Player Discussion Sam Reinhart - Is he the real deal?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
had no problem doing that with Skinner, why not

We overpaid Skinner by about $1 M but Skinner was a UFA. We are pumping Reinhart's starts -- before a RFA contract. We did the opposite with Kane -- took him off Eichel's lane to deflate states before deadline deal.
Life in Bizarro Sabres world.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We overpaid Skinner by about $1 M but Skinner was a UFA. We are pumping Reinhart's starts -- before a RFA contract. We did the opposite with Kane -- took him off Eichel's lane to deflate states before deadline deal.
Life in Bizarro Sabres world.

Kane had gone into a pretty pronounced slump well before they took him away from Jack. Value suppression had a lot to do with what Kane did off the ice. If you recall there was a report that Botterill had a deal in place at the draft which went sideways when the nightclub incident happened.

Reactions: Jim Bob

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Skinner had a proven history of driving 5 by 5 scoring as one of the best in the league at it. He has played well and as mentioned was slightly overpaid, but he was also a UFA. I don't think Reinhart gets as much as people are mentioning here, he just isn't that good. He also plays better off Eichels line.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I still think that Sam is playing disinterested. I can’t help but wonder if he’s on the trade block, knows it, and so phoning it in.

Reactions: Smiling Ivan

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Eichel-Reinhart is starting to get as annoying as Kane-Eichel was to me. And Kane-Eichel made me dislike watching them play. Reinhart has the smarts, but he overthinks things WAY too much when he is with Eichel and ends up performing as a shell of what he could be.

We don't need a defender anymore. I'd never trade a top line winger for a goalie. The forwards I'd trade him for are on most team's untouchables list. I think Reinhart's biggest value is his low bridge deal this year will open-up some cap space for some teams to make deadline trades to get that extra defender they want. Would the Flames trade Tkachuk for Reinhart+Miller? That type of deal. These scenarios are why I think Botterill isn't moving quickly on acquiring forwards yet.

All being said, Reinhart hasn't done enough to prove he is untouchable. High price, but not untouchable.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Eichel-Reinhart is starting to get as annoying as Kane-Eichel was to me. And Kane-Eichel made me dislike watching them play. Reinhart has the smarts, but he overthinks things WAY too much when he is with Eichel and ends up performing as a shell of what he could be.

We don't need a defender anymore. I'd never trade a top line winger for a goalie. The forwards I'd trade him for are on most team's untouchables list. I think Reinhart's biggest value is his low bridge deal this year will open-up some cap space for some teams to make deadline trades to get that extra defender they want. Would the Flames trade Tkachuk for Reinhart+Miller? That type of deal. These scenarios are why I think Botterill isn't moving quickly on acquiring forwards yet.

All being said, Reinhart hasn't done enough to prove he is untouchable. High price, but not untouchable.
Tkachuk is way better than reinhart, Tkachuk is a dying breed in this game

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I still think that Sam is playing disinterested. I can’t help but wonder if he’s on the trade block, knows it, and so phoning it in.
I think it's just an issue of confidence with him. It's not the first time this has happened. The first half of last year was even worse - he would hardly hold onto the puck for more than 2 seconds before dumping it in or passing. Then he was a completely different player the second half. Krueger needs to do something to bring out that Sam. My vote, for awhile, has been to move him off Jack's line and give him more responsibility.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Sam's gonna catch fire soon and then everyone is gonna say how awesome he is. He's a streaky player, and right now is not one of his better streaks.

Reactions: Buffaloed

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
There's a long shift in the Dzone in the second period when the bench is far side. All 5 on the ice need a change. Little Sam has full control of the puck in the o zone with zero pressure and instead of just dumping it into the corner so everybody can get off he decides to start dangling, boots it, odd man break, goal. I've never seen a player do so much stupid shit with the puck and somehow constantly come out of it without blame. On the contrary, it's non stop praise for his hockey IQ. He's the Teflon Don of bad decisions and stupid plays.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
There's a long shift in the Dzone in the second period when the bench is far side. All 5 on the ice need a change. Little Sam has full control of the puck in the o zone with zero pressure and instead of just dumping it into the corner so everybody can get off he decides to start dangling, boots it, odd man break, goal. I've never seen a player do so much stupid **** with the puck and somehow constantly come out of it without blame. On the contrary, it's non stop praise for his hockey IQ. He's the Teflon Don of bad decisions and stupid plays.
Find one post praising his play, much less his IQ, in the last month.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don’t understand why Krueger simply will not let him play on the second line with Skinner, especially considering that Olofsson has improved and can interact normally with Jack.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I don’t understand why Krueger simply will not let him play on the second line with Skinner, especially considering that Olofsson has improved and can interact normally with Jack.
It's kind of weird how every coach does the same thing, regardless of how well or not it is working. It makes me think that Sam himself must be opposed to playing center.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Reinhart's comments following the OT win in Edmonton:
“We’ve had some good times, some bad times throughout this year, but the most important thing is we show up at the rink and guys are still excited to be here. We feel we’re in a good spot right now, but maybe a couple weeks ago it was still fun being at the rink. Guys were still energized and excited about the challenge of getting out of the funk we were in. He’s (Krueger) got a great handle on the pulse and vibe of the team, the heartbeat of the team. The way he’s able to kind of manipulate that into where he wants us to go or where he wants us to be on any given day is pretty outstanding to see.Obviously, guys are doing our best to buy in with what he’s trying to preach to us. Ultimately, we’re having a lot of fun doing it. That’s been a very important change he’s brought into our organization.”

He's on a pace for 61 pts. His career high is 65. It won't take much of a bump in a production to get there and beyond. He's historically been a 2nd half player. He's not having a bad season.

Reactions: Tatanka

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
But you just judged his second-half-playerness. Wins count just as much in the first half of the season.
So I can't wait until the end of the season to decide? I have to decide now?

Isn't the value of an NHL contract decided by the whole season and not parts?

He is on track to tie his career high in goals and close to points.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sam Reinhart Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Reinhart is just off of last seasons 0.79 pts/gp pace at 0.74.

He's still a positive possession player.

And his oZS% is slightly lower than last season.

Honestly, I think the biggest concern for me with how Sam is playing is the concern for the whole team with regards to the PP struggles.

It would be great to be getting more from Sam. But, I don't believe that he is playing that badly, either.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It's kind of weird how every coach does the same thing, regardless of how well or not it is working. It makes me think that Sam himself must be opposed to playing center.
No, I didn't mean in the center, on RW in second line with Skinner.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
So I can't wait until the end of the season to decide? I have to decide now?

Isn't the value of an NHL contract decided by the whole season and not parts?

He is on track to tie his career high in goals and close to points.
No one said you can't revise your judgment as the season progresses. It sounded like you were implying he can't be judged right now because of what might happen in the future. But if you were only talking about his next contract, that makes more sense. It wasn't clear from your post, though.

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
Sam Reinhart Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Reinhart is just off of last seasons 0.79 pts/gp pace at 0.74.

He's still a positive possession player.

And his oZS% is slightly lower than last season.

Honestly, I think the biggest concern for me with how Sam is playing is the concern for the whole team with regards to the PP struggles.

It would be great to be getting more from Sam. But, I don't believe that he is playing that badly, either.
because he is the 2nd overall players would like to see him dipsy doodle.

Sam is a smart, responsible player, he is the best winger at getting Eichel the puck, he has to have some responsibility in Eichel's success.

He is a 20 goal 50 point player. He probably could reach 25-30 and 70-80 points and I think that is where the frustration lies...

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
No one said you can't revise your judgment as the season progresses. It sounded like you were implying he can't be judged right now because of what might happen in the future. But if you were only talking about his next contract, that makes more sense. It wasn't clear from your post, though.
I used the personal pronoun "I" meaning me.

Just my opinion, never jump to conclusions if you need to post using the word imply.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Hes having a bad season when you put into perspective what Eichel is doing and that is someone hes been playing with the entire season so far. Add in the bad/lazy plays and the fact a lot of his earlier points was him doing solo things. Not much to like about Reinhart's game atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad