Player Discussion: Sami Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No he is in tonight. Sounds like Buff is out.

Yeah, saw that in the GDT. Hadn't heard about Buff. Thought Sami was just called up because of Morrow.

Good to see Sami back in. Shame that Buff needs to get hurt for that to happen.

I know that he plays the right side a lot, maybe even most of the time, but he should not be behind Morrow on the depth chart.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Niku was the best jet on ice against the Avs. It may not seem like a great achievement, considering how bad the whole team played around him, but it actually makes his performance even more impressive IMO. I can't help but wonder how good he would be by now if he had played instead of Morrow all season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How 'bout this kid's game. Better and better every night!
He's been really good lately. Tonight was his best game. His puck retrieval and movement is top class. Still needs some work without the puck, but his gap control is very good.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Very encouraged with his play, a few tweeks here or there and more game experience and I feel he should be ready to be counted on next year, and we might really need him

LaScheifers

Feb 20, 2019
He's been really good lately. Tonight was his best game. His puck retrieval and movement is top class. Still needs some work without the puck, but his gap control is very good.
I'll say this niku is gonna be awesome

I really dont want to trade him

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
It's a travesty that it's taken so many injuries is order for him to play. He has a bright future now, and he'd better be staying in the lineup for the rest of the season/playoffs!!!

Reactions: Gil Fisher

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I disagree with the pressbox complaints with Niku. I love his style and his game as he really reminds me of a guy named Numminen back in the day with his smooth skating, puck handling, and cerebral play. Because he appears to me to such a smart player the time in the box may have been just as beneficial as being on the ice this early in his career. That being said, I think now is the time for him to shine and apply all the theoretical knowledge he as acquired studying the game.
This kid is really, really good and is likely a top pairing guy for this team next year, barring some major changes to what is expected with Trouba and Meyers.

Reactions: JetsUK

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Without the puck when the Jets have it or when they don't? I think one of the most underrated parts of his game is his play away from the puck when the Jets gain possession, he is very good at providing a relief option.
In comparison to half his peers on the blueline, his defensive positioning is a minor shortcoming.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
He is really starting to show some promise. So glad Chevy didn't involve him in any trade for a rental. I have no clue what his fancy stats look like but the eye test shows some really good upside here.

He is playing with Ben Chiarot. Remember the Myers /Chiarot pairings of the past. This alone is a positive as the pair appears to be doing what is asked of him.

I know there is discussion of him playing the right side if Trouba departs but he may also look very good beside Buff too.

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
From my perspective, the “sloppy with the puck” perception, is sometimes he tries to make very difficult touch passes, he can probably make those in the A. More experience in the big league will remove those from his game in danger areas, but overall his play has been very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad