Proposal: San Jose Tear down

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Get bent. The idea sucks and yet you're at worst parroting it

In response to an Oiler fan sounding hesitant about it I disagreed and said it was a good deal. I also assumed a thread about a sharks tear down was made by a Sharks fan who suggested the idea to begin with.

Seriously what the f*** man.

Reactions: Arctic Fox

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
In response to an Oiler fan sounding hesitant about it I disagreed and said it was a good deal. I also assumed a thread about a sharks tear down was made by a Sharks fan who suggested the idea to begin with.

Seriously what the f*** man.
On page 5 I came across it. I disagreed that it's a good deal.. for us anyways.
Not to difficult

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
27-28?
Too funny
He's correct. I don't why some my fellow Sharks are in such denial about how bad the situation is in San Jose.

The farm system is near the bottom of the NHL. The core is old and sucks up most of the salary cap. Burns, Vlasic, and Karlsson are on a steep decline. This team is finishing as one of the worst teams in the NHL with all these so called "talented" players and they are getting a year older.

Given the effect of Covid-19 on the salary cap ceiling the Sharks are stuck with loads of unfavorable to downright atrocious contracts for a number of years. Even when those contracts expire who are the Sharks going to have in terms of talent. You can't just go out on the UFA market and fill the roster with talent. Most of the current "talent" is untradable.

What's worse some have a delusion that most of the Sharks players have positive value with their albatross contracts when most of the Sharks long term contracts nullify most if not all of a player'ss value because salary cap space is like water. There's a massive shortage and its high in demand.

Toronto gave Carolina a #1 pick to get rid of Patrick Marleau's contract of 6.25 million. While Toronto desperately need to make a move and Marleau at that time was a 8-10 minute 4th liner, that should give an inclination of the value of cap space.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
He's correct. I don't why some my fellow Sharks are in such denial about how bad the situation is in San Jose.

The farm system is near the bottom of the NHL. The core is old and sucks up most of the salary cap. Burns, Vlasic, and Karlsson are on a steep decline. This team is finishing as one of the worst teams in the NHL with all these so called "talented" players and they are getting a year older.

Given the effect of Covid-19 on the salary cap ceiling the Sharks are stuck with loads of unfavorable to downright atrocious contracts for a number of years. Even when those contracts expire who are the Sharks going to have in terms of talent. You can't just go out on the UFA market and fill the roster with talent. Most of the current "talent" is untradable.

What's worse some have a delusion that most of the Sharks players have positive value with their albatross contracts when most of the Sharks long term contracts nullify most if not all of a player'ss value because salary cap space is like water. There's a massive shortage and its high in demand.

Toronto gave Carolina a #1 pick to get rid of Patrick Marleau's contract of 6.25 million. While Toronto desperately need to make a move and Marleau at that time was a 8-10 minute 4th liner, that should give an inclination of the value of cap space.
Honestly, I think he might have just misinterpreted my post. I didn't really explain what I meant by "competitive" He might have assumed that I meant the Sharks couldn't improve or make the playoffs until 2027-28, when really I was talking about their chances of clearing enough dead-weight (or older players not regressing) to contend for a cup before that point, which is a pretty significant difference.

Every year going forward until 2027, one or more of Karlsson, Couture, Burns, Vlasic, Hertl (injuries/trade, not age), or Kane is probably going to significantly regress. This doesn't even account for Jones if he is not bought out. It will be very hard for San Jose to contend for a cup no matter how many good picks or trades they make before 2027-28.

Reactions: PattyLafontaine

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Yeah? What leads you to believe anything like that would be acceptable by our owner/management?
A 5 year plan of sucking isn't in the vocabulary

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021

See the quoted post below for an example to your comment of clueless Sharks fans.

Yeah? What leads you to believe anything like that would be acceptable by our owner/management?
A 5 year plan of sucking isn't in the vocabulary

"Our owner won't tolerate sucking, so we'll be good in 5 years. How? Dunno. But it WONT be acceptable otherwise!!"

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Keeping Doug Wilson as a GM for 18 (and probably at least 2-3 more) seasons.
I wouldn't be overly surprised of he did. I've been unhappy for a number of years that he's still here. Yeah, that's some accomplishment for a GM who's rafters are bare. Especially for an owner who isn't afraid to open up their pocketbook

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Just Curious would anyone be interested as Burns as a RW? San Jose fans whens the last time he’s played a significant amount at that position?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->