Confirmed with Link: Sam Morin re-signed, 3yr x $700K

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I've never seen a player emotionally embody "trust the process" more than Sam Morin. I wouldn't be surprised if the 76ers motto stole it from the rock-solid mentality this kid oozes.

Unfortunately his body is not cooperating.

Whether this deal is cheap because he's backed into a corner with his injury or because he really, really wants to be here, I think it's a huge win for the organization.

Can't help but root for a kid who seems to do everything right.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Can someone explain to me the waiver issue for Morin? Someone mentioned that if he plays in the AHL this year he has to clear waivers - how does this play out? Is there an injury exemption?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Nice deal. Hopefully he is able to stick on the roster and contribute at the minuscule cap hit.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Can someone explain to me the waiver issue for Morin? Someone mentioned that if he plays in the AHL this year he has to clear waivers - how does this play out? Is there an injury exemption?

I believe he can go down for a conditional stint after recovering from his injury, but he'll be on the roster.

Buddlee

Apr 15, 2018
Love this deal and look forward to him getting back, would be a huge help on the blue line
2sOCImb

2xUiyvG

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I love this deal. Unfortunately for Sam he likely doesn't have any other options and for the Flyers they have the ability to ride out another (cheap) contract .Hopefully he recovers and gets into the NHL in 2019. His biggest problem I think isn't necessarily his injuries or his play, it's the depth chart with a lot of quality players that simply passed him.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The term certainly shows confidence that he'll be able to recover and lock down a spot on the NHL roster.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin really isn't underpaid, he's getting paid for a non-season up front, then a 2nd season to make the NHL and prove he belongs. Really, only the third season is a potential underpay, and at that point he's negotiating his next deal or gone.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
hope he comes in and becomes a key piece on the defence. then makes them pay on his next contract for dicking him around.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
The term certainly shows confidence that he'll be able to recover and lock down a spot on the NHL roster.
How so? There's no risk at $700k. Even if he's so bad that he can't make it as a #7 D and clears waivers, his contract is low enough to be completely buried.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Love this deal and it'll give him a chance to shine before his next deal. His nastiness is something this team has been lacking on the back end for awhile.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
How so? There's no risk at $700k. Even if he's so bad that he can't make it as a #7 D and clears waivers, his contract is low enough to be completely buried.
I guess, but you usually don't sign guys for three years with just a hope that they'll stick around in the NHL for the length of the contract. It's still real money, after all.

I think Hextall views him as decent long term option in the bottom four and now he gets him cheap for a couple of years because of the injuries this year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The team isn't dumb enough to give up on a player like Morin, even if some fans are.

He's steadily improved every year since being drafted and would've been able to play in the NHL last year if it wasn't for the injuries. Nothing that's happened would even remotely suggest that he's a bust or that he couldn't have a future on this team. He didn't stagnate in the AHL, like Hagg did (in fact, Hagg went backwards and then only "improved" enough to undo his regression and get back to his mediocre stagnated level), so there's no reason to worry.

If your argument is that he's only played 3 NHL games so far, I'd recommend you find a new hobby to loosely follow and say ignorant things about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad