Injury Report: Samuel Morin, Torn ACL

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Well, given the next three picks were Domi, Morrissey and Wennberg, Holmgren kinda blew it.
Morin is the kind of player Hextall takes late in the 1st rd or early in the second round, a high upside gamble but low floor.

People have exaggerated expectations of 3rd pair D-men, have you watched the playoffs? Lot's of meh defensemen even on good teams.
Santini was taken the next pick by NJ, in 36g, 38.4 Corsi, -13.0 CorsiRel. That was after a decent rookie season.
It was Patterson that really vouched for Morin but obviously Holmgren and apparently the scouting staff were swayed..

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It was Patterson that really vouched for Morin but obviously Holmgren and apparently the scouting staff were swayed..
I remember reading an interview with Bob Clarke where they asked him what he learned most in his first stint as GM. He said one of the the things he learned is that, when it comes to drafting, don’t always listen to the opinions of the scouts who speak the loudest about a particular player. When I watched the Patterson video speaking about Morin that draft year, where he even went as far as to suggest he’d take Morin over Monahan, I immediately thought of that Bob Clarke interview.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Morins comments on Twitter last night were nice to see. He is not letting this discourage him and is determined to get past and become a great hockey player still.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
The fluke knee injury happened after the Flyers season ended. Sanheim also suffered a fluke knee injury in the AHL playoffs, he was just lucky it wasn't nearly as serious.

It's either: didn't dominate

Or: wasn't dominant

This is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to reading posts on any forum.

Reactions: kudymen

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
The Grammer police? :sarcasm:
fry.PNG

Reactions: freakydallas13

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Some folks like drama and are creating a scenario for that around Morin. There are people who are acting like his leg fell off and he's a wheel chair candidate for the rest of his life. Get a grip. He's an NHL ready player who is coming off of an injury. He would have been up with the team this season if the team didn't have a shortage of RHD so Hagg got the call instead. Then came the groin injury that held him back from being an in season call up.
Morin is a big guy which often is the type of player that takes some time to develop; especially on defense. He'll be back in Philly by Feb and playing regularly after that. Check out his tweet-he's dedicated to getting back on the ice ASAP. I wouldn't bet against him.

Evergreen

Some folks like drama and are creating a scenario for that around Morin. There are people who are acting like his leg fell off and he's a wheel chair candidate for the rest of his life. Get a grip. He's an NHL ready player who is coming off of an injury. He would have been up with the team this season if the team didn't have a shortage of RHD so Hagg got the call instead. Then came the groin injury that held him back from being an in season call up.
Morin is a big guy which often is the type of player that takes some time to develop; especially on defense. He'll be back in Philly by Feb and playing regularly after that. Check out his tweet-he's dedicated to getting back on the ice ASAP. I wouldn't bet against him.
Hagg isn't a RHD. Hagg got the spot over Morin primarily because he was safer and less prone to turnovers in his own zone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg had experience playing RHD, Morin didn't.
If they thought Morin could handle RHD, he'd probably would have beaten out Hagg.

People talke as if the opening day lineup was writ in stone.

Hextall said when he sent Morin down he expected him to play last year, I think he sees the Phantoms as roster "hamburger helper" since they're less than 2 hours from South Philly. So sending a NHL ready guy down is more like stashing him than anything else, letting him stay fresh by playing on a regular basis. On the road it's more complicated, because it can take a day or two to catch up to the team.

Curious, are there any rules preventing an AHL player from practicing with the team on a Phantom off day just in case, say if they were uncertain about an injury and wanted a player to be ready without having to make a transaction until they have an injury update?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg made the team to play LD and only switched to RD when Ghost asked him to.

So no, that wasn't why he was on the roster. They had more than enough guys who could play on the right, if needed. Ghost, Mac, Gudas, and Sanheim.

Hagg made the team because Hakstol mistakenly thinks he's good, as was proven by his severe overuse.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually he isn't, it's hard to skate with a pulled groin, and harder with a torn ACL.
Assuming a minor league player, especially one who isn't exceptional except for his size, will be a solid NHL player is a projection.
Neither Hagg nor Morin stood out in the AHL like Sanheim or Myers.

Who knows, Friedman picks up his game next year and beats out both Hagg and Morin in 2019-20. Crap happens.

Reactions: Fixxer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he were healthy, we wouldn't be having this conversation, since he'd have come up for his 10 game cameo, and either he outplays Hagg or there's no argument.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was healthy when he got sent down.

He outplayed Hagg in the AHL
He outplayed Hagg in the preseason.
If he had been given a chance, he probably outplays Hagg in the NHL too, but it’s Hakstols fault we didn’t get to see that.

THEN he got injured.

Reactions: bauer

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
You cant teach size. His size alone will make him an effective addition to our D. We dont need him to be a top pair guy...just to be a physical presence back there and a solid PKer.

He shouldve made the team over Hagg.

Reactions: Fixxer and Striiker

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You cant teach size. His size alone will make him an effective addition to our D. We dont need him to be a top pair guy...just to be a physical presence back there and a solid PKer.

He shouldve made the team over Hagg.
His size along makes him a effective addition to our D . What? If this game is just about size boy would scouting and developing be easy. Some people are so enamoured with size they are completely blind to everything else . Now i'm not saying he won't make it here but if he did he is a 6-7 dman right now ,does not mean he won't develop further. I'm also not a big Hagg fan but having Morin in there over Hagg is not going to make much of a difference and ain't pushing us past the Penguin's . So stop acting like it is such a hugh deal , Myers and possible Sanheim if he improves defensievly will be way more impactful .

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Almost anyone that played 10+ Games leaguewide in the NHL would be an upgrade over what Hagg gave them at ES last year. No, that’s not an exaggeration. I’m defending two overwhelmingly-maligned Defensemen on that team by proxy, so there’s no anti-Hakstol/Hextall agenda.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Couldn't outplay Nick Schultz, much less Hagg or Manning. Get a grip Hexy knows more about hockey than you do and if it wasn't for waiver eligibility he might not even sniff flyers next year.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad