Player Discussion Sam Reinhart - Is he the real deal?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
9 million would be too much with the current flat cap situation. So far, I still have concerns that Sam will simply sign a one-year contract to test UFA later.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Since 7/1/2020, there have only been 4 forwards sign contracts with a cap hit over $5M that was at least 4 years long:

Oliver Bjorkstrand
Anthony Mantha
Brendan Gallagher
Josh Anderson

Gallagher at 6 yrs and $6.5M AAV is the closest comparable to Reinhart given his age.

If the Sabres can get Reinhart signed to 5+ yrs in the $6-7M cap hit range, they should do it.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Since 7/1/2020, there have only been 4 forwards sign contracts with a cap hit over $5M that was at least 4 years long:

Oliver Bjorkstrand
Anthony Mantha
Brendan Gallagher
Josh Anderson

Gallagher at 6 yrs and $6.5M AAV is the closest comparable to Reinhart given his age.

If the Sabres can get Reinhart signed to 5+ yrs in the $6-7M cap hit range, they should do it.
But now Sam plays like 1C and can ask for a lot more money. He also has very good stats this season. None of these players on the list play in the center.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
But now Sam plays like 1C and can ask for a lot more money. He also has very good stats this season. None of these players on the list play in the center.
1C on the last placed team. At least that's what i would argue if i had to negotiate lol

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The challenge is that the top center that has signed recently was a young RFA in Barzal.

Barzal got a 3 year $7M per deal.

There are not a lot of recent comparables that have been signed in this flat cap NHL.

With the new TV deals and Seattle entering next season, I think it will be really challenging to get Reinhart to sign a long term deal this off season. He could bank on the flat cap not lasting as long as people might think.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
You'll lose him because he's going to say screw you Adams I want a 1 year arbitration contract
Didn’t know you were an insider these days. Literally nobody legit has reported that.

And even if that did happen, it’s still on Adams (and Botts) since we could have signed him longer term in the past.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The challenge is that the top center that has signed recently was a young RFA in Barzal.

Barzal got a 3 year $7M per deal.

There are not a lot of recent comparables that have been signed in this flat cap NHL.

With the new TV deals and Seattle entering next season, I think it will be really challenging to get Reinhart to sign a long term deal this off season. He could bank on the flat cap not lasting as long as people might think.
Yes, but Barzal signed the bridge deal, and we no longer have that option with Sam. We either lock it for 5-8 years or trade him, there is no other option. If we could sign Sam on 7-7.5M x 5/8 Y that would be good.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
its a completely different situation, Skinner had one superb season and a career of inconsistency, I would have traded him at the dead line that season if not signed, or not sign him at all.
Reinhart was hated on this board until 2 seasons ago, the potential was always visible, progression was in an upward trajectory all his career, even with the worst management & coaches in the league. there were about 3 chances to do it, one is on Adams.

Is it hundreds of people that each post a few times, or a few people that post hundreds of times? I tend to think it's the latter.

Most fans tend to like Reinhart but have wanted more from his game, but most fans also can't recognize that coaching and deployment didn't maximize his best traits. Ironically you mentioned Skinner in the exact same post, another player that fans also can't see past the coaching/deployment/teammate impacts.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes, but Barzal signed the bridge deal, and we no longer have that option with Sam. We either lock it for 5-8 years or trade him, there is no other option. If we could sign Sam on 7-7.5M x 5/8 Y that would be good.

I know.

What I am saying is that there is no good comparable out there.

The challenge could be finding a good trade partner as any team would be in the same boat.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'm going to get chastised for this, but trade him. This team is not good enough right now, and rather than overpay him, I'd move him while his value is at an all time high. We have fundamental flaws up and down the spine of this team. Sam Reinhart, is my favorite Sabre on the current roster outside of Rasmus Dahlin, but at this point, I look at the overall team, and I'm just looking at cashing in. The current equation is not working.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'm going to get chastised for this, but trade him. This team is not good enough right now, and rather than overpay him, I'd move him while his value is at an all time high. We have fundamental flaws up and down the spine of this team. Sam Reinhart, is my favorite Sabre on the current roster outside of Rasmus Dahlin, but at this point, I look at the overall team, and I'm just looking at cashing in. The current equation is not working.

Just because the team is flawed, doesn’t mean you should trade the good players. Why not keep the good players and fix the flaws? Reinhart isn’t 33 years old with limited years left.

why not role with eichel, reinhart, and mitts as your center spine? Why not pick the wingers that have places and keep them (trade the others). Why not keep Ullmark and pair a goalie with him. Why not identify the good young defensemen on this team and find vets to inject?

rather than hug dahlin and trade everyone else

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Just because the team is flawed, doesn’t mean you should trade the good players. Why not keep the good players and fix the flaws? Reinhart isn’t 33 years old with limited years left.

why not role with eichel, reinhart, and mitts as your center spine? Why not pick the wingers that have places and keep them (trade the others). Why not keep Ullmark and pair a goalie with him. Why not identify the good young defensemen on this team and find vets to inject?

rather than hug dahlin and trade everyone else

I just don't see locking down more than 7.5 million on Sam, when we're no where close. If, and if Jack asks for a trade, then we need to move on from Sam as well and just start the whole mess over.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just don't see locking down more than 7.5 million on Sam, when we're no where close. If, and if Jack asks for a trade, then we need to move on from Sam as well and just start the whole mess over.

I would have to think that trading Sam makes it more likely that Eichel goes Denis Lemieux on Adams.

5500bf74a14c8.image.jpg

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Thread honestly needs a title update. He's been the real deal for quite a while. That's like a 2016 title.
He was the real deal then, too.

Where's all the people who said he'd never be a center at the NHL level?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Skinner was one of the best even strength goal scorers over the previous 4 years or so before the contract.

HfBoard's underrating of reinhart, and previous chances to extend him aren't really relevant.

The point is that now, like 2 years ago, we have a good player who has all the leverage because the fans will revolt if we lose him. Maybe you felt differently, but the consensus was certainly not to let skinner go. People would have called for Botterill to be fired if he let Skinner walk, and people will call for Adams to be fired /Pegulas to sell if Reinhart doesn't get a long term deal.

Again, I think he should get one, but the reality is he has all the leverage and we could very well be looking at another overpayment to keep a guy. There is no assertion that Skinner is better than Reinhart, just that the talks surrounding the contract situation are very similar to those in 2019. Fans are desperate for contributing players to stay
" In changing the ethos in Carolina, there was first the move of Jeff Skinner, who for all of his skill on the puck and sweet skating, was never going to be a player that made opponents physically uncomfortable. Brind’Amour was never going to accept this, which is part of why he was not bothered by Skinner being traded for a relative pittance."

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
viva la constant rebuild
Well, there are deals like Vrana for Mantha. It is not necessary to trade him for futures. But I hope that Sam wants to stay in Buffalo and won't ask for 9-10 million a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad