Proposal: San Jose Tear down

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
What the Sharks have to do is easy in theory, but nearly impossible in practice.

The Sharks pay Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic a combined $26.5 mil each year. Having half your defense core locked up at that price and finishing 29th in Goals Against is absolutely inexcusable, even if the goaltending is the true problem.

With that said, they will have to bite the bullet and do whatever they can to trade Karlsson, which will probably be for a net loss. Even if it saves only a couple million dollars, it will help. Cap space and roster flexibility is all they should be looking for in that deal. Dont worry about "winning the deal" player-wise.

They can trade Burns of Vlasic instead, but teams would hate Burns' age/cap hit combo and on the Sharks side, Burns' deal expires 2 years sooner than Karlsson's. as for Vlasic, he has absolutely no trade value.

Next see what teams are willing to trade for Kevin Labanc, then take whatever the best deal is. Labanc is a good player, but with how top heavy the Sharks cap structure is, his salary will need to be better distributed.

After that, look around for trade partners for Evander Kane. Kane has been great in his time with the Sharks, but if they plan to rebuild or retool, he may be beyond his usefulness by that point. Around next trade deadline see what teams will offer for him and think long and hard about dealing him.

See what Hertl is looking to get paid, anything over $7.5 mil ask around about possibly trading him as well. I love Hertl, but the Sharks have enough guys 30+ years old making $7+ mil long term. With that said, centers are much harder to come by than wingers, so if the Sharks find a Kane trade they really like that frees up some money, maybe they re-sign Hertl.

Also, keep Timo Meier. the guy is only 25 years old and has 3 20+ goal years and a 66 point season under his belt. He still has 2 years on his contract, if the final year comes and you feel that 66 point year was his peak or he wants too much money on a new deal, trade him then.

Then stop bringing in old guys for nostalgia. If Patrick Marleau does not want to retire for whatever reason, let some other team continue his career. Start making space for prospects to fight for as well as sign youngish reclamation projects to fill out the roster (guys like Carter Verhaege, Jimmy Vesey, etc). Preferably guys that are fast and have shown flashes of offense like Athanasiou or Hinostroza. Build up more team quickness and rather than calling up guys like Gabriel or Viel to fight, bring in depth guys who can produce.

Lastly, hire a Sports Psychologist to work with Martin Jones specifically. Brayden Holtby used one back in his Washington Capital days and he won a Vezina trophy. I don't know if Holtby still uses one, but all the Sharks need is one competent to good season from Jones. IF a psychologist can help Jones play well, trade him to the first sucker GM that is desperate for goaltending help.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
San Jose doesn't need a tear down.

Give us a Head coach that's worth a damn and a goalie that can stop pucks every once in a while and we're instantly Cup Contenders again.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This is ridiculous. The Sharks are stuck with all of these contracts:

Karlsson
Burns
Vlasic
Jones

Not sure what they can do with that much money tied to under-performing/poor performing players.

Reactions: PattyLafontaine

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
This is ridiculous. The Sharks are stuck with all of these contracts:

Karlsson
Burns
Vlasic
Jones

Not sure what they can do with that much money tied to under-performing/poor performing players.
Bob and Skinner are ECHL level players being payed 9+’million. Karlsson has a better contract as he provides offense to a team. Did you see what he did to Kessel the other night?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What the Sharks have to do is easy in theory, but nearly impossible in practice.

The Sharks pay Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic a combined $26.5 mil each year. Having half your defense core locked up at that price and finishing 29th in Goals Against is absolutely inexcusable, even if the goaltending is the true problem.

With that said, they will have to bite the bullet and do whatever they can to trade Karlsson, which will probably be for a net loss. Even if it saves only a couple million dollars, it will help. Cap space and roster flexibility is all they should be looking for in that deal. Dont worry about "winning the deal" player-wise.

They can trade Burns of Vlasic instead, but teams would hate Burns' age/cap hit combo and on the Sharks side, Burns' deal expires 2 years sooner than Karlsson's. as for Vlasic, he has absolutely no trade value.

Next see what teams are willing to trade for Kevin Labanc, then take whatever the best deal is. Labanc is a good player, but with how top heavy the Sharks cap structure is, his salary will need to be better distributed.

After that, look around for trade partners for Evander Kane. Kane has been great in his time with the Sharks, but if they plan to rebuild or retool, he may be beyond his usefulness by that point. Around next trade deadline see what teams will offer for him and think long and hard about dealing him.

See what Hertl is looking to get paid, anything over $7.5 mil ask around about possibly trading him as well. I love Hertl, but the Sharks have enough guys 30+ years old making $7+ mil long term. With that said, centers are much harder to come by than wingers, so if the Sharks find a Kane trade they really like that frees up some money, maybe they re-sign Hertl.

Also, keep Timo Meier. the guy is only 25 years old and has 3 20+ goal years and a 66 point season under his belt. He still has 2 years on his contract, if the final year comes and you feel that 66 point year was his peak or he wants too much money on a new deal, trade him then.

Then stop bringing in old guys for nostalgia. If Patrick Marleau does not want to retire for whatever reason, let some other team continue his career. Start making space for prospects to fight for as well as sign youngish reclamation projects to fill out the roster (guys like Carter Verhaege, Jimmy Vesey, etc). Preferably guys that are fast and have shown flashes of offense like Athanasiou or Hinostroza. Build up more team quickness and rather than calling up guys like Gabriel or Viel to fight, bring in depth guys who can produce.

Lastly, hire a Sports Psychologist to work with Martin Jones specifically. Brayden Holtby used one back in his Washington Capital days and he won a Vezina trophy. I don't know if Holtby still uses one, but all the Sharks need is one competent to good season from Jones. IF a psychologist can help Jones play well, trade him to the first sucker GM that is desperate for goaltending help.

If goaltending is the true problem then it by definition is excusable.

There is no biting the bullet to trade Karlsson if he has no interest in leaving. He has a full NMC. He determines when and where he goes. So even with his rebuilding comment, there's no reason to believe he wants out. He already said that he's committed to playing in San Jose so don't bet on Karlsson being traded anytime soon. They already have roster flexibility so I don't see what point you're making there. Cap flexibility doesn't mean anything to a team tearing it down either. When it comes to Labanc, we'll see. He's arguably part of the problem. Same goes for Meier. In Meier's case, I don't know if he really wants to play here and if that's the case, he needs to go sooner rather than later.

They didn't bring in Patrick Marleau for nostalgia. They brought him in for veteran leadership. You still need some of that on your teams that are even torn down teams. Marleau is not in anyone's way and provides the sort of work ethic you need to instill into young kids to be the best pro they can. If you haven't noticed, the Sharks have brought up a bunch of guys to get looks like Chekhovich, Chmelevski, Blichfeld, Gregor, Kellman, True, and guys they had been playing for a while like Leonard, Balcers, and Barabanov. Clearly, Marleau's presence has not prevented anyone from getting opportunities to show what they're worth. It's one thing if a team has numerous guys like Marleau that the coach is relying on and never giving guys chances to play. That simply isn't the case in San Jose. Ever since Matt Nieto got injured, they've called up numerous kids to earn their spot. They stopped playing Sorensen after a while as well.

As for Jones, they've very likely already done everything they can do. The only rational solution to Jones is to bury him until his contract expires. A team tearing it down shouldn't bother with buying him out until the team is prepared to contend again. They also shouldn't pay to have someone else take them unless it's a roster player that you don't value much to which I can't see there being a match.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Jackets should be all over Hertl and, barring that, Couture. I know there's a sense they don't have the assets but I think a fair offer can be made without including Jones, Werenski, Laine or the CBJ 1st this year. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure SJ fans will let me know if so.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Jackets should be all over Hertl and, barring that, Couture. I know there's a sense they don't have the assets but I think a fair offer can be made without including Jones, Werenski, Laine or the CBJ 1st this year. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure SJ fans will let me know if so.
More than a few Sharks fans are 2022/2023 draft crazed. I'd say a 1st from one of those two would have to be included then. The + involved can probably be worked out

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

We’re not nuts, we aren’t expecting an asset like Jones or Werenski (or a 4th(?) overall pick) for either guy. Couture would obviously be much less expensive than Hertl.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Buying out Jones has to be number one on the to-do list. Look at the change in the Wild once they got competent goaltending. Kaprizov obviously made a big difference as well, but I think that in a weak Pacific division the Sharks are really only looking up at Vegas. I'm not convinced they can't finish 2nd next season with a good goalie and maybe a new coach.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
We’re not nuts, we aren’t expecting an asset like Jones or Werenski (or a 4th(?) overall pick) for either guy. Couture would obviously be much less expensive than Hertl.

Yeah I've just been reading too many CBJ threads on this subforum, and been told that the team doesn't really have anything to offer.

Couture would come with retention, I think we'd hope/prefer. Hertl would really be the target, and I included Couts with the idea that if the two teams were talking and couldn't come to an agreement on Hertl that one thing might lead to another.

What are you looking for for Hertl? Although I wonder if it's even worth talking about given his trade limitations. Still, CBJ should be calling.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yeah I've just been reading too many CBJ threads on this subforum, and been told that the team doesn't really have anything to offer.

Couture would come with retention, I think we'd hope/prefer. Hertl would really be the target, and I included Couts with the idea that if the two teams were talking and couldn't come to an agreement on Hertl that one thing might lead to another.

What are you looking for for Hertl? Although I wonder if it's even worth talking about given his trade limitations. Still, CBJ should be calling.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What would SJ want to be added to Dallas' 2021 1st to get Hertl? With him being a UFA after next year, I could see him being moved in the summer or trade deadline next year, and Dallas could be a long term fit considering that Pavelski and Radulov come off the books that same summer.
I’d say Robertson, but that’s what I want.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
San Jose doesn't need a tear down.

Give us a Head coach that's worth a damn and a goalie that can stop pucks every once in a while and we're instantly Cup Contenders again.
Amusing

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
You don’t think Hertl would get at least a low 1st and an unproven prospect?

Boy do you have a lot to learn.
Yeah, as a rental he shouldnt return that.

And "unproven prospect" is significantly underselling Newhook and you know it. Guy is a top prospect.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, as a rental he shouldnt return that.

And "unproven prospect" is significantly underselling Newhook and you know it. Guy is a top prospect.
It’s all dependent on the market, but lesser centers with expiring contracts have gotten more than that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I’d think a similar type of package as Burns got from SJ when he was a year away from UFA with the Wild. A decent roster player (although we don’t really need this), top prospect, and 1st round pick. Anything less makes it not really worth it to move him. He’s the heart and soul of this team as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
For the second thread in a short time Oiler fans are almost unanimous in their rejection of a Burns trade to Edmonton. Calgary is welcome to make that deal.

I don't think Meier is worth Yamamoto and a 1st, although Yamamoto is having a down year with only 20 points in 51 games. It seems like he hasn't scored in ages. At least this is something to think about. If it was Yamamoto and a 2nd I think the Oilers bite.

Meier is young enough to actually fit into the core here in Edmonton.
If they can make his caphit work I think Meier for Yamo + 2021 1st is a good deal.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All those guys outside of Meier either have full NMC's or extremely restrictive no-trades (like 3 teams on the list restrictive). If they are moved it will be on their terms with a sub-par package back.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00