Player Discussion: Sami Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Regardless, there's more to the this season than providing Niku NHL ice time.

I haven't argued he doesn't belong. Nor have I argued he's not an option over Chiarot or Morrow.

JFIF has failed to account for:

1) The roster implications for the Jets woeful depth at LD with Niku on the roster. Placing Morrow or Chiarot on waivers could result in their loss and necessitate the only other LD's available (Stanley or Schilling) to fill that spot. Failing that an RD switching sides in Nogier, Green or a post concussion Poolman. None were as optimal as the decision Maurice made.

2) the Jets 22 to at times 20 man roster. Chevy's been pithing pennies to acquire the space for Hayes & defensive depth in Beaulieu & Kiselevich. Playing Niku & sitting Chiarot or Morrow at 1.4 & 1 million respectfully wouldn't have been helpful. Jet's roster would be worse not better had Niku earned a roster spot in October.

3) Niku being played as a RD. Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers...does this need t be explained any further than that?

4) minutes played. Was Niku ever going to play more minutes than Buff, Trouba, Morrissey, Myers? Isn't playing #1 minutes in the AHL better than playing 3rd pairing minutes? He certainly wasn't getting PP time & his defensive game wasn't getting him on the PK.

5) Injuries. I'd argue had Polman not been concussed, that he rather than Niku would have been called up, thus giving JFIF nothing to complain about in the first place.

11 games...22 games. In the grand scheme of things Niku is hardly being "Petan'd", "Dano'd", or "Postma'd" by the organization. Rather the organization is doing what's best for the team as a whole.

Sometimes people like to find as many faults in others as they see in themselves and that's all it is. Dont sweat it Fonz, most know Niku is coming along just fine.

AYYYYY

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Sometimes people like to find as many faults in others as they see in themselves and that's all it is. Dont sweat it Fonz, most know Niku is coming along just fine.

AYYYYY
He is coming okay but has a ways to go as well . I see several good plays but in his own end he needs to get stronger and be able to battle a bit , right now he is jumping and poking . It is something that should come with time but it is noticable to me right now . I guess i don't have my Niku glasses on then .

Reactions: Flair Hay

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He is coming okay but has a ways to go as well . I see several good plays but in his own end he needs to get stronger and be able to battle a bit , right now he is jumping and poking . It is something that should come with time but it is noticable to me right now . I guess i don't have my Niku glasses on then .
People who feel Niku is doing well are wearing Niku glasses?

Maybe they just see the good things he does far outweigh the bad.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
People who feel Niku is doing well are wearing Niku glasses?

Maybe they just see the good things he does far outweigh the bad.

Count me in the good outweighing the bad category. I think he's been exceptional at challenging and holding the blue line in the offensive zone as well as choking plays off in the neutral zone before they get started. His outlet passes have been crisp and accurate and he looks like he's been making good reads. I even think his one on one defending in our zone has been fine even if he is "jumping and poking". Like any young player, he could probably improve his strength and board play, but I haven't noticed him as a liability out there where he is completely over-matched.

I hoped at the start of the season that by the time playoffs rolled around we would have a Niku Buff pairing. Adding all these LHD will make the lineup decisions difficult when we get healthy, especially if everyone continues to play well.

I'm currently hoping for:

JMo Trouba
Niku Buff
Beaulieu Myers

with Chiarot, Kulikov, Morrow, Kisevich as the extras. Maybe Beaulieu's play regresses and he's replaced by someone else. Maybe Niku gets beat up in the playoffs . I don't know, but this is how I'd like to start. Kulikov/Myers is getting smoked so I think we need to try something different when healthy and I like how Buff takes care of the kids. He did a great job with JMo.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Thank god we did not trade Niku in the Stone trade. That setup to Laine last night was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: snowkiddin

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I wish Maurice would replace Myers with Niku as 3RD when Buff comes back. Myers hasn't been good lately and I'm tired of his mistakes.

JMo Trouba
Chiarot Buff
Kulikov Niku

I've been pleasantly surprised by Boy-Loo (thanks Beyak), but I also like Chiarot and Kulikov more than most fans do.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I like the way they handled Niku. Even 5 months ago he wasn't ready, but he really seems to be grasping the defensive side of the game now. He's getting better every game and thats the most important thing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Seems to me Niku and the Jets see him as a RD. Depending on what the org plans to do with Trouba next season ibwoukd think he's either in our second or third pair on the blue line.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Imagine what we would have in Niku at this important point in the season if Niku had been playing instead of watching Morrow screw up for 25 games. One of our few high danger chances against Tampa was Niku's brilliant play to set up Laine. Yeah, he needs to develop his defensive game, but Morrow doesn't? Come on, man!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Imagine what we would have in Niku at this important point in the season if Niku had been playing instead of watching Morrow screw up for 25 games. One of our few high danger chances against Tampa was Niku's brilliant play to set up Laine. Yeah, he needs to develop his defensive game, but Morrow doesn't? Come on, man!
I still can't and refuse to wrap my head around this. Kid glove treatment.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So by this logic Niku should be rounding into Norris trophy form come playoff time.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yay.... !!!!!

Niku is officially a Jet...

f*** yah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

:clap:

Reactions: SLAYER and YWGinYYZ

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

Exactly what a lot of people have been saying for months!

Reactions: Mbraunm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad