Player Discussion Sam Reinhart - Is he the real deal?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
When did Reinhart develop such a lethal shot? That goal last night off the feed from Dahlin was nasty.

I don't think it is a development thing. I think it is a usage thing.

On the PP for instance, he's in Eichel's spot and not his Net Front spot that he plays in when Eichel is in the lineup. That means that he gets the chance to rip one timers. He never gets those looks with Eichel in the lineup.

Reactions: sufferer

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Give Reinhart a Pastranak $6.7 million x 6 years contract and sign Dahlin to a Seth Jones $5.4 x 6 years contract

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Give Reinhart a Pastranak $6.7 million x 6 years contract and sign Dahlin to a Seth Jones $5.4 x 6 years contract
I think we'll have to add to get him to stay. Anything in the 8 range should be a fair contract. I don't think we'll regret it.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
He's always had it.

Reinhart's shot was notoriously awful his first stint in the NHL, Bylsma called it a "muffin" shot. He primarily scored garbage goals in front of the net through redirects, but now his shot is genuinely good and he can score from a lot of different places because he's been forced to become a focal point of the offense due to Eichel's injury

I think we'll have to add to get him to stay. Anything in the 8 range should be a fair contract. I don't think we'll regret it.

$8 million per is terrible asset management in re-signing Reinhart, though I wouldn't be surprised if he and his agent decided to test their luck and sign only a 1-year contract in order test UFA

Reinhart is playing very well now, but he's still on pace for 60 points over a full 82-game season. He's not an $8 million dollar forward

Reactions: beerme1

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Reinhart's shot was notoriously awful his first stint in the NHL, Bylsma called it a "muffin" shot. He primarily scored garbage goals in front of the net through redirects, but now his shot is genuinely good and he can score from a lot of different places because he's been forced to become a focal point of the offense due to Eichel's injury

$8 million per is terrible asset management in re-signing Reinhart, though I wouldn't be surprised if he and his agent decided to test their luck and sign only a 1-year contract in order test UFA

Reinhart is playing very well now, but he's still on pace for 60 points over a full 82-game season. He's not an $8 million dollar forward
I'm usually pretty ignorant on the inner workings of contracts, but I don't think the Pastrnak situation compares to Reinhart's situation. He signed that $6.7x6 contract at 21. He had a bunch of RFA years left while Reinhart only has 1. That makes a huge difference. Combine that with him now playing center and being on pace for 37 goals this year....he's getting $8M.

Reactions: ClearTheTrack

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

He's on a 38 goal & 62 point pace for an 82 game season.

Skinner got $9M per year for 8 years with a full NMC for essentially the same season. Except he did get to play with Eichel for the majority of that season.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Since the pandemic started here is a list of every player contract signed with a cap hit over $6M AAV (from Capfriendly).

PLAYERSIGNING DATECLAUSELENGTHEXPIRYCAP HITSALARY

94. Mathew Barzal
9-Jan-21 3RFA$7,000,000 $4,000,000

19. Alex Pietrangelo
12-Oct-20NMC7UFA$8,800,000 $5,000,000

41. Taylor Hall
11-Oct-20NMC1UFA$8,000,000 $8,000,000

15. Jacob Markström
9-Oct-20NMC6UFA$6,000,000 $4,000,000

28. Torey Krug
9-Oct-20NTC7UFA$6,500,000 $4,000,000

65. Matt Murray
9-Oct-20 4UFA$6,250,000 $4,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last year Evolving Hockey's contract projections had Sam getting around 6 years x $7M AAV. I tend to think even that's a little high given that only 3 contracts over $7M have been handed out in the past year, and even if he does sign for term it is likely to be backloaded cash-wise while the league recovers from the losses of this year and last.

With Sam playing center and doing as well as he is, it's a win-win for us. Offer him a long term contract at whatever is deemed fair (Covid) market value, if he's willing to sign great. If not sell him to the highest bidder in a hockey trade - his value as a center should be astronomical.

Reactions: explore

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
When he was a rookie he was in the 90's for the skill competition. Not amazing but not a muffin shot.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Reinhart is a very productive player. I don't see how Buffalo can ever build a successful team with him being paid a market salary. Skinner and Okposo contracts are knees to the throat.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Credit goes to Eichel. He's been using mental telepathy to control Sam's play. Those PP one-timers from the off wing and the empty netter were all Eichel's doing. Before you pay Sam the big bucks, bear in mind that Jack only has enough bandwidth to for one player so when Jack returns, Sam will be on his own.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Reinhart is a very productive player. I don't see how Buffalo can ever build a successful team with him being paid a market salary. Skinner and Okposo contracts are knees to the throat.
Okposo is gone soon. Skinner can be bought out in two years. Then there's the possible salvation of a compliance buyout.

Even with the albatross deals we'll have plenty of elc players and the market for bottom 6 players is really cheap since all the teams spend their cap on stars.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Credit goes to Eichel. He's been using mental telepathy to control Sam's play. Those PP one-timers from the off wing and the empty netter were all Eichel's doing. Before you pay Sam the big bucks, bear in mind that Jack only has enough bandwidth to for one player so when Jack returns, Sam will be on his own.
Eichel's injury comes from Sam using a brainprobe inserted through the neck to steal his scoring ability.

Reactions: 2 others

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Welcome back! Maybe you can counter all the giraffe memes with muffins/cupcakes?

I don't think anyone has the power to do that

You are back?:thumbu:

I haven't been able to keep up with the team much these past few months, hopefully that will change soon and I can start being more active again.

Reactions: Club and Fezzy126

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Samson and Goliath will make mincemeat out of those giraffes.
maxresdefault.jpg

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
He's on a 38 goal & 62 point pace for an 82 game season.

Skinner got $9M per year for 8 years with a full NMC for essentially the same season. Except he did get to play with Eichel for the majority of that season.

Who cares what Skinner got, sure he took our cap to the woodshed but that doesn't mean every other player should get a sweetheart deal.. I would give Sam his 8 years at 7 million and that's it..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad