OT - NO POLITICS Sammiches, haircuts, and cakes ….oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Skip the mayo, add the horseradish sauce. And don't skimp, get the Super Beef. You will thank me for this advice.

In MI, where I grew up, we had Shedd's horseradish sauce.

Can anyone recommend a horseradish sauce around here that isn't full of crap/preservatives, etc.?

A forlorn hope, I suspect.

Roachies is only good for their blue cheese-cheddar dip and the odds and ends I can't get at Wegmans.

Walmart is a good 30 minutes away from me in Walpole so I avoid it like the plague. Wish there was one closer.

I went to get deli ham and swiss cheese and they were out of it! How can you be out of ham????

Hey @Fenway, you good??

My sister used to live in Medfield, and I think there's a Star Market there. It was terribly dirty and crummy.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
In MI, where I grew up, we had Shedd's horseradish sauce.

Can anyone recommend a horseradish sauce around here that isn't full of crap/preservatives, etc.?

A forlorn hope, I suspect.

I sometimes make my own from grated horseradish (comes in a bottle) and ranch dressing.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
January 5th!
Realize it's a cliche, but after my brother Greg died, and my mother was on her way out, one niece had her second child, and another had her first. Thereafter, my nephew had a girl.

In the midst of difficulty, in the midst of death, there is life. And nothing says life like a new born child.

Happy tidings and good luck with all,

👶🍼🐣👼

Do they taste like bacon?

They do indeed. 🥓

My daughter took this picture of my two kitties (her brother and sister) when she was home for Christmas.

View attachment 627834

Names?

I sometimes make my own from grated horseradish (comes in a bottle) and ranch dressing.
That's an option. Thank you.

Reactions: smithformeragent

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It’s a sad day. I have accepted that the 99 is a shell of itself. It was never five star dining, but it was always good enough and very cheap for the quantity/quality. They have destroyed the menu, everything went up 50 percent or more, and now it’s just not a reasonable option for a night out. I can get so much better just about anywhere else for the same money.

My favorite joint has betrayed me.
:cry: There's always Applebee's.

Not 100% sure you’d find one in the city…..but they are huge in the suburbs to the north….Revere, Saugus, all the way up to southern NH.
Not that you'll be dropping by, but I was disappointed at the French Dip (which I'd never tried) at Donahue's here in Watertown. They usually have decent fare, too.

Reactions: sarge88

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Family is a very complicated thing. As others have said all you can do is what you can do, and from there you need to protect yourself and your growing immediate family mentally.

My situation is a bit different. My parents divorced when I was 18 months old and I didn’t have a great relationship with my dad, in large part because of my stepmother. They have 3 kids together and I’ve never felt like I fit in to their family…but I was forced to for the majority of my childhood and that does a number on a kid.

As I’ve gotten older and “done the work”, I’ve realized that I just need to avoid that situation as much as possible for my own sanity. Oddly enough, at the same time, my dad has been very into trying to have a better relationship with me. On the one hand, he’s my dad and on the other hand, I’ve done a LOT of work through therapy and self reflection to work through shit from my childhood and I just don’t want to open that door again at 40. You had 37 years to build a post-divorce relationship with me, your wife was awful to me as a child and continues to be spiteful as an adult and you were either too clueless or too afraid of confrontation to do anything about it…I’m set.

My husband and I are both only children and each have one parent in the picture (my mother in law passed about 6 years ago). We’ve built a network of friends that are our family. Sure, I get a bit wistful when I read about extended family holiday gatherings because that’s not something we have, but we don’t lack for love and support.

Moral of the story, do whatever you need to do in order to protect your peace, your wife’s peace, and your munchkin’s peace. Family is what you make it.
That is so sad, I can't imagine how you must have felt. Good for you, finding a way to heal. I have no time for mean, spiteful people and being that way to a child is even worse. My own brother, a police officer no less, basically abandoned his kids when he remarried. They were kicked out at 16 and he refuses to even speak to them to this day, now over 30 years.

I am glad you now have love and support.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
That is so sad, I can't imagine how you must have felt. Good for you, finding a way to heal. I have no time for mean, spiteful people and being that way to a child is even worse. My own brother, a police officer no less, basically abandoned his kids when he remarried. They were kicked out at 16 and he refuses to even speak to them to this day, now over 30 years.

I am glad you now have love and support.

I was a very anxious kid who was way too eager to please the adults around me.

I am now a slightly less anxious adult (thanks, meds!) who is always working on taking care of myself instead of doing things to please others. It’s hard, I ALWAYS have fomo. I know I don’t seem like it, but I’m an introvert and need my alone time, my down time. I don’t get nearly enough of it because I’m always on the go…either to please others or because of FOMO.

That’s a goal for me in 2023. More time at home. I decided to choose one cookbook per month and make a few recipes per week from it for something to look forward to and a reason to stay home. I’m starting with Half Baked Harvest’s original cookbook…I probably should have sat down with it earlier because there’s a ton of great stuff in here!

CE7144E5-AB72-4E44-BA5A-06B0A77FBBD1.jpeg

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I was a very anxious kid who was way too eager to please the adults around me.

I am now a slightly less anxious adult (thanks, meds!) who is always working on taking care of myself instead of doing things to please others. It’s hard, I ALWAYS have fomo. I know I don’t seem like it, but I’m an introvert and need my alone time, my down time. I don’t get nearly enough of it because I’m always on the go…either to please others or because of FOMO.

That’s a goal for me in 2023. More time at home. I decided to choose one cookbook per month and make a few recipes per week from it for something to look forward to and a reason to stay home. I’m starting with Half Baked Harvest’s original cookbook…I probably should have sat down with it earlier because there’s a ton of great stuff in here!

View attachment 628344
My gosh - first recipe I looked at was

Chili Crisp Chicken Mango Cucumber Rice Bowl.​

It looks amazing

Reactions: Kate08

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
My gosh - first recipe I looked at was

Chili Crisp Chicken Mango Cucumber Rice Bowl.​

It looks amazing

Half Baked Harvest is my favorite food blogger. She has 3 cookbooks now and I have them all but have done a poor job of cooking from them. Part of my monthly cookbook cooking will be indexing recipes I want to try in a google doc for reference so I will eventually have one stop for all the recipes I’m in interested in within my cookbook collection.

Reactions: caz16 and NeelyDan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Won’t be missing him at all. Sorry if that’s controversial but I have a hard time expressing sadness for someone who ignored child sex abuse as a Cardinal in Munich.
He also set up Cardinal Law's promotion

I respect that he did resign.

Reactions: Alicat

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Alrighty.

I don't know about Luna(tic?), but bro Pippin has his own B show,

View attachment 628403
Luna. is from Harry Potter. She probably would have had a different name if I knew how many people were naming their pets Luna.

When I went to the cat shelter. She kind of skipped up to me right away (there were many kittens). She made me think of Luna Lovegood.
1672493110568.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Harry Reasoner did not want a cohost making twice what he was making.

This is live TV being awkward

These clips remind you how far the industry has come but still has a lot of work to do in the equality department.

I watched 20/20 religiously with my dad growing up. In a twist Barbara passed 7 years to the day my dad did.

Barbara, Connie Chung and Natalie Jacobson were my inspiration growing up and why I wanted to be a journalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad