Player Discussion Sam Reinhart: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Reinhart has 4 RFA years left, correct?
So assuming I am correct: anything between 2 and 6 years is f***ing terrible, 1-2 years is bad. Gotta go at least 6 years, hopefully Botterill doesn't f*** it up. The O'Reilly trade gives Reinhart less leverage so we'll see how it works out.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
So assuming I am correct: anything between 2 and 6 years is ****ing terrible, 1-2 years is bad. Gotta go at least 6 years, hopefully Botterill doesn't **** it up. The O'Reilly trade gives Reinhart less leverage so we'll see how it works out.
i'm confused at how the ror trade gives sam less leverage in negotiations, if anything i'd say it gives him more.

could you explain please?

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
i'm confused at how the ror trade gives sam less leverage in negotiations, if anything i'd say it gives him more.

could you explain please?
We're not exactly trying to make a push next year so the threat of sitting out some games loses a lot of meaning.

There's also the thing with open center spots and Reinhart missing camp probably preventing him from getting a shot at one etc.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Giving Sam a 1 year prove it deal is a very okay route to go. I think it's obvious that he's more than the 20 goal, 40-50 point winger that he's shown so far (which is still a very good player), and I think he still legitimately has 1/2C potential.

Yea locking up Sam to a 6 - 7 year x $5-6mil is probably the best long term option, but there is always the slight risk that he doesn't end up as a consistent 6 million dollar player. I can see Botteril wanting to make sure he knows what he's paying for. And if he proves that he's worth an extra $1-2 million in aav, I would gladly pay Sam that.

And if he plays on Jack's wing and puts up 30 goals and 60-70 points, or if he plays 2C and puts up 25 goals and 50 points...I don't see why it would cost much more than Schiefele's deal anyways.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Giving Sam a 1 year prove it deal is a very okay route to go. I think it's obvious that he's more than the 20 goal, 40-50 point winger that he's shown so far (which is still a very good player), and I think he still legitimately has 1/2C potential.

Yea locking up Sam to a 6 - 7 year x $5-6mil is probably the best long term option, but there is always the slight risk that he doesn't end up as a consistent 6 million dollar player. I can see Botteril wanting to make sure he knows what he's paying for. And if he proves that he's worth an extra $1-2 million in aav, I would gladly pay Sam that.

And if he plays on Jack's wing and puts up 30 goals and 60-70 points, or if he plays 2C and puts up 25 goals and 50 points...I don't see why it would cost much more than Schiefele's deal anyways.
If Botterill is the cap wizard he's supposed to be, no bridge deal is happening.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Let's not forget that this is a negotiation, and not the GM simply deciding the term and dollar amount.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Vogl commented on a Reinhart contract in his chat today. He doesn't see more than 2-3 years.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Can we wait until the contract is signed before we start making up excuses for Botterill? :laugh:
I think we would all prefer to lock up Reinhart long-term at a lowish dollar amount, but no one knows if Sam and his agent would be on board with that. Let's not preemptively bash Botterill for an agreement between two sides that hasn't even happened yet.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Aladyyn on Eichel: Big long-term deals that haven't already been earned by on-ice production are a huge mistake!

Aladynn on Reinhart: So assuming I am correct: anything between 2 and 6 years is ****ing terrible, 1-2 years is bad. Gotta go at least 6 years, hopefully Botterill doesn't **** it up.
Depends on the cap hit, but IMO anything under $7 million cap hit is a good deal for the Sabres with little risk. I wanted 6x6 last offseason, and I still do. I'll be honest early last year I was happy we didn't do it, but I think Reinhart proved even in a bad year he can put up 20+ goals.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Depends on the cap hit, but IMO anything under $7 million cap hit is a good deal for the Sabres with little risk. I wanted 6x6 last offseason, and I still do. I'll be honest early last year I was happy we didn't do it, but I think Reinhart proved even in a bad year he can put up 20+ goals.
I'd also like 6x6.

Reactions: Mitts888

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
6x6 would be fine. Would be nice to get a little less cap hit since he's still got a lot to prove but I'm fine with that term.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Mittelstadt burned a year. He's RFA in two years.
Good point, I missed that.
I think we would all prefer to lock up Reinhart long-term at a lowish dollar amount, but no one knows if Sam and his agent would be on board with that. Let's not preemptively bash Botterill for an agreement between two sides that hasn't even happened yet.
Then just give him more money. It'll still be cheaper when it matters.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Then just give him more money. It'll still be cheaper when it matters.
Then the risk increases and the value decreases. If you weren't okay with giving Jack a big contract that wasn't already earned with on-ice production, the only reason you'd be okay with it for Sam is bias.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Then the risk increases and the value decreases. If you weren't okay with giving Jack a big contract that wasn't already earned with on-ice production, the only reason you'd be okay with it for Sam is bias.
Reinhart's not getting anywhere close to 10M even if he signs for 8 years though.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Reinhart at 6x6 sounds like the sweet spot. A little long term. And a little high. Like 95% of the NHL contracts that go past 3 years for players his age :laugh:

You know, no matter the contract (unless it’s a one year at 2 mil) there will be a small vocal minority that will rabble rabble rabble against it for various (illogical) reasons.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
I'll hop on the 6x6 train. I don't want to see a short term contract, or anything over 6 AAV.

He's a bit of an enigma even though he has reliable point production his first 3 years. He is our best net front presence/tip in on the PP guy, and yet he gets knocked off his skates by a light breeze. Last year he was awful in the first half of the season, and awesome in the 2nd half. I can see why the contract negotiations are taking a while.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->