Player Discussion Sam Steel

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think they're asking him to do that because he's been pretty useless off the puck and barely contributing offensively anyway so they'd rather him not be a black hole. Of course I think he should just be in San Diego regaining his confidence.
It's not just that, at all. Steel is a smart player with good vision and quick feet and he's already good at face-offs. Defensive centers who can also chip in offensively are actually valuable, it's not some useless concept for throwaway prospects.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Because that's what they do.
For sure, Comtois, Zegras, Lundestrom, Jones, Kase, Sprong, Milano, Ritchie, Terry, Roy, Rakell, Noesen, Maroon, Karlsson, Etem, Palmieri, Smith-Pelley, Silfverberg, Beleskey, Bonino, Holland ... all developed as grinders and told not to worry about points.

Such a Ducks thing to do.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'm not incensed because they're doing that, honestly, it's very much a decent developmental path to take if they really do see a player fitting that role. Especially if a team looks at its future roster and prospect pool and realises that there's not much similar talent there.

What I worry about, and question about all of this, is that I really don't think Steel's it? He's small, which in and of itself is no issue really if you have the frame, but he's also kinda scrawny, not very physical, not very good a forechecker on this level, and I don't really see his defensive acumen being anything other than average either. There's nothing to me that screams this player should follow that trajectory, and I am afraid that he's being shoehorned into a role the Ducks' management has just decided needs to be filled with somebody.

I'd rather he was developed as a potential scoring-forward first — and if he becomes a dud then so be it — than being pushed into a role that doesn't get the most out of him.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It's not just that, at all. Steel is a smart player with good vision and quick feet and he's already good at face-offs. Defensive centers who can also chip in offensively are actually valuable, it's not some useless concept for throwaway prospects.
Steel is a smart player, and checking centers who can chip in offensively are valuable, to that I agree. But I don't see speet or strength for Steel to do that.
If anything Lundy might be a better fit for that

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Steel was drafted as a two-way center who happened to explode offensively after his draft, I don't think wanting him to work on his defensive and off the puck game at the NHL level is trying to turn him into something he's not. In junior he created a lot of his offense from being a puck hound with hands and a good shot, he wasn't a pure skill Zegras type even if the numbers made it look like that.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
For sure, Comtois, Zegras, Lundestrom, Jones, Kase, Sprong, Milano, Ritchie, Terry, Roy, Rakell, Noesen, Maroon, Karlsson, Etem, Palmieri, Smith-Pelley, Silfverberg, Beleskey, Bonino, Holland ... all developed as grinders and told not to worry about points.

Such a Ducks thing to do.
If I was another poster on here I would go through each and every player you mentioned and debunk how successfully they were developed. But that would bore me. I can't believe you seriously think that this Duck regime has done a good job developing scoring forwards.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If it helps his game, I'm all for it. The Top 6 potential has pretty much sailed or has become a long shot now with this club. With guys like Zegras on the near horizon and Lundestrom having a strong season, he pretty much lost his spot in the Top 6.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
If I was another poster on here I would go through each and every player you mentioned and debunk how successfully they were developed. But that would bore me. I can't believe you seriously think that this Duck regime has done a good job developing scoring forwards.
You can debate how successfully or not they were developed, but you can't debate that they were just purposefully turned into grinders, because they weren't.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Plus, and correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't really watched the AHL, but don't we already have BO Groulx in the system who could fit that role much, much better in the long term?

Maybe, but maybe it's also time to rethink his ceiling too. He's having a better offensive year than most of the vaunted Kings pool despite being in a checking role, maybe there's more there.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Steel was drafted as a two-way center who happened to explode offensively after his draft, I don't think wanting him to work on his defensive and off the puck game at the NHL level is trying to turn him into something he's not. In junior he created a lot of his offense from being a puck hound with hands and a good shot, he wasn't a pure skill Zegras type even if the numbers made it look like that.
As someone who was kind of shocked to read that quote about Steel, this actually does make sense.

I think my frustration is still with the fact that to me it seems we have given up on developing his offensive game. It's not only about the Eakins quote but the fact that we are not sending him to the Gulls to get confidence back, when we have been clearly able to do it.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Steel showed NHL offensive potential when he scored a hat trick as a rookie but then it was all downhill from there with him suddenly being turned into a grinder the following season. Why does this franchise have to coach skill away from a player ?

Lundestrom is a 2way center that can develop into a 3C or 2C
Steel is a Grinder who looks like he's set to be a 4C in the future or if on a really bad team he could play 3C.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If you look at this through the lens of HC Eakins and his favoritism to Steel, then you can kinda understand what that Stephens' info is all about. Eakins wants to limit Steel's scope to be a more efficient NHL player. That's good on Eakins to correct a young player.

Here's the kicker, Steel is and has been waiver eligible this season. We have other centers in Grant, Backes, or Carrick that can slot into that 3C role so that Steel can continue his development down in the AHL. Last year, Steel looked overwhelmed, but we didn't have enough talent to push him down to the AHL. This year, Steel started to struggle early into the season along with Terry, Comtois, and Lundestrom. Lundy got sent down. Terry got benched more often than Steel. Comtois is a streaky scorer who goes invisible often, but he's still one of the Ducks better scoring threats. With Eakins acknowledging Steel's continued struggle, Eakins still keeps him up at the NHL level. Instead of honing his puck possession skills down in the AHL as well as improving his defense to where Steel's confidence gets some boost with actual production, Eakins continues to keep a struggling Steel at the NHL level.

Isac Lundestrom participated with Timra in Hockey Allsvenkan's (HA) pre-season and 12 regular season games. Lundy posted up 11 points (5g, 6a) in 12 games. HA is the second tier for hockey in Sweden. Then Lundy gets recalled and starts three NHL games as a winger. That's very odd because he played 1C with Timra and was good at it. Because Lundy did not produce at wing, playing with Getz, Lundy was sent down to the AHL. Isac participated in the AHL pre-season and somehow coach Dineen helped Lundy's mentality. Lundy looked very good at wing as he traversed the ice with ease and a nose for the net. The games Isac participated in were pre-season games, thus no Elite Prospects recording. Isac was recalled after his blossoming AHL stint, still at wing. Lundy looked good at wing in his first game back, but then due to center issues, Isac was placed back at center and he has become the Ducks' default 1c.

I bring up Lundy because he improved his game at a lower level of hockey, was told to move to wing, and then sent down to the AHL. With Steel, we keep inserting him into the lineup despite his constant struggles. When Carrick was brought up for a couple of games, the team played a bit better and had bite. I thought Carrick earned the promotion to stay at the NHL level and made a path for Steel to go down to the AHL. Carrick should be the expectations for Steel to become.

Eakins may have an overinflated talent review on Steel ( Zegras to burn his ELC; Shatty as a 1st pairing D; Larsson back on the ice). I don't have a problem converting Steel into a grinder because at least the Ducks are getting something than nothing from a first rounder. Yet, I do have a problem when Steel is waiver eligible because that means Steel is still young and learning curve is taking a bit longer. Why give up on Steel when he's still young and waiver eligible? Why not convert him to wing now that Lundestrom has re-established himself back at center? Steel's situation is odd when we have another center prospect in Lundy that was moved around quite a bit, regardless of this recent Stephens reporting.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Two way centers don't have to be 3rd liners. Kesler was an elite second line center that really focused on his shut down role. I actually like this. It lets Sam focus on an area of his game with the most room for improvement and takes pressure off of trying to get points. He has the offensive skill and if he can improve the defensive side of his game he could be the type of center that creates chances from generating turnovers like Kesler used to. This could be really good for the Ducks longer term. I just hope they try to build a line around that concept like we did with kesler.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Potentially, but so what? Is one enough?
Fair, I guess not necessarily. Ideally I'd see a lineup composition of two scoring lines, one grindier "checking line" with scoring potential, and one energy line that can be thrown in to cause mayhem on the ice, but that's not a necessity. If Steel can become a defense-oriented center who enables his linemates that's certainly not a bad thing.

Maybe, but maybe it's also time to rethink his ceiling too. He's having a better offensive year than most of the vaunted Kings pool despite being in a checking role, maybe there's more there.
Yeah, could be. It'll be interesting to follow his trajectory the next few years for sure. Could have a real gem in the raw here.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
His vision was always his best attribute. He needs to be told to use it more instead of being content to cycle and get pucks in deep
Would like to give him a shot at wing and see if he can produce from there before moving him into a role like this. Outside of faceoffs, Steel will actually need to come a very long way defensively to be the type of player that they probably envision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad