Injury Report: Samuel Morin, Torn ACL

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It's a real shame for Morin. But a great opportunity for Myers, who I think is the much better player, anyway.

Provorov-Ghost
MacDonald-Myers
Sanheim-Gudas
Hagg

Isn't the end of the word.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Different players who can both be solid contributors.

Yes, I like Morin, partly because of his physical tools, partly for the snarl, but mostly because he’s shown great attitude. I’m looking forward to him being a Moose DuPont or Ed van Impe for this generation. I think he can be a solid man in this league and really make this team hard to play against

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not if they want a defensemen that doesn't suck.
They obviously don't think he sucks, which is the problem. You can't deny that unless they target someone that they are willing to commit for for at least 3-4 years, the likelihood that Manning is brought back for another year just went up exponentially.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Different players who can both be solid contributors.

Yes, I like Morin, partly because of his physical tools, partly for the snarl, but mostly because he’s shown great attitude. I’m looking forward to him being a Moose DuPont or Ed van Impe for this generation. I think he can be a solid man in this league and really make this team hard to play against
Awesome to think about.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
They obviously don't think he sucks, which is the problem. You can't deny that unless they target someone that they are willing to commit for for at least 3-4 years, the likelihood that Manning is brought back for another year just went up exponentially.
Manning isn't coming back.

Reactions: renberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I said that they were bringing Manning back they announced Morin would be out 6 months. 9 months only makes it that much more likely.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Im 6 weeks post surgery after tearing my acl, and meniscus, i also sprained my mcl. The Doctor told me it would be about a year before i play hockey again, and about 9 months before I skate again.

After 6 weeks im finally down to using one crutch, im going to pt 3 times a week.

I feel for the kid.

You don't live in Saskatoon do you?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not worried about there not being room for him on the roster once he's done with his AHL conditioning stint. There are bound to be other injuries on the defense by then, or they could carry 8 dmen by demoting a waiver-exempt forward like Vecchione, NAK or Vorobyev.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
the top 15 picks in the 2013 draft have a total of 3,866 NHL games played

Morin has 3, he's just totally snakebitten at this point

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The lack of games played has as much to do with coaching/management as it does with injuries. He was completely healthy in 15-16 and 16-17 for the Phantoms. He should have at the very least played the 28 games for the Flyers that were given to Nick Schultz in 16-17. In 17-18, he should have made the Flyers out of camp and played much of the 65 games that went to Brandon Manning, but again, Flyers gonna Flyer. There's no reason to think the fluke injuries occur had he stayed with the Flyers like he deserved to.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The lack of games played has as much to do with coaching/management as it does with injuries. He was completely healthy in 15-17 and 16-17 for the Phantoms. He should have at the very least played the 28 games for the Flyers that were given to Nick Schultz in 16-17. In 17-18, he should have made the Flyers out of camp and played much of the 65 games that went to Brandon Manning, but again, Flyers gonna Flyer. There's no reason to think he fluke injuries occur had he stayed with the Flyers like he deserved to.

That's silly, fluke injuries can happen anytime, any place, it's not like the NHL is "softer" than the AHL.
Nor did I see anything in Morin that said he "deserved" anything, he wasn't dominant in the AHL, yes, he looked impressive because he's so big, but despite his straight line speed he was stiff and not a great puck handler.

He improved in juniors, but didn't stand out his one shot at the WJC.
His first two years in the AHL he certainly didn't stand out as anything special other than his size.
Looked better this year but couldn't stay healthy. If he was healthy, he would have had a full shot at winning a job.

The idea that Morin was some kind of "slam dunk" in the NHL is mostly wishful thinking.
Maybe he could have outplayed Hagg, but it may take another 2-3 years to find out.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He could have outplayed Manning if he were 5'7, 140 pounds.
He could have outplayed Andrew if he were 5'8, 145 pounds.
He could have outplayed Haggar if he were 5'9, 150 pounds.
The players he had to outplay didn't set a standard whereby he needed to "dominate" in the minors in order to be an upgrade.
In addition to this, the point was to let him play and get this season under his belt.
But no one ever got hurt staying in the minors too long, amirite?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Buddy on my hockey team had the same injury/surgery on the same timeline so I thought he might be a secret flyers fan..... Lucas....
I actually originally injured my knee back in December but had been holding off getting the surgery until my son had a surgery of his own done. It's sucks so bad when your used to playing hockey 3 nights a week and then have to sit around and do nothing for almost a full year. Most frustrating injury i've ever had.

Talking with my doctor he immediately had the answer after i asked when i could play again, seems pretty standard.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

part of that has to do with injuries, but some is mismanagement as well. Morin was healthy to start last season, but instead of starting over Hagg (like he should have been) he was healthy scratched and dicked around by the organization. then when he finally got his chance he got hurt.

it infuriates me to think this organization ranked Hagg above Sanheim, Morin and Myers last year. Hagg is nowhere near as good as any of them but somehow gets a free pass because he's "safe." whatever the hell that means because he's not that good.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
part of that has to do with injuries, but some is mismanagement as well. Morin was healthy to start last season, but instead of starting over Hagg (like he should have been) he was healthy scratched and dicked around by the organization. then when he finally got his chance he got hurt.

it infuriates me to think this organization ranked Hagg above Sanheim, Morin and Myers last year. Hagg is nowhere near as good as any of them but somehow gets a free pass because he's "safe." whatever the hell that means because he's not that good.

I agree. I defend Hextall and the process.

However, this is the one area that bothers me. If this continues next season then I'll be calling for Hakstol's head.

If Sanheim and Myers are jerked around next season I'm going to begin to doubt Hextall.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hagg is solid and would play lots on the last four teams and other in the league. Staple for years to come taking out the trash.

Reactions: Larry44

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
That's silly, fluke injuries can happen anytime, any place, it's not like the NHL is "softer" than the AHL.
Nor did I see anything in Morin that said he "deserved" anything, he wasn't dominate in the AHL, yes, he looked impressive because he's so big, but despite his straight line speed he was stiff and not a great puck handler.

He improved in juniors, but didn't stand out his one shot at the WJC.
His first two years in the AHL he certainly didn't stand out as anything special other than his size.
Looked better this year but couldn't stay healthy. If he was healthy, he would have had a full shot at winning a job.

The idea that Morin was some kind of "slam dunk" in the NHL is mostly wishful thinking.
Maybe he could have outplayed Hagg, but it may take another 2-3 years to find out.

Are you implying Hagg stood out more than Morin did?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm implying there wasn't the big gap that people imagined, both big, physical defensemen who struggled handling the puck and had limited offensive skills.
If Morin could have played RHD there's a good chance he beats out Hagg.
And if Morin stayed healthy, he would have had at least ten games to show he belonged over Hagg.

Hagg wasn't ranked above Sanheim or Myers, different roles.
Sanheim was his own worst enemy and still is, focus, boy, focus.
Myers wasn't ready for the NHL in October, there's more to playing in the NHL than pure talent.

Hextall/Hakstoll would love for Sanheim/Myers to establish themselves as a reliable defensive pair that can move it up ice and make plays, like hopefully Provorov and Ghost are becoming. What GM wouldn't want four skilled, mobile defensemen? But you want guys who don't mind fart on a regular basis.

Hagg and Morin are generic 3rd pair defensemen, if they develop they can be paired with a mobile defenseman and anchor the PK.
But unless either of them makes great strides as a skater (not just straight line Sam, backwards and sideways) and puck handler, that's their upside.
Teams still need a couple big defensemen who can bring the wood, but these guys often take years to develop because they're not fluid players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, given the next three picks were Domi, Morrissey and Wennberg, Holmgren kinda blew it.
Morin is the kind of player Hextall takes late in the 1st rd or early in the second round, a high upside gamble but low floor.

People have exaggerated expectations of 3rd pair D-men, have you watched the playoffs? Lot's of meh defensemen even on good teams.
Santini was taken the next pick by NJ, in 36g, 38.4 Corsi, -13.0 CorsiRel. That was after a decent rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad