Player Discussion Sam Reinhart: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Oilers fan who is also a Sam Reinhart fan asking....what does the arrival of Jeff Skinner mean for the Reinhart negotiations, and to his spot in the lineup? I have been watching the RFA list shrink with interest as I have heard little about Sam and curious where they are at in negotiations. Not sure who his linemates were last year, or who they were expected to be this year, but does this make a bridge deal that much more likely? (probably room to sign him to a long term deal still, but a lot less room with Skinner in Buffalo now).

Any thoughts Sabres fans?
Not sure how others feel but IMO Skinner has no effect on Reinhart. Reinhart is either RW1 or 2C.

Last edited:

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Oilers fan who is also a Sam Reinhart fan asking....what does the arrival of Jeff Skinner mean for the Reinhart negotiations, and to his spot in the lineup? I have been watching the RFA list shrink with interest as I have heard little about Sam and curious where they are at in negotiations. Not sure who his linemates were last year, or who they were expected to be this year, but does this make a bridge deal that much more likely? (probably room to sign him to a long term deal still, but a lot less room with Skinner in Buffalo now).

Any thoughts Sabres fans?

Reinhart's days in Buffalo have been numbered since the day Tim Murray was fired. I would be way more shocked by Botterill signing him to a long term deal than i would by him including him in a trade before the season starts.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Totally agree. If Sam is the #2 and Mittelstadt is the #3 that's my dream scenario. A center spine of those 3 for many years to come is a dream come true but is Sam up to it.

Reactions: McHaNugYakEbNurDra

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Totally agree. If Sam is the #2 and Mittelstadt is the #3 that's my dream scenario. A center spine of those 3 for many years to come is a dream come true but is Sam up to it.

Think about Skinner and Thompson with Sam.

In two years:

Olafsson - Eichel - 2019 first rounder/trade/Okposo
Skinner - Reinhart - Thompson
Nylander - Mitts - Asplund/Davidsson?
C.J. Smith/Malone - Ogilvie - Asplund / Davidsson?

Reactions: McHaNugYakEbNurDra

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Think about Skinner and Thompson with Sam.

In two years:

Olafsson - Eichel - 2019 first rounder/trade/Okposo
Skinner - Reinhart - Thompson
Nylander - Mitts - Asplund/Davidsson?
C.J. Smith/Malone - Ogilvie - Asplund / Davidsson?
Dahlin Risto Guhle Samuelsson x x

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
If Sam is tried again at center it seems like he would be a good fit with Skinner. Eichel and Skinner is a lot of star power but you want the puck on each of their sticks. Sam can feed Skinner I would think
Why would they even try him at center again?? Didn't you guys watch him wile he played center??

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I mean, Rasmus Asplund is a more natural center with better defensive ability than either of Mittelstadt or Reinhart.

And I’m tired of splitting up Jack and Sam. Those two belong together for the next decade. Slot skinner with them for a super line, or Sheary to spread the scoring.
Sheary-Jack-Sam
Berglund-Girgensons-Okposo
Erod-Mittelstadt-Skinner
Sobotka-Larsson-Baptiste

1st line-Scoring
Shut down-matchup line
Sheltered scoring line
Grinders

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Sam won't have the pressure of driving a line by himself. If he's the #2 center he's going to have some good players on his wing by default. We needed him to score goals last year and he is suited nicely for that but I feel that he's best suited as a playmaking center dishing the puck off to good wingers.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I mean, Rasmus Asplund is a more natural center with better defensive ability than either of Mittelstadt or Reinhart.

And I’m tired of splitting up Jack and Sam. Those two belong together for the next decade. Slot skinner with them for a super line, or Sheary to spread the scoring.
Sheary-Jack-Sam
Berglund-Girgensons-Okposo
Erod-Mittelstadt-Skinner
Sobotka-Larsson-Baptiste

1st line-Scoring
Shut down-matchup line
Sheltered scoring line
Grinders

I like it. Definitely different than what I had in mind but I like having 2 lines that can actually score. That 3rd line could be really fun to watch.

And while the 2nd line doesn't look great defensively, I would rather have a somewhat balanced line like the one you put together because they can play 2 ways. I'm sick of having a "shut down line" that ultimately means 3 awful forwards who are vaguely responsible defensively.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I just don't understand why the Sabres wouldn't just make Reinhart play on his qualifying offer. The guy has zero leverage and is a dime a dozen winger.

I'm almost wondering if that is the plan for Botterill.

The sabres have 6.4 million in cap space. If Reinhart get 4 million, they only have 2.4 left. Dahlin has a 2.85 performance bonus. Mittelstud has a .850 performance bonus. Good chance these guys hit those bonuses with the amount of ice time they will be getting. That will mean the Sabres will be over by 1.3 which will be a penalty next year. I don't see Botterill wanting to take a penalty next year.

The other option is to buy out Beaulieu. 2.4 million cap hit goes to .3 this year and .4 next year. Could end up saving us .9 in cap space next year.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Ah yes let's run our 2nd best forward out of town because we can't appreciate having good players. Fantastic idea.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I just don't understand why the Sabres wouldn't just make Reinhart play on his qualifying offer. The guy has zero leverage and is a dime a dozen winger.

I'm almost wondering if that is the plan for Botterill.

The sabres have 6.4 million in cap space. If Reinhart get 4 million, they only have 2.4 left. Dahlin has a 2.85 performance bonus. Mittelstud has a .850 performance bonus. Good chance these guys hit those bonuses with the amount of ice time they will be getting. That will mean the Sabres will be over by 1.3 which will be a penalty next year. I don't see Botterill wanting to take a penalty next year.

The other option is to buy out Beaulieu. 2.4 million cap hit goes to .3 this year and .4 next year. Could end up saving us .9 in cap space next year.
There will be cap coming off the roster before the season. Botterill will make some moves.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I always thought Reinhart would be better playing #2C as a 2 way Center. With Skinner here to fill in a badly needed spot alongside Eichel. Maybe this frees up Reinhart to carving out a more comfortable niche down the line up away from Eichel. This could be a year where Reinhart is played in the right spot in the Sabres line up. Looking for better things from him. He's been ok/good, but he has the potential to be better if he finds his right role on the team this season.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I loled. Reinhart is our best winger by far right now if he plays wing at all.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I loled. Reinhart is our best winger by far right now if he plays wing at all.

You know his history of properly evaluating any player on this roster. His analysis is on par.

Reinhart is one of our best wingers no doubt.
“By far” is debatable.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
But yeah, they're in cap trouble right now. Would be an opportune moment for someone to give Reinhart an offersheet and see if the Sabres have a parachute.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
You know his history of properly evaluating any player on this roster. His analysis is on par.

Reinhart is one of our best wingers no doubt.
“By far” is debatable.
I give him credit for scoring on par with Skinner, Sheary, Okposo at this point and add for being actually good in his own end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad