Player Discussion Sam Steel

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How is Steel doing?

no goals so far this year but does have 7a in 14g, which is not too bad.

He seems like hes been getting better over the last week or so.... all our rookies have struggled a bit, but steel has prob been the best. We need him to start scoring goals soon... i expected hed end up in the 40- 50 point range... which is about what hes pacin for.

I think he was playin a bit injured at 1 point in the season.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He seems like hes been getting better over the last week or so.... all our rookies have struggled a bit, but steel has prob been the best. We need him to start scoring goals soon... i expected hed end up in the 40- 50 point range... which is about what hes pacin for.

I think he was playin a bit injured at 1 point in the season.
I`m cherry picking but he has 6 points in his last 7 games.
Still needs to add strenght and explosiveness so I hope he has a big summer upcoming. But that is to be expected from a 21 old late first round center.
I think he is getting better as he just seems to be adjusting to the league pace and physicality

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I`m cherry picking but he has 6 points in his last 7 games.
Still needs to add strenght and explosiveness so I hope he has a big summer upcoming. But that is to be expected from a 21 old late first round center.
I think he is getting better as he just seems to be adjusting to the league pace and physicality
Last year he started out slow, and heated up towards the end of the year. I dont think him and terrry work as a line at this time, and eakins should avoid that.

Let steel center kase and ritchie or silf and rakell. That will help his confidence... terrys game is just not there yet

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I can live with 0.5 PPG from a 21 year old. He's showing he belongs.
He paced for .50 last season also(with a slow start)… I feel like he can push it up this year if hes playing with kase/Ritchie/steel/silf and getting pp time. I think I said before the season id hope/expect 50ish points form him(or on pace for 50ish points) and id prob stick with that, hell get better as the season goes on.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I completely forgot that haha. I understood something else in my head (that he played through injury) - my bad.
Im pretty sure his first few games back he wasnt 100%... i also think eakins playin the kid line hurt steels production... he looks way more comfortable when he plays with rakell and silf , or ritchie and kase... or even on getzlafs wing

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Developing into Carter rowney, no creativity once oh ever. The coaching staff is messing up his development making him play so safe.

He was a playmaker his whole career now you have him grinding. Smh.

Rather him be holding onto the puck and trying things and turning it over then dumping and chasing everytime.

Last edited:

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Reeks similar to Edmonton's handling of RNH. Took all the creativity out of their game by having them play in bad situations which, in essence, forced them to change their game and not in a good way.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
they're ruining this kid, he looked way better last year. maybe he's hurt, i don't know it's disconcerting to see him play elite in juniors and the AHL, show flashes of brilliance last year, and then turn into a grinder

This franchise needs to be better when it comes to forwards. Outside of Kariya,Getzlaf and Perry we have had no elite forwards drafted and developed and when it comes to picks outside round 1 with forwards its not good.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I don't think they're telling him not to be creative. He's just not having success when he tries to be. He's singlehandedly killed a lot of power plays when he starts getting fancy. Some of that is his speed is pretty ordinary. You have to put the fear of your speed into NHL defenders to have a chance to deke them.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think they're telling him not to be creative. He's just not having success when he tries to be. He's singlehandedly killed a lot of power plays when he starts getting fancy. Some of that is his speed is pretty ordinary. You have to put the fear of your speed into NHL defenders to have a chance to deke them.
I mean fowler, Lindholm, Getzlaf, terry … and basically everyone else on the team have done a good job killing our powerplays too being fancy.

Hes also made some nice plays on the power play at times.

Im not really worried about sam steel.... I think hell still become a 2c for us. People just have no patience... and think throwing a bunch of rookies in the line up and think they are going to feed off each other for confidence. I think its been a coaching error playing the rookies together, we should have spread em out from the start. Steels game was never about speed, even at juniors.

There are a ton of players that are from his draft class that havnt turned into the players they will become yet.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He has been around for long, but still on his ELC. However, perhaps his thread can even be re-categorized as a player discussion.

Anyways, nice outtake. Didn't realize how instrumental he was to that goal.

He does need more muscle to be more effective. It might take 1-2 more years. But he looks like to be a net positive player in the NHL already.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
He does need more muscle to be more effective. It might take 1-2 more years. But he looks like to be a net positive player in the NHL already.

Definitely needs to add some strength but he’s noticeably quicker and has shown poise with the puck these first two games, something we are seriously lacking among our forward group.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Definitely needs to add some strength but he’s noticeably quicker and has shown poise with the puck these first two games, something we are seriously lacking among our forward group.
He was heating up before the stoppage last year. Was watching the last games many times over the summer. He looks to be picking up where he left off.
Once he builds up strenght and keeps adding speed (hopefully), he could push for a top6 caliber

And again, Ducks were #14 in the last 20 games, but that is a topic in another thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad