Player Discussion Sam Reinhart: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
After which he offered the family to be adopted by them so they can have a child.

It was well-received at the time, but at this point the family is starting to regret it. The new baby is slow, falls over constantly, doesn't put in the work to improve itself. Quietly, the family is starting to ask the neighbors if anyone would like to exchange for a different baby, one that seems to be developing better.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
It was well-received at the time, but at this point the family is starting to regret it. The new baby is slow, falls over constantly, doesn't put in the work to improve itself. Quietly, the family is starting to ask the neighbors if anyone would like to exchange for a different baby, one that seems to be developing better.
Also, is afraid to ride a bicycle by himself.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Honestly I'm hoping for either 8x9 or 4x4.

Then the Botterill sucks crowd is confused becaused its 8 years! but, 9 mil a year?!

Or the Botterill doesn't suck crowd is confundled ... it's a BRIDGE DEAL!!!! but at the end of it he's a UFA? TF!!!

At this point watching the world burn is less taxing then having a conversation with people.
this would be the most controversial move since we gave away briere, drury, and 4 1$ts for thomas 'perrenially can't fit in for more than a season anywhere powerhouse 20 goal scorer' vanek

Reactions: Icicle

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
this would be the most controversial move since we gave away briere, drury, and 4 1$ts for thomas 'perrenially can't fit in for more than a season anywhere powerhouse 20 goal scorer' vanek

Which was also a money driven decision

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny

You forgot to include the rumored seguin for vanek trade into this. Clearly it’s all Vaneks fault we’re in this situation

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Big gap of time between the last signing and Sam. Does anyone know org vacation schedules? Are Botterill/AGMs on break now?

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Zucker picked a great season to have a career year. If they resign Sam to a non-bridge contract I hope it is for eight years. Actually it's more than hope, it should be for eight years if it is a long-term deal. A 5-6 year contract should be off the table due to too many RFA years being covered, well unless he signs for 3.5 million or something low enough that may warrant consideration. More than likely the longer you wait to sign him long-term the more the AAV will cost. The only question is whether the increased AAV will outpace the growth of the salary cap. If this team is headed towards the playoffs or even a Cup every dollar spent matters so the contracts you offer (or don't offer) will have major implications down the road. Put on your big boy pants Botts and lets see what happens.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Zucker picked a great season to have a career year. If they resign Sam to a non-bridge contract I hope it is for eight years. Actually it's more than hope, it should be for eight years if it is a long-term deal. A 5-6 year contract should be off the table due to too many RFA years being covered, well unless he signs for 3.5 million or something low enough that may warrant consideration. More than likely the longer you wait to sign him long-term the more the AAV will cost. The only question is whether the increased AAV will outpace the growth of the salary cap. If this team is headed towards the playoffs or even a Cup every dollar spent matters so the contracts you offer (or don't offer) will have major implications down the road. Put on your big boy pants Botts and lets see what happens.
Imo even if we do 7x6.5 we're gonna be great against the cap with Sam. Considering how he's developed thus far it would be insane to have him at that number in 2 years, already knowing that the cap is expected to increase... he's a core piece that could be worth 7-8 by then

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
No, getting him to agree to a long term deal now does the opposite. You pay a young improving less than ufa price now. Yes you will pay more than a bridge, but you presumably will pay more in two or three years. Plus younare paying for his prime years, before decline. And then you can see about a third deal when he’s 28-29 if you feel like he is a good investment or he wants to stay on a good team. Or you let him walk and be someone else’s moulson or okposo.

Your way saves you cap for a couple years, when the team has no need for that cap. And then you will need to pay him based on the two years of his prime and a more talented team. Not to mention signing mitts.

Game it out. You do the two year deal. You saved money, but we know it wont matter in year one, but maybe it helped year two. Now Reinhart is 24-25. Presumably your team has improved and you need to sign him. You are looking at a 6-8 year deal at 7 million bucks. Which takes him to age 30-33. Which is the concern with the bad ufa deal. So no, skipping a bridge deal is not setting the team up for a bad contract. Its setting them up for locking down a promising players best years, in which reasonably worst case scenario is only a small overpayment the first year or two. Reasonable best case scenario? You might have one of the best contracts in the league.

This is perhaps the most thoughtful post I've read on here. Ever. Not including my own of course. Really solid take here. Of course having Moulson and Okposo right here bolsters your argument.
Well done! I've budged from my position on what his deal should look like and have to agree with you.

Aug 10, 2015
Oilers fan who is also a Sam Reinhart fan asking....what does the arrival of Jeff Skinner mean for the Reinhart negotiations, and to his spot in the lineup? I have been watching the RFA list shrink with interest as I have heard little about Sam and curious where they are at in negotiations. Not sure who his linemates were last year, or who they were expected to be this year, but does this make a bridge deal that much more likely? (probably room to sign him to a long term deal still, but a lot less room with Skinner in Buffalo now).

Any thoughts Sabres fans?

Reactions: pigpen65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->