News: Samson reinhart looking to move on

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think this would be an interesting option if the sabres also trade eichel

Not sure on value or who would add or if just 1 for 1. I could see the switch being interesting to both teams
Hrm, trade a player with good counting stats and excellent underlyings for a player with horrid underlyings. I think not.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Stop the cap.

ROR was a better player than Reinhart when he got traded. Expect that type of return.
There's things to be said both for and against the salary cap but either way, I'm not the right addressee for that kind of request of yours.

The ROR trade was under a different GM and under different circumstances (owners likely rushed a trade due to upcoming bonus payments, limited amount of suitable trade partners) and probably everyone in the hockey world considers it one of the worst trade returns in recent history.

Is there a chance Sabres fans could end up being underwhelmed by the return in a Reinhart trade? Sure. But the ROR trade is not a reasonable benchmark.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
May have something to do with the fact that they're the ones actually watching him play vs. other people just score sheet watching.

Why is it hilarious? This season proved he could handle the role and produce.

I don't think any GM who wants to make the playoffs is going to look at Reinhart and tell themselves this is the solution for our 1C, unless their centers are so bad anything is an upgrade (which, looking around the league, could be a possibility). And even then, it would be more about giving the guy a chance, not so much about being sure it's going to work out.

It's not that Reinhart isn't a good player. I get that he played well this year. But.. the problem is he has no track record of leading his team down the middle to any type of success in this league, not to mention wasn't this like the first year he actually played center full time? It would be irresponsible to pay premium for a guy like that especially when you know the Sabres don't have much control left over him.. if it fails that's the type of stuff that can get you fired.

GM's job in this situation is to use all of these things as leverage to bring the price down, not empty their pockets.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I don't think any GM who wants to make the playoffs is going to look at Reinhart and tell themselves this is the solution for our 1C, unless their centers are so bad anything is an upgrade (which, looking around the league, could be a possibility). And even then, it would be more about giving the guy a chance, not so much about being sure it's going to work out.

It's not that Reinhart isn't a good player. I get that he played well this year. But.. the problem is he has no track record of leading his team down the middle to any type of success in this league, not to mention wasn't this like the first year he actually played center full time? It would be irresponsible to pay premium for a guy like that especially when you know the Sabres don't have much control left over him.. if it fails that's the type of stuff that can get you fired.

GM's job in this situation is to use all of these things as leverage to bring the price down, not empty their pockets.
Asking a 25 year old who's spent all his career on an abysmally bad team for a track record of success is not what I'd imagine good GMs are doing when trying to make a good deal.

Reinhart's abilities have never been in doubt, at least not for those who watched him. He's been a bona-fide first liner for years.

The only question was, can he play center and can he carry a line without great linemates on his own, something he has now proven he can.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Asking a 25 year old who's spent all his career on an abysmally bad team for a track record of success is not what I'd imagine good GMs are doing when trying to make a good deal.

Nobody is asking anyone to do anything. Point is when you make a big purchase you have to have as many guarantees as possible. The reality is his career high is 65 points. This does not make anyone break the bank. He's spent all his years losing games which does not give you any guarantees he can successfully lead a team as the 1C, we all know winning takes more than being a good player. Your top center is expected to lead the team by example, and the guy has never sniffed at the playoffs. He doesn't even have a full 82 game season under his belt as a centerman! Remember, how good you think a player is vs what he's done to warrant a certain value are completely two different things.

The only thing Reinhart has proven that potential buyers can't downplay is that he's a top 6 player, so i would expect teams to pay accordingly. But their job is to bring up all the things he haven't done, instead of talk him up like you're doing. That's not how negotiations work. This is what Buffalo is going to try to do, not other GMs.

Reinhart's abilities have never been in doubt, at least not for those who watched him. He's been a bona-fide first liner for years. The only question was, can he play center and can he carry a line without great linemates on his own, something he has now proven he can

If you can find me a single quote by a GM outside of Buffalo saying he's confident Reinhart is a bonafide 1C i'll gladly agree with you. If not, this is your own speculation. My logic tells me 50 games playing meaningless games does not prove enough. It's a positive and something that can peak your interest, but does not make you pile up a premium price.

Oh and by the way, if you expect every GM to marathon watch Buffalo games on video you'll be disappointed. I guarantee you there are some guys who have barely seen him play. Watching Buffalo games is hardly on anyone's to do list. Most will relegate scouting to other people who will have different opinions even inside the organization.

Anyway, im not sure what type of return you want, but if you're expecting him to be a big time chip that returns close to someone like Duchene, that won't happen. There will be a lot of interest in Reinhart, but there's a BIG difference between paying 1C price and a top 6 player price. The former is very specific where you don't even have second thoughts in what you're getting and you expect that player to change the dynamic of your team, and that does not describe Reinhart.

At the end of the day negotiations are about comparables and leverages, and neither is in Buffalo's favor, at least until we know more about how many teams would actually be willing to push for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Devils need a first line forward that can finish. Hoping that Holtz becomes one but still need another. What ,if anything , do the Devils have that it would take to land Reinhart ?

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Been meaning to ask, if Sam Reinhart is unhappy and looking to leave town, would you have any interest in a change of scenery type trade with the following as the basis:

Meier for Reinhart

Meier has 2 years left (6M AAV) on his contract and then is essentially UFA. Reinhart has last year of RFA with Arbitration rights, so could walk in one. I am assuming minor adds would be needed, but don't want to debate those just yet. So, could that as a basis work?

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Devils need a first line forward that can finish. Hoping that Holtz becomes one but still need another. What ,if anything , do the Devils have that it would take to land Reinhart ?

Nolan Foote
Miles Wood
2022 1st

Reinhart
2021 3rd Round Pick

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Stop the cap.

ROR was a better player than Reinhart when he got traded. Expect that type of return.

He wasn’t, but he was very similar and this is a better call than most Sabres fans would like to think.

They just need the lottery tickets to roll better this time: the 1st to wind up in the teens, not 31st, and the prospect to be more young Wayne Simmonds and less young Tage Thompson.

Brayden Schenn went for two firsts. That’s another good comp. Tie Domi for Josh Anderson. Anthony Mantha for Vrana, a 1st and a 2nd. Derek Stepan (and Raantta) for pick 8 (and DeAngelo). JT Miller for a 1st and a 3rd. Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd, Matt Duchene for Girard, Bowers, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Eberle for Strome.

Lot of names in there that are/were on a similar tier to Reinhart.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Nolan Foote
Miles Wood
2022 1st

Reinhart
2021 3rd Round Pick

Not to nitpick but I'd rather us include Wood and Foote in a trade towards a high end LW. While our RW is weak right now, our long term RW is strong with Holtz Mercer and Clarke.

Reinhart is very good C/RW but is a bit slower and doesn't exactly fit the mold of our team, whereas moving Foote and Wood would hurt our LW depth.

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Not to nitpick but I'd rather us include Wood and Foote in a trade towards a high end LW. While our RW is weak right now, our long term RW is strong with Holtz Mercer and Clarke.

Reinhart is very good C/RW but is a bit slower and doesn't exactly fit the mold of our team, whereas moving Foote and Wood would hurt our LW depth.

Wood+ for Olofsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad