Player Discussion: Sami Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Now with Morrissey out, it really shows what a mistake it was to delay Nikus development with his extended press box assignment.

Define extensive.

It was already pointed out to you that he's been scratched a total of 11 NHL games this year.

People have provided you with facts. Perhaps use them when presenting your argument.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Define extensive.

It was already pointed out to you that he's been scratched a total of 11 NHL games.

People have provided you with facts. Perhaps use them when presenting your argument.
Agreed. That's the approx equivalent of a 3 week injury. Would have zero impact on his development. Nice opportunity now for him to show what he offers over a string of games.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Niku is not only going to be a good player, he is going to be a great player. He is the type of defenceman this team has lacked since they came to Winnipeg.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Define extensive.

It was already pointed out to you that he's been scratched a total of 11 NHL games.

Agreed. That's the approx equivalent of a 3 week injury. Would have zero impact on his development. Nice opportunity now for him to show what he offers over a string of games.
I assume this was in reference to my post. I'd like to take the time to correct myself because either I can't add or my fat thumb hit the wrong digit:

So, Niku could've played in a maximum of 22 33 NHL games, but played only 11 - missing 26 games in the AHL. There's been 51 games in the AHL, but he could have only played a possible ~25 of them but has only played 20 (injury and travel). So, Niku's played 31 out of a possible 47 58 games. Seems fine, but for a prospect that could easily be in your lineup next season depending on Trouba and Myers (and however the left-side shakes out too even though he prefers playing on the RHD), I would much rather see him play a consistent amount of games.

First call-up: played 5 of 15 games
Second call-up: played 5 of 10 games
Third call-up: played 1 of 8 games

He's actually been scratched 22 times in the NHL. I've edited my original post to reflect it.

EDIT: Quoted wrong post

Last edited:
Reactions: AKAChip
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I assume this was in reference to my post. I'd like to take the time to correct myself because either I can't add or my fat thumb hit the wrong digit:

First call-up: played 5 of 15 games
Second call-up: played 5 of 10 games
Third call-up: played 1 of 8 games

He's actually been scratched 22 times in the NHL. I've edited my original post to reflect it.

EDIT: Quoted wrong post

Is that this season? Seems rather high.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Regardless, there's more to the this season than providing Niku NHL ice time.

I haven't argued he doesn't belong. Nor have I argued he's not an option over Chiarot or Morrow.

JFIF has failed to account for:

1) The roster implications for the Jets woeful depth at LD with Niku on the roster. Placing Morrow or Chiarot on waivers could result in their loss and necessitate the only other LD's available (Stanley or Schilling) to fill that spot. Failing that an RD switching sides in Nogier, Green or a post concussion Poolman. None were as optimal as the decision Maurice made.

2) the Jets 22 to at times 20 man roster. Chevy's been pithing pennies to acquire the space for Hayes & defensive depth in Beaulieu & Kiselevich. Playing Niku & sitting Chiarot or Morrow at 1.4 & 1 million respectfully wouldn't have been helpful. Jet's roster would be worse not better had Niku earned a roster spot in October.

3) Niku being played as a RD. Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers...does this need t be explained any further than that?

4) minutes played. Was Niku ever going to play more minutes than Buff, Trouba, Morrissey, Myers? Isn't playing #1 minutes in the AHL better than playing 3rd pairing minutes? He certainly wasn't getting PP time & his defensive game wasn't getting him on the PK.

5) Injuries. I'd argue had Polman not been concussed, that he rather than Niku would have been called up, thus giving JFIF nothing to complain about in the first place.

11 games...22 games. In the grand scheme of things Niku is hardly being "Petan'd", "Dano'd", or "Postma'd" by the organization. Rather the organization is doing what's best for the team as a whole.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Regardless, there's more to the this season than providing Niku NHL ice time.

I haven't argued he doesn't belong. Nor have I argued he's not an option over Chiarot or Morrow.

JFIF has failed to account for:

1) The roster implications for the Jets woeful depth at LD with Niku on the roster. Placing Morrow or Chiarot on waivers could result in their loss and necessitate the only other LD's available (Stanley or Schilling) to fill that spot. Failing that an RD switching sides in Nogier, Green or a post concussion Poolman. None were as optimal as the decision Maurice made.

2) the Jets 22 to at times 20 man roster. Chevy's been pithing pennies to acquire the space for Hayes & defensive depth in Beaulieu & Kiselevich. Playing Niku & sitting Chiarot or Morrow at 1.4 & 1 million respectfully wouldn't have been helpful. Jet's roster would be worse not better had Niku earned a roster spot in October.

3) Niku being played as a RD. Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers...does this need t be explained any further than that?

4) minutes played. Was Niku ever going to play more minutes than Buff, Trouba, Morrissey, Myers? Isn't playing #1 minutes in the AHL better than playing 3rd pairing minutes? He certainly wasn't getting PP time & his defensive game wasn't getting him on the PK.

5) Injuries. I'd argue had Polman not been concussed, that he rather than Niku would have been called up, thus giving JFIF nothing to complain about in the first place.

11 games...22 games. In the grand scheme of things Niku is hardly being "Petan'd", "Dano'd", or "Postma'd" by the organization. Rather the organization is doing what's best for the team as a whole.

Thing is that Niku is visibly improving from game to game. So another 22 games would likely have made a difference. Sitting him in the PB was wasting his time. If he wasn't going to play in the NHL, he should have been left in the AHL.

There are no roster implications when he is scratched so that Morrow can play. Morrow can sit in the PB.

Niku as a RD seems to be a thing. Not sure why a left shot D man can't play the left side, but that seems to be the plan.

AFAIK this is only talking about the games Niku spent in the PB - behind Morrow.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Thing is that Niku is visibly improving from game to game. So another 22 games would likely have made a difference. Sitting him in the PB was wasting his time. If he wasn't going to play in the NHL, he should have been left in the AHL.

There are no roster implications when he is scratched so that Morrow can play. Morrow can sit in the PB.

Niku as a RD seems to be a thing. Not sure why a left shot D man can't play the left side, but that seems to be the plan.

AFAIK this is only talking about the games Niku spent in the PB - behind Morrow.
To the 1st bolded, maybe Niku prefers a NHL paycheck to an AHL paycheck and was willing to spend a little time in the PB waiting for an opportunity. The PB is much closer to NHL action than being on the Moose roster. To the 2nd bolded, maybe Niku prefers playing on the right? There are some advantages to it in the offensive zone.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Niku himself has said he's a right sided defenseman. That's his position in his own mind.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To the 1st bolded, maybe Niku prefers a NHL paycheck to an AHL paycheck and was willing to spend a little time in the PB waiting for an opportunity. The PB is much closer to NHL action than being on the Moose roster. To the 2nd bolded, maybe Niku prefers playing on the right? There are some advantages to it in the offensive zone.

Of course Niku prefers an NHL paycheck. What does that have to do with anything?

I believe Niku does prefer the right side. I think that has been his normal position. Again, what does his preference have to do with anything?

Maybe more pertinent, IIRC he played a game or 2 on the left and didn't look very good there. Not sure of that though. Also not sure how his AHL time has been allocated, left to right.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Of course Niku prefers an NHL paycheck. What does that have to do with anything?

I believe Niku does prefer the right side. I think that has been his normal position. Again, what does his preference have to do with anything?

Maybe more pertinent, IIRC he played a game or 2 on the left and didn't look very good there. Not sure of that though. Also not sure how his AHL time has been allocated, left to right.
His preference to get a NHL paycheck might be relevant if he made it known he wanted to stay with the big club even if he had to wait his turn in the PB before getting into get into the lineup. Up until this season he had made next to nothing in terms of NHL salary. His signing bonuses and the pittance ELC guys get in the A. Maybe he saw it as a good will gesture by the organization? In terms of the right side you asked why couldn't he play on the left, and I merely responded that he prefers the right and has made this known.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
His preference to get a NHL paycheck might be relevant if he made it known he wanted to stay with the big club even if he had to wait his turn in the PB before getting into get into the lineup. Up until this season he had made next to nothing in terms of NHL salary. His signing bonuses and the pittance ELC guys get in the A. Maybe he saw it as a good will gesture by the organization? In terms of the right side you asked why couldn't he play on the left, and I merely responded that he prefers the right and has made this known.

I don't think that is how roster decisions are normally made. I think there are times when they bring up an AHL player to give him a few days of NHL money. Not 22 games because someone is injured. In Niku's case it is either Jets winning or his development. I don't think there are any other factors. I don't see his preferences playing any part in either of this things.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think that is how roster decisions are normally made. I think there are times when they bring up an AHL player to give him a few days of NHL money. Not 22 games because someone is injured. In Niku's case it is either Jets winning or his development. I don't think there are any other factors. I don't see his preferences playing any part in either of this things.
I'm guessing he didn't see those few extra games in the A as benefiting his development as much as being with the big club even if he wasn't playing regularly and those 22 games weren't all in a row. He started the season in the A playing a pretty uninspired and indifferent game where it was pretty clear he didn't have his head in the game. Just maybe through some discussions with the kid the organization felt it was in his best interest to be with the NHL team as much as possible.

Reactions: Steeler23

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm guessing he didn't see those few extra games in the A as benefiting his development as much as being with the big club even if he wasn't playing regularly and those 22 games weren't all in a row. He started the season in the A playing a pretty uninspired and indifferent game where it was pretty clear he didn't have his head in the game. Just maybe through some discussions with the kid the organization felt it was in his best interest to be with the NHL team as much as possible.

Fair enough.

If it is the org's choice to get the best out of him that way. But then I disagree with Mau's choice to play Morrow over Niku. He may be best on his more accustomed right side, but he should also be able to play the left.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Fair enough.

If it is the org's choice to get the best out of him that way. But then I disagree with Mau's choice to play Morrow over Niku. He may be best on his more accustomed right side, but he should also be able to play the left.
Agree on Niku in over Morrow, but at least for now we should see Niku in for a nice stretch of games.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
how do you guys think he's fared physically against opposition? Notably on the forecheck and retrieving pucks?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
how do you guys think he's fared physically against opposition? Notably on the forecheck and retrieving pucks?

Haven't seen him get clobbered really. Makes some nifty moves to escape pressure and bodies along the boards. Nice passes; it helps when they're accurate, which is something his teammates often seem to forget. He's obviously not big and he's going to suffer in some battles, but his stickwork and smarts will hopefully lead him to different but effective ways of coping. He looks like a player who is willing to accept responsibility at both ends of the ice, and he has tools enough to leverage that positively.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Haven't seen him get clobbered really. Makes some nifty moves to escape pressure and bodies along the boards. Nice passes; it helps when they're accurate, which is something his teammates often seem to forget. He's obviously not big and he's going to suffer in some battles, but his stickwork and smarts will hopefully lead him to different but effective ways of coping. He looks like a player who is willing to accept responsibility at both ends of the ice, and he has tools enough to leverage that positively.
I haven't either tbh. but i get into discussions with others offline how he's physically incapable of playing. i made a couple posts after that game against VGK where he went up against one the bigger/strongest guys in the league (Reaves) on the forecheck, fully expecting Niku to get bulldozed, and he came out fine.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I haven't either tbh. but i get into discussions with others offline how he's physically incapable of playing. i made a couple posts after that game against VGK where he went up against one the bigger/strongest guys in the league (Reaves) on the forecheck, fully expecting Niku to get bulldozed, and he came out fine.

That Vegas game was a particularly good one for him IIRC. He's obviously willing, will keep getting stronger physically, and will eventually play that way all the time. Hopefully.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
One of his strengths and a reason I believe he should be playing over the likes of Morrow and Chiarot is his ability to outskate a forecheck, as well as move the puck quickly and effectively to beat it. I believe the Jets have struggled against aggressive forechecks this year due to the inability of players like Chiarot, playing in top 4 roles, to elude forechecks with either his feet or by passing the puck.

Missing Buff for so long has exacerbated that, and now missing JoMo has made it even worse, especially in games like last night. I think it's an area Beaulieu can help us improve upon as well.

Physically I haven't seen Niku overwhelmed, it's obviously not the way he plays but he seems to have a good sense on when to eat the puck, use his stick to disrupt and maintain body position.

Reactions: ps241

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yep. Despite his modest size, he's a very elusive player with good positioning, able to skate and think his way out of trouble pretty consistently. No doubt he will take his share of punishment but he will also make a fair few players look foolish along the way, and come out with the puck more often than not.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yep. Despite his modest size, he's a very elusive player with good positioning, able to skate and think his way out of trouble pretty consistently. No doubt he will take his share of punishment but he will also make a fair few players look foolish along the way, and come out with the puck more often than not.
i find his skating and passing under duress pretty good, where compared to some of our D are really inefficient when either under duress or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad