OT - NO POLITICS Sammiches, haircuts, and cakes ….oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

Attachments

• BFFFC46F-8E11-49D6-9F6B-9ACEBB76CD78.jpeg
    BFFFC46F-8E11-49D6-9F6B-9ACEBB76CD78.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 3

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I don't do resolutions, but I do strive to try and be a better person each and every day and I'm sure your effort is noticed. You seem very well-liked on this website from my time browsing here. I know how we behave on the internet doesn't tell the whole story, but you seem to be a good guy so keep up the good work :)

I've specifically tried being very empathetic. It's easy to get mad at someone, but when you start to look at things from others' POV makes me calm down and realize their situation or the possible situations they're in.

One example is you get a couple rude customers at the grocery store during the Christmas season (although 99% of them were lovely). It's easy to think "What a f***ing rude asshole, f*** that person" and I think that's natural in the heat of the moment, but I also know the holidays can be both a very stressful time and a very somber time for many so I try to let it go and move on. I like to give others the benefit of the doubt.
If we all elevate our compassion like this it will be a beautiful change over time. I'd love to say I'm perfect at this, but I am not. So its a sustained daily process for all of us...but considering where people's behavior manifests makes it not about us.....and that is truly compassion.
The holidays are always somber and rough for me, so, I'm one of those people. :)

Anyone have any new years resolutions they'd like to put out there into the ether for a little accountability?

I had probably the most disastrous 2022 imaginable. It wasn't without some positives, as I managed to further develop my career at a new Bank after being let go from a 20 year career at TD.

However, my love life was chock full of horrible mistakes. Selfish, short-sighted and hurtful mistakes.

My lone resolution is to become a better person this year. In as many forms as I can.
Welcome to the human experience. I find your honesty refreshing and grounding.

My rule is...when things feel shitty, I give back. Volunteer, offer to help, be of service. You will never go wrong. It pulls us out of that "selfish" focus.
Congratulations on turning inward with reflection. <3

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The articles aren't very clear, was Jeremy Renner run over by a snowplow, or was he driving and crashed into one? All they say are that he had blunt force trauma in a snowplow related accident only involving himself. I'm not sure how that occurs unless he was driving the plow

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
The articles aren't very clear, was Jeremy Renner run over by a snowplow, or was he driving and crashed into one? All they say are that he had blunt force trauma in a snowplow related accident only involving himself. I'm not sure how that occurs unless he was driving the plow

I think he got out of the plow and then it fell on him or something. He might of accidentally forgot to shut it off. Because he has injuries to his chest and legs. Sounds like it was run over.

Thank God to his neighbor doctor who made a tourniquet.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
If we all elevate our compassion like this it will be a beautiful change over time. I'd love to say I'm perfect at this, but I am not. So its a sustained daily process for all of us...but considering where people's behavior manifests makes it not about us.....and that is truly compassion.
The holidays are always somber and rough for me, so, I'm one of those people. :)

Welcome to the human experience. I find your honesty refreshing and grounding.

My rule is...when things feel shitty, I give back. Volunteer, offer to help, be of service. You will never go wrong. It pulls us out of that "selfish" focus.
Congratulations on turning inward with reflection. <3

It's clear you're a writer, you have such a lovely way with words. I appreciate your response.

• Love
Reactions: Kovi and Mione134

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Currently at the dentist due to a broken off molar. Not looking forward to the solution, whatever it may be. :help:

And the verdict is......root canal and a crown.

No dental insurance, the crown will set me back $1565.00. Waiting to hear back from the endodontist on the root canal. I can already hear my HSA account screaming.

Happy new year to me....

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Hope he's okay. He was great in "The Town." I've never seen "The Hurt Locker" but believe that made his career.

Renner was so good in The Town that I thought he must have grown up in MA same as Ben Affleck, and was surprised to learn that he didn't. I'm not a local of course, but it seemed to me that he really nailed that part.

I think he got out of the plow and then it fell on him or something. He might of accidentally forgot to shut it off. Because he has injuries to his chest and legs. Sounds like it was run over.

Thank God to his neighbor doctor who made a tourniquet.

Yeah what I read was he was standing in front of the plow inspecting something, and it had a brake or mechanical failure and started moving and ran him over. Incredibly nasty, poor guy.

Reactions: Mione134

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said the 51-year-old “Avengers” star was trying to help a stranded car outside his home on the side of a snowy mountain on New Year's Day when he was run over by his own vehicle. The accident left Renner in critical but stable condition with chest and orthopedic injuries.

“He was helping someone stranded in the snow,” Schieve told the Reno Gazette-Journal Monday night. She said she and the actor are friends and that she was called about the accident shortly after it happened Sunday morning near the Mt. Rose Highway that connects Reno to Lake Tahoe.

“He is always helping others,” she told the newspaper.

• Wow
Reactions: Mione134

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
My wife and I have been thinking for a little while about if and how to go and see this Bruins team. They are having a special season, this could be it for Bergy and Krejci, even Pasta is not yet a lock. But Boston is so terribly far away and an expensive place to get to and stay in. So we have come up with an alternative and bit the bullet and committed to it - Alberta!

The Bruins play the Oilers and Flames back to back on the road in late Feb and we will (fingers crossed) be at both games. It's still a long flight and it's still not cheap, but it's more manageable than going to the east coast. Plus we will hopefully also see the likes of McDavid, Draisaitl, Huberdeau and Lucic, and we can spend a couple of extra days in the Rockies before returning home. A long way to go for only a week, but we think it will be fun!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Renner was so good in The Town that I thought he must have grown up in MA same as Ben Affleck, and was surprised to learn that he didn't. I'm not a local of course, but it seemed to me that he really nailed that part.

Yeah what I read was he was standing in front of the plow inspecting something, and it had a brake or mechanical failure and started moving and ran him over. Incredibly nasty, poor guy.
Apparently helping a stranded motorist.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
My wife and I have been thinking for a little while about if and how to go and see this Bruins team. They are having a special season, this could be it for Bergy and Krejci, even Pasta is not yet a lock. But Boston is so terribly far away and an expensive place to get to and stay in. So we have come up with an alternative and bit the bullet and committed to it - Alberta!

The Bruins play the Oilers and Flames back to back on the road in late Feb and we will (fingers crossed) be at both games. It's still a long flight and it's still not cheap, but it's more manageable than going to the east coast. Plus we will hopefully also see the likes of McDavid, Draisaitl, Huberdeau and Lucic, and we can spend a couple of extra days in the Rockies before returning home. A long way to go for only a week, but we think it will be fun!

You will be the first persons on Earth who willingly go to Alberta in February.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
You will be the first persons on Earth who willingly go to Alberta in February.

We are aware it is most likely going to be very cold. But that is part of the charm - we don't have snow or frozen ponds or outdoor skating courses or toboggan hills here. No 'proper' winter at all really. So that is all novelty to us.

Besides, Banff is in Alberta and there will be a smattering of snow-starved Aussies haunting that joint every winter!

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
We are aware it is most likely going to be very cold. But that is part of the charm - we don't have snow or frozen ponds or outdoor skating courses or toboggan hills here. No 'proper' winter at all really. So that is all novelty to us.

Besides, Banff is in Alberta and there will be a smattering of snow-starved Aussies haunting that joint every winter!
Plus those are two very nice arenas to catch games in - either on Saturday/Hockey Night in Canada?

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Plus those are two very nice arenas to catch games in - either on Saturday/Hockey Night in Canada?

No, Monday and Tuesday nights, so not exactly prime time. But those buildings always seem full of very enthusiastic fans, so should be good regardless! We're sitting near the front of the top tier at both venues, center ice but towards the Bruins shoot twice end at Rogers Place, and in the corner at the Saddledome, again at the Bruins end. We'll brave it in our Bruins gear, I'm sure the Alberta folks will be nice about it, hopefully :nod:

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Sounds perfect!

I was having the same kinda feelings today and pulled the trigger on a pair of Easter Sunday club box seats in Philly & hotel room (to sweeten the deal for hubby, who hates to drive at night).

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Sounds perfect!

I was having the same kinda feelings today and pulled the trigger on a pair of Easter Sunday club box seats in Philly & hotel room (to sweeten the deal for hubby, who hates to drive at night).

Sounds great! I've been to the arena in Philly (for basketball, not hockey) and it's a nice venue.

Reactions: sooshii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad