Confirmed with Link: Sam Morin re-signed, 3yr x $700K

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
If Morin is healthy, look for Ron to move someone before the trade deadline for a late round pick.
There's always a team that got hit by a string of injuries that's looking for veteran depth on defense.
Yup or could just waive a forward or Folin. Not a major problem.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers current d depth:
Provy Ghost
Sanheim Gudas
Amac Myers
Hagg Folin

Safe to say Morin will be lucky to play 10 games this year.

Nor should he, when he comes back he'll be behind in terms of conditioning and timing.
The goal this year is just to get his feet wet, and prepared to come to TC in 2019 and win a job.
If we actually need him this year, it means Myers never put it together, Friedman is buried in the AHL, and we're going with MacDonald - Hagg all year.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Morin can only go for a conditioning stint in the AHL, then has to stay in the NHL or be subject to waivers. He will be claimed immediately.

If Morin is healthy enough this year, he's going to play in the NHL

Reactions: hatcher and renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, he may play a little, but odds are he'll be the 7th or 8th defenseman and Folin or Hagg will be moved to make room.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Well, he may play a little, but odds are he'll be the 7th or 8th defenseman and Folin or Hagg will be moved to make room.

I should've worded that differently, does he play? Maybe, but he's going to be on the NHL roster this year.

Also, I have to think if they are running bottom 3 of Mac/Folin/Hagg somewhere in some rotation, Morin, if declared healthy, will be inserted.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I feel really bad for Morin. By all reports he is very driven and his dream may be hanging on slimmest of chances due to all these injuries. In the meantime Amac heals like a freaking wolverine.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I feel really bad for Morin. By all reports he is very driven and his dream may be hanging on slimmest of chances due to all these injuries. In the meantime Amac heals like a freaking wolverine.

Considering he got the 3 year contract, I don't think it's a slim chance that he'll play. I think the contract shows that Flyers are wanting him to play when he's healthy for the team. Also, ACL tears can differ and his seems to be a bad one. Let him heal up, come back 100% and own the league in physicality, reach and PKing.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Considering he got the 3 year contract, I don't think it's a slim chance that he'll play. I think the contract shows that Flyers are wanting him to play when he's healthy for the team. Also, ACL tears can differ and his seems to be a bad one. Let him heal up, come back 100% and own the league in physicality, reach and PKing.
Once he finally get into a game he is going to murder someone just out of pure joy.

Reactions: Adtar02

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just get him on the ice and get some confidence in the knee, he won't be 100% until next season (yeah, you can come back in 9 months, but it takes about 18 months to be 100%), but playing a little in March will let him hit TC with all cylinders running.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Agreed. I still like Hagg, and I know I'm in the minority, but a lot of teams would like to have a rookie Dman come in and have such a decent first season.
You don't have to like him but you got to give him a chance to play. This is going to be his 2nd professional nhl season. He was not all that great and has to work on a lot of things... He still very young and has a decent chance to be solid #6.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Unfortunately, it will be another lost season for him.

At best he can utilize the Flyers' medical and rehab facilities to fully recover by End of January, go on a short conditioning stint with the Phantoms to test his knee and hope that the Flyers are either well out of the playoff picture or Hägg getting injured to take his place as 3 LD to get into a dozen of games.

More likely he needs to sit out until mid February, keeps doing repetitions with Folin during practice, gets to play the last couple of regular season games.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Unfortunately, it will be another lost season for him.

At best he can utilize the Flyers' medical and rehab facilities to fully recover by End of January, go on a short conditioning stint with the Phantoms to test his knee and hope that the Flyers are either well out of the playoff picture or Hägg getting injured to take his place as 3 LD to get into a dozen of games.

More likely he needs to sit out until mid February, keeps doing repetitions with Folin during practice, gets to play the last couple of regular season games.

Waiver rules are going to be tough for Hextall if he's deemed healthy. He can't just keep him around for fun, he'll have to be on the team if not on IR. Maybe at that point there are other IR players and he can be on the team just not play.

Or they can just lie about his health.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Unless he's actually needed, Ron can be fairly conservative and keep him on IR as long as possible, not just for roster reasons, but to avoid re-injury or related injuries that often occur when players rush back from injuries like an ACL. I don't think it would be that difficult to justify keeping him on IR for a few extra weeks and have an extended rehab period.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah I can't see Hextall rushing him. The fact that he extended him for 3 years, tells me Hextall sees a future in him.

Reactions: Adtar02

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well hopefully Hakstol and Hextall will gift him a spot on the team when he's back.

After all, it's not possible for a young player to earn a spot based on quality of play or outplaying the guys on the roster. That much is confirmed.

Reactions: freakydallas13

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Just get him on the ice and get some confidence in the knee, he won't be 100% until next season (yeah, you can come back in 9 months, but it takes about 18 months to be 100%), but playing a little in March will let him hit TC with all cylinders running.
I've been trying to say this in a few posts but people just seem to think he will be 100 percent the second he comes back . It don't work like that , one of the junior teams i scouted for , in the time i was there had two players that had ACL surgery . Recovery time was a bit different but both were not even close up to normal for quite a while after they returned .

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I've been trying to say this in a few posts but people just seem to think he will be 100 percent the second he comes back . It don't work like that , one of the junior teams i scouted for , in the time i was there had two players that had ACL surgery . Recovery time was a bit different but both were not even close up to normal for quite a while after they returned .

Working on my comeback from surgery they provided me clinical commentary describing on ice return to hockey after acl surgery.

It states that after ACL Repair only 55% of atheletes return to preinjury level of play. Second ACL Injury rates are 20-30%

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I have a feeling maybe a little wishful thinking that sam will be in in the lineup and on the pk come playoff time. Thats when we are going to need him and where he can excel.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Working on my comeback from surgery they provided me clinical commentary describing on ice return to hockey after acl surgery.

It states that after ACL Repair only 55% of atheletes return to preinjury level of play. Second ACL Injury rates are 20-30%

Depends how dated the data was, recovery rates have steadily improved the last couple decades.

Reactions: wasup

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

We had a young dman return from ACL surgery just a few years ago, so we should all know the drill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad