Player Discussion: Sami Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I went to a Moose game a while back and they were playing the Belleville Senators, Niku stood out to me that entire game. How has he been progressing with the NA style of game and how has his game been overall? I haven't paid much attention to the farm since then and I've been looking more into how Niku's been doing. Looks like a steal so far.

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
Haven't seen any Moose games, just the highlights. But what I've heard, seen and understood his offensive game and skating is already NHL level, but the defensive side is still a concern. He seems to have gotten a lot more confident for NA-ice also. Niku likes to drive all the way to the net if he gets the room and I've seen more of that on the latest highlights.

Reactions: 204hockey

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The game I was at I watched him isolated when I had a chance and I really liked his game. In some ways he needs to develop what Morrissey needed to develop at the same time in his career. Keep refining the defensive side of his game without the puck. He has such sweet skills I do see a player with top 4 NHL potential. This season in the AHL will be invaluable for him. He is a step down pedigree wise from Josh but there is lots to be excited about.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would temper enthusiasm until we see Niku showing that he can handle the defensive aspects at the NHL level. That's a big step up. I am optimistic, though.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I like his game, I think we can at least be assured he'll be a better option than Chiarot and Melchiori. He may be 21, but with only half a season of North American experience, I'd say he is performing above expectations.

Reactions: ps241

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
They need to resign Enstrom his injury started our slide. Plus who do we have for depth after Niku?

Depends on the term and dollars. He's bordering on injury prone at this point, and we have/will have even more money tied up on D with Mo and Trouba. If he can be got for cheap on a 2 or 3 year deal i'm fine with it.

Can always sign a better LD than Chia in the offseason for depth.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Depends on the term and dollars. He's bordering on injury prone at this point, and we have/will have even more money tied up on D with Mo and Trouba. If he can be got for cheap on a 2 or 3 year deal i'm fine with it.

Can always sign a better LD than Chia in the offseason for depth.
Next year if Nike is ready its Mo/kulikov/Niku/ chariot unless we can get sign either enstrom or someone new. Chances are with Chevy we resign Enstrom. Big loyalty guy.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Next year if Nike is ready its Mo/kulikov/Niku/ chariot unless we can get sign either enstrom or someone new. Chances are with Chevy we resign Enstrom. Big loyalty guy.

I'm still thinking Enstrom will return to Sweden next season, although it was rumoured that an extension was promised in exchange for waiving his NMC for the XD. I just get the sense he wants to be closer to his wife and this will end his NHL career after this season

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm still thinking Enstrom will return to Sweden next season, although it was rumoured that an extension was promised in exchange for waiving his NMC for the XD. I just get the sense he wants to be closer to his wife and this will end his NHL career after this season

Makes sense doesn't it. Sadly Toby played really good hockey for a pretty crappy team for most of his career. He did earn a boat load of cash so life isn't that bad.

Reactions: Calendal

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Toby on a 1 year would be nice. Could use the depth on the Blue line for a playoff run. If we make a push this year I could see him taking a shot at cup with us.

He could be a 7th if Niku is ready or on the 3rd pair while Niku stays in the AHL to develop next year.

Reactions: Whileee

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Phase 1: Sign lucrative 1 year extension.
Phase 2: Develop mysterious allergic reaction to hockey equipment, go on LTIR.
Phase 3: Spend the season in Sweden with wife.

Problem solved. ;)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I tend to agree and think it's the best option, all other things being equal...which they never are.
If we go on a PO run and Toby stays healthy and plays well, I can see him returning for another year.
If we go on a PO run and he is beaten up, re-injured, plays tentatively or all three, I can see him retiring.
I am hoping for the former, but expect the latter.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think Enstrom re-signs a 1 or 2 year deal for about 3m per year and he is worth it if he stays healthy. I liked his game before the injury and the D is suffering because of it.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
I think Enstrom re-signs a 1 or 2 year deal for about 3m per year and he is worth it if he stays healthy. I liked his game before the injury and the D is suffering because of it.
LOL at “if he stays healthy” - it’s Enstrom!!!

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
niku will be our next enstrom might take him another 2 years to develope on the defensive side of the game but his offensive side is already there.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

I would bet we could get him cheaper than that.... and we'll have to if we want to afford our other players.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
niku will be our next enstrom might take him another 2 years to develope on the defensive side of the game but his offensive side is already there.
Wwo Niku sounds like he is really, really bad in the D zone and really good in the O-zone sort of like a Postma.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I wouldn't put so strongly, but yeah, he's got some work to do in the D zone without the puck.

From what I saw he's pretty darn good defending a puck carrier. Think he'll be just fine. Good things seem to happen when he's on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->