it.

Perfect officiating doesn't exist...in any league unfortunately. The players seem to play on without too much fuss. Again, it's unfortunate but complaining over and over on message boards isn't going to change anything. There were missed calls both ways.

This shouldn't be an "Refs hate Erie" vs "Refs hate Sarnia" debate between fan bases. As a neutral observer, I can assure you that calls are equally as good/bad both ways.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Am I not allowed to be here even when posting about the Sting? Do you have to be a Sting fan to post here?

That quote was from the Otters thread, and while I gripe about officiating I have never and will never directly blame a loss on officiating.

You don't have to be a Sting fan to post here. You just have to get Massey's permission:laugh:

massey

Sep 5, 2012
You don't have to be a Sting fan to post here. You just have to get Massey's permission:laugh:

Nobody needs my permission.You dont have to be a Sting fan either.Welcome your thoughts.Just dont SLAM the Sting on YOUR own thread and then come on here throwing your 2 cents in like EON did. But dont dare mention the ref's as part of hockey discussion on here.Its Ok though on other threads just not here.:shakehead

Getting back to Sting hockey,I sure didnt like Kyrou being moved from Zacha's line.I thought they looked exc together vs being with Lajeunesse and Salinitri.Is White injured or healthy scratch in the last game.??

CC87

Nov 16, 2011
Or they have a better % because their shooters are better? And not being more particular taking shots?
Hockeye says they thrive on taking shots.
I'm confused, are they good shooters, particular shooters or just looking to get pucks on net :)

Erie fans taking offense with Masseys views of officiating lol

Pot meet kettle.

Come to your own conclusion, but, I don't find it difficult to argue that to have the best shooting percentage in the league, by a significant margin, would indicate that they both shoot well, and from scoring areas.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Nobody needs my permission.You dont have to be a Sting fan either.Welcome your thoughts.Just dont SLAM the Sting on YOUR own thread and then come on here throwing your 2 cents in like EON did. But dont dare mention the ref's as part of hockey discussion on here.Its Ok though on other threads just not here.:shakehead

Getting back to Sting hockey,I sure didnt like Kyrou being moved from Zacha's line.I thought they looked exc together vs being with Lajeunesse and Salinitri.Is White injured or healthy scratch in the last game.??

I understand that the refs want to let the players decide it as much as possible, and that's ok. But by that standard the penalty at end of third was VERY questionable. Now in regards to Renaud, if it was an interference play I have no problem with a non call---but a slewfoot is one of the most dangerous plays in hockey and needs to be called regardless of the situation. As for White, reliable person said he has been healthy scratch over the past month( except when Lindburg was hurt). Best of luck to Renaud and Sting Friday. They have played beyond expectations I am sure so far.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
well played
exposed some things for the otters

be proud... your group of players is going to be a very good team for the next couple of years

see you next season

hockeyinmyblood

Nov 11, 2014
well played
exposed some things for the otters

be proud... your group of players is going to be a very good team for the next couple of years

see you next season

Best of luck Erie, I hope your team goes far. I think the Sting did you a big favour by putting a scare in you.

Thanks to the Sting organization and especially the players for a very enjoyable hockey series. There is such a positive buzz around this team now and they are going to be a force to be reckoned with for the next few years.

To the Sting fans, thanks for the strong support in the playoffs. Please continue next season as it is going to be a fun ride.

Stingland

Jul 27, 2013
Kudos to the Sting on a great season. Never gave up in any game. Just ran out of gas in the end. Letowski proved he can coach with the best.

Looking forward to the draft on April 11th. Need a goalie to compete with Fazio and another top notch defender. Anyone have any ideas as to who we go for?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Kudos to the Sting on a great season. Never gave up in any game. Just ran out of gas in the end. Letowski proved he can coach with the best.

Looking forward to the draft on April 11th. Need a goalie to compete with Fazio and another top notch defender. Anyone have any ideas as to who we go for?

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/five-to-watch-for-ohl-priority-selection/166135

i say we draft another stud blue liner with our 1st pick & a goalie with our next pick.

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/ohl-draft-rankings-top-100-ohl-draft-prospects-february-2015

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Are the Sting drafting 8th in the first round this year? Is there an updated site/link that has all of the Sting picks for the 2015 draft

Sting draft 10th.

Windsor 2nd
Owen Sound 2nd
Barrie 2nd
Sarnia 3rd
Sarnia 4th
Sarnia 7th-14th

Owen Sound 2nd
Sarnia 5th-9th
Sarnia 11th-15th

Soo 2nd
Sarnia 3rd
Sarnia 4th
Saginaw 5th
Sarnia 5th-6th
Sarnia 8th-9th
Sarnia 11th-15th

Sarnia 2nd
Sarnia 3rd
Soo 4th
Sarnia 4th-15th

Sarnia 2nd-15th

Sarnia 2nd-15th

Note that Windsor's forfeited sanctions pick this year is Oshawa's 2nd rounder, so Windsor's 2nd that Sarnia owns is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad