Confirmed with Link: Sam Morin re-signed, 3yr x $700K

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You do know they were paired together that year, righ? Gordon called them his twin towers. Does that mean they both played left side?

How often has Sanheim played RHD at the NHL level in two years?
If he was comfortable there, he would play there more often.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
How often has Sanheim played RHD at the NHL level in two years?
If he was comfortable there, he would play there more often.

What does that have to do with anything I posted or your rebuttal, which was incorrect?

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Hextall said that about playing three rookies, not Hakstol. Hextall is always wary about breaking in too many young players at the same time. And he didn't want one in the press box. If he wanted all three, he would have axed a veteran D-man.

Morin's style isn't that different from Hagg, he's faster in a straight line, but he has issues handling the puck and isn't going to be an offensive force in the NHL (he'll sit at the blue line like Gudas and fire away).

However, if you start with Morin and Sanheim, Ghost MUST play the right side and that limits flexibility or forces Hatkstol to bench a rookie if he's not comfortable there. Hagg gave you more flexibility to start the season as you sort out pairs.

Nor do I think Hextall viewed Morin as the slam dunk many fans assume he is.
If you mean isn’t any different than hagg as in just plainly better yup you are correct. The only thing hagg did was play the right poorly. Morin and sanhiem outplayed him at camp. And the year before and Morin the year before that. It was Hakstol decision. Not hextall. Hexy set the roster based off what hak wanted not the other way around. Then later heard that Morin had some things in stick handling to work on. Like keep head up. Which hagg still doesn’t do well.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Hextall said that about playing three rookies, not Hakstol. Hextall is always wary about breaking in too many young players at the same time. And he didn't want one in the press box. If he wanted all three, he would have axed a veteran D-man.

Morin's style isn't that different from Hagg, he's faster in a straight line, but he has issues handling the puck and isn't going to be an offensive force in the NHL (he'll sit at the blue line like Gudas and fire away).

However, if you start with Morin and Sanheim, Ghost MUST play the right side and that limits flexibility or forces Hatkstol to bench a rookie if he's not comfortable there. Hagg gave you more flexibility to start the season as you sort out pairs.

Nor do I think Hextall viewed Morin as the slam dunk many fans assume he is.

And thus the Hextall paradox that you are such a fan of.

Lets build a team exclusively through the draft with young players....but we cant have too many young players on our team at the same time.

Reactions: Ruck Over

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall makes the roster decisions, he may get input from Hakstol, but he's the boss.
And if he hires a new coach, he'll only hire one that defers to him, not a veteran coach who'll try to undercut him to the press and pressure him into trading for veterans to win now.

There's no paradox for Hextall, he sees young players coming in waves:

2015: Ghost, Cousins, Laughton
2016: Provorov, TK, Weal
2017: Patrick, Hagg, Sanheim, Lindblom, Leier
2018: ???, NAK, Vorobyev, Rubtsov, Lyon, Myers, Friedman, Twarynski, Kase are all possible at some point this season.
2019: Frost & ???

Last edited:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I think the issue is more along the lines of the Flyers valuing Hagg's game more than Morin's.

With Vorobyev, I think he had a training camp that forced himself on the team, but started to struggle a bit in the early portions of the season. I do not think the Flyers even had Vorobyev as an option of 3C prior to training camp. Last year he looked good in AHL, but I don't recall a lot of people clamoring for him to be called up other than Stizzle, but I might be mistaken about that. My feeling was always they wanted Weal to win the job (at least from Hexy).
This is exactly it.

Morin and Sanheim, to management, have riskier games. Sanheim lives in the Ozone and has a little more Dzone breakdowns, while Morin looks for the physical side and has a little more PIM. Hagg has a safer game. He had a softer and safe game before, according to Hextall. I would post the article if I could find it- from 2016 or 2017.

In regards to last year, I honestly thought the players who played best was Morin - Hagg/Sanheim. I thought Morin had the best camp (playing his style and game the best). Morin and Hagg are better than Manning, but Gudas is better than the best atm. I just think that the organization has treated Morin unfairly. He’s desvered a spot yet they won’t give it to him. They won’t this year too.

He was a good pick in the earlier 2nd rd. He was ranked at #24 according to a eliteprospects and futureconsideration for the 2013 draft. Probably the best pick 41-end of 2nd rd.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The Phantoms have one of the best développement team and coachs you can find in the Ahl. That is why they had so much succes in the past years.

tenor.gif

With Vorobyev, I think he had a training camp that forced himself on the team, but started to struggle a bit in the early portions of the season. I do not think the Flyers even had Vorobyev as an option of 3C prior to training camp. Last year he looked good in AHL, but I don't recall a lot of people clamoring for him to be called up other than Stizzle, but I might be mistaken about that. My feeling was always they wanted Weal to win the job (at least from Hexy).

It looked to me that they were going to give Vorobyev a fair look all along. Right away at practice he was put with legit roster players IIRC. The 1st preseason game was a skeleton crew at NYI. I don't recall who he skated with. He was definitely given real deal linemates every game after that. The next game was home vs NYI where he skated with JVR & Voracek. He was definitely in the plans.

Unfortunately, Hak gets so squeamish and will find an excuse to bail ASAP with a lot of young players. It wouldn't shock me if Hak wanted to go with Jori the whole time and was just appeasing Hextall early on. Similar to the Mandog & Sanheim situation from last year where Hextall was clearly hesitant in sending Travo down.

That's obviously total speculation on my part. But Hextall was the one who voiced his strong pro-Vorobyev stance last year. Hak is clearly not concerned in the least with developing players or cultivating a winning future. He loves him a "safe reliable, veteran presence" veteran. I just don't think, other than a blazing start, Hak was planning on going with Misha. That was likely his bosses idea only. If he truly believed in Misha he wouldn't have been so quick to cut him off at the knees.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hak didn't bail on Vorobyev, after the first two games, Vorobyev stunk out the joint.
It's not a freakin' morality play. Weal outplayed Vorobyev - your "older" veteran at 26.

Sometimes a player isn't ready, not everything is a freakin' conspiracy.

I'd point out that last year Lindblom needed two games to move up to the 2nd line, and played every game after that with Patrick - so much for preferring veteran presence.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Hak didn't bail on Vorobyev, after the first two games, Vorobyev stunk out the joint.
It's not a freakin' morality play. Weal outplayed Vorobyev - your "older" veteran at 26.

I'd point out that last year Lindblom needed two games to move up to the 2nd line, and played every game after that with Patrick - so much for preferring veteran presence.
You said he was last spring and all preseason. He didn’t stink.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Vorobyev: CF 38.46, CFrel -10.67, XGF 33.59, xGFrel -10.57, HDCF/CA 7/22

It's funny, I seem to recall the guy who played 3C last year, and even got bumped up to 1C in the playoffs, had some of the worst fancy stats in the entire league. His overall game score at 5v5 was a f***ing 8! An 8! That's almost impossible.

And that was over an entire season. Not just a rookies first few games.

Valtteri+Filppula+Anaheim+Ducks+v+Philadelphia+1k6QYuQyW5Il.jpg

Oh, I also remember last year there was a rookie center for the Flyers who got destroyed in fancy stats for the 1st 2+ months of the season. Hmmm, then what happened? Oh yeah, they kept playing him and he got bettttter. Because that's what happens with rookies.

You know who doesn't get better? 34 year old centers like Val. No matter how much you play him, he will still suck donkey testicles. He got f***ing slaughtered in fancy stats. Yet, your boy, still played him. All season. 81 regular season games. Then f***ing matched him vs Sid in the playoff lol. The only GM that was dumb enough to even give Val a deal this year is a 76 year old dementia patient.

Fire Dicklicker Hardon.

Last edited:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
This idea that Morin chases hits and his comrade doesn’t is news to me. You don’t LEAD THE MOTHER ****ING LEAGUE IN HITS and not chase hits.
If this was a response to my post above yours, I was talking about Haggs game right after he was drafted.

Still looking for the article, written by a beat writer, but it was Hextall saying something along the lines of “Haggs game completes a 2-way style... He likes to jump up in play, but plays too far off when the opposition comes... he’s very aggressive after the play and a little less during... when he comes to LHV he’s going to have to bring that aggression up during play, hit, and make his presence known”

Some bullshit like that.

He, now, chases hits, not really before, according to that article. Didn’t really follow Hagg until he came up a year ago. Didn’t really know who he was so I never saw any video. Can’t confirm if the article was right.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

So you can definitively judge a player based on 6 games, but you can't manage to judge the coach based on 270 games?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh, I also remember last year there was a rookie center for the Flyers who got destroyed in fancy stats for the 1st 2+ months of the season. Hmmm, then what happened? Oh yeah, they kept playing him and he got bettttter. Because that's what happens with rookies.

The rookie center was the #2 pick, coming off two surgeries in two years, and who got better as he got healthy and in game shape. And who couldn't be sent back to the CHL.

The rookie center who was just sent down was a 4th rd pick with no health issues.
Because sometimes rookies just aren't ready.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's funny, I seem to recall the guy who played 3C last year, and even got bumped up to 1C in the playoffs, had some of the worst fancy stats in the entire league. His overall game score at 5v5 was a ****ing 8! An 8! That's almost impossible.

And that was over an entire season. Not just a rookies first few games.

Valtteri+Filppula+Anaheim+Ducks+v+Philadelphia+1k6QYuQyW5Il.jpg

You know who doesn't get better? 34 year old centers like Val. No matter how much you play him, he will still suck donkey testicles. He got ****ing slaughtered in fancy stats. Yet, your boy, still played him. All season. 81 regular season games. Then ****ing matched him vs Sid in the playoff lol. The only GM that was dumb enough to even give Val a deal this year is a 76 year old dementia patient.

Fire Dicklicker Hardon.

giphy.gif

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
The rookie center was the #2 pick, coming off two surgeries in two years, and who got better as he got healthy and in game shape. And who couldn't be sent back to the CHL.

The rookie center who was just sent down was a 4th rd pick with no health issues.
Because sometimes rookies just aren't ready.
I can agree with the sentiment.

I don’t think Vorobyev fits a perimeter style team. His play in the preseason was good through swing entires, East-West (not board to board) playmaking, and below the red line cycle play. While that bill looks like a perimeter style play, it’s more reminiscent of a crash-type play style.... whether that be crash the net or forechecking. He may not be a good forechecker (good on boards), but he’s best utilized as a support forward.

There are few players on this team that can excel in this style (Giroux, Sanheim, Gudas, Ghost [practically all of our dmen], TK, and maybe Voracek.

JVR, Simmer, Couts, Patrick, Lindblom, Laughton, Raffl, and hell even Weise all play better in High Danger Situations. Provorov is good in HDO areas as well. Most of the players stated as perimeter style players are just playmakers. They can make passes in and around those areas.

We have one of the best PP1 over the past couple years. Most of their chances are HDO (Giroux passing to Voracek to Simmer or G to Couts and so on) while our PP2 struggles. PP2 plays a perimeter style diamond. Almost all of their passes and shots come from the top or are around the boards. To a PK team, you don’t need a wide box. Just shell the net and you can block or break up most opportunities.

I really hope Hextall/Hakstol/Lappy/Knob learned a lot from that ANH game. They were missing 3-4dmen and almost 2 lines worth of forwards who all start. We had to come back in the last 1:50 of regulation because of the shell. From that game, ANH and PHI play the exact game!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad