Player Discussion Sam Reinhart - Is he the real deal?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I really think he needs to get off Jack's line. His first instinct is always to try to pass to Jack, which is, granted, usually a pretty safe play, but he needs to realize he can be a driver. Give him 10 games at center and see what happens.

Been barking up that tree for a while now.

Reactions: Fearnot

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It's not even like he had a quiet month; in 14 games he had 9 points. That was after getting 11 points in 14 games in October.

I do think November was one of his worst months in terms of battling for the puck and making plays though.
You're right. He's still quietly putting up points (not so quiet in Sweden). I guess the eye test is what tells me he could be doing more.

BlindSquirrel

Dec 4, 2019
Truthfully, Reinhart is a bit tougher to judge as a player because for the most part he's been glued to Eichel for his career. I do feel like I have a fairly good grasp however .

And I see some nice potential in a trade involving him.

Reactions: BananaSquad

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Exactly. The fact that our 2nd-overall center drafted 5 years ago has barely even played there, despite our lack of depth at the position, is really frustrating.

Thing is, one can make a logical case for development on the wing his first few years even in Botts' first year. But at some point you have to make the change for what he's been drafted to be. And yes, this falls directly on the judgement of this management team and coaching staff.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Might be. A lot of scenarios, situations, contingencies will be playing out this summer. But I've just had a feeling since the bridge deal was signed that this guy is very low on Buffalo's priority list and smart career management says go where you're the prize. He would be a prize to someone.

Just conjecture -- a lot depends on our cap situation -- e.g., whether Dahlin is on pace to be the highest paid Sabre. He IS technically eligible to extend this summer. So who knows.

I just think it wouldn't be a good idea to bank on another team offering up an OS since they are exceedingly rare.

Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You're right. He's still quietly putting up points (not so quiet in Sweden). I guess the eye test is what tells me he could be doing more.

I agree, my eye test tells me he could be doing more as well. We have multiple years proving this.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Truthfully, Reinhart is a bit tougher to judge as a player because for the most part he's been glued to Eichel for his career. I do feel like I have a fairly good grasp however .

And I see some nice potential in a trade involving him.

Reinhart's a guy that you regret trading away.

Reactions: sabremike and jc17

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
I just think it wouldn't be a good idea to bank on another team offering up an OS since they are exceedingly rare.
Is it a case where if you file for arbitration you're ineligible for an offersheet? If so, I see what you're saying -- definitely bank on the arbitration route.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He was really strong on the puck last year and that has just disappeared this season. He's not winning puck battles and he's getting the puck knocked off his stick very easily. Shades of his first season.

Member 308457

Reinhart has been spectacular at times and disappears at other times. He's streaky, like many scorers. Whatever his contributions, I do not trust Botterill to trade him for a good return. As Dubya once said, fool me once, shame on me...fool me twice...don't get fooled again.

I expect Reinhart to pick up his game the second half of the season.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Overall, I haven't liked him this year. Really hate him playing with Eichel still. That being said, I'm very unconcerned with him long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: joshjull

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I definitely think he should be playing better, but 21 points in 29 games is certainly not bad.

Again, everyone wants a contract that's a steal, but when the thing allows a team friendly contract to happen (slight under-performance), happens people get scared and want to trade him. Cant have it both ways. If he struggles a little, take advantage and take the discount.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
Like others said he is producing nicely but I'd prefer to see him driving his own line either as a wing or center but that can't happen until we get a superstar talent to compliment eichel his drai or rantanen reinhart is great but i feel if he had his own line without the superstar winger it would benefit him and the team more

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Trading him wont return anything as good as Reinhart, you are either getting a younger player that should be in the mold of Reinhart in a few years or a bunch of smaller pieces that takes 3 guys to make up for all of what Reinhart does.

Neither helps.

Even when playing bad hes above average on the wing, trading him would be stupid.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why do people still fail to understand that pairing him with Jack doesn't help him, it does the exact opposite? They are complete poison paired together, and not in the good way.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Even if we understand this, why the hell does the coaching staff not see this, or Jack said that he would only play with Sam, or maybe Sam would blackmails them so that he would play only with Jack. I do not understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad