Confirmed with Link: Sam Morin re-signed, 3yr x $700K

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The team isn't dumb enough to give up on a player like Morin, even if some fans are.

He's steadily improved every year since being drafted and would've been able to play in the NHL last year if it wasn't for the injuries. Nothing that's happened would even remotely suggest that he's a bust or that he couldn't have a future on this team. He didn't stagnate in the AHL, like Hagg did (in fact, Hagg went backwards and then only "improved" enough to undo his regression and get back to his mediocre stagnated level), so there's no reason to worry.

If your argument is that he's only played 3 NHL games so far, I'd recommend you find a new hobby to loosely follow and say ignorant things about.

On the other hand he's never dominated at any level, while he has good straight line speed, not the most agile defenseman on the ice, and some problems with puck handling. A long-term project who should have been drafted in the 20s, not at #11.

Funny is some people who salivate over Morin hate Ginning at #50. Go figure.
Both are big defensemen whose upside is a bigger version of Gudas except that they're LHD.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
On the other hand he's never dominated at any level, while he has good straight line speed, not the most agile defenseman on the ice, and some problems with puck handling. A long-term project who should have been drafted in the 20s, not at #11.

Funny is some people who salivate over Morin hate Ginning at #50. Go figure.
Both are big defensemen whose upside is a bigger version of Gudas except that they're LHD.
Well I'm not expecting him to dominate the NHL either. I'm hoping for a bottom 4 defensemen who can PK and who is a perfect match to play safety-net with a flashier guy, like Myers or Ghost.

Reactions: mize370

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
People would be down on Morin if he played 70 games and one was one of the league's worst possession defenseman. I think Hagg can get better as he gets older, but his stats this year were at the very least concerning.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Probably because of Morin being so much better at Hockey.
He was better in AHL, it doesn't mean much. Hagg's spent a fine season for a rookie and we haven't seen Morin in NHL yet (except those 3 games). So you can't know who's gonna be better for us, unless you have a crystal ball. :sarcasm:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He was better in AHL, it doesn't mean much. Hagg's spent a fine season for a rookie and we haven't seen Morin in NHL yet (except those 3 games). So you can't know who's gonna be better for us, unless you have a crystal ball. :sarcasm:

Hagg was one of the worst regular defensemen in the NHL last season. I have higher expectations for Morin.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Well I'm not expecting him to dominate the NHL either. I'm hoping for a bottom 4 defensemen who can PK and who is a perfect match to play safety-net with a flashier guy, like Myers or Ghost.
Just want Big Sam to be like Brayden McNabb was for Vegas: huge, mobile, hammer anyone who dares to cross the blueline, move the puck, occasional point blast.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just want Big Sam to be like Brayden McNabb was for Vegas: huge, mobile, hammer anyone who dares to cross the blueline, move the puck, occasional point blast.
Basically. As long as expectations aren’t out of control, he’s still worth waiting for.

It’s just unfortunate that last year was wasted when it would have been great experience for him and surely a help to the team too. Especially if Hakstol used him instead of trash like Hagg or Manning (which isn’t too far fetched, since Morin does provide the same kind of things that Hak fetishizes).

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Basically. As long as expectations aren’t out of control, he’s still worth waiting for.

It’s just unfortunate that last year was wasted when it would have been great experience for him and surely a help to the team too. Especially if Hakstol used him instead of trash like Hagg or Manning (which isn’t too far fetched, since Morin does provide the same kind of things that Hak fetishizes).
Agreed. I still like Hagg, and I know I'm in the minority, but a lot of teams would like to have a rookie Dman come in and have such a decent first season.

Reactions: captainpaxil

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg, Morin, Ginning, we just need one to develop into a solid 3rd pair LHD who can also eat a bunch of PK minutes.
Morin has to get healthy, Hagg has to become more confident and decisive with the puck, Ginning has to grow up and improve his skill package.
But we're not going to ask any of them to carry the defense, just fill a role competently.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agreed. I still like Hagg, and I know I'm in the minority, but a lot of teams would like to have a rookie Dman come in and have such a decent first season.

The thing is, it wasnt decent. It was quite bad. The hit totals and constant fluffing by the broadcast team must have blinded you.

Reactions: Striiker

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

If he’s ready in January that shouldn’t be an issue. Morin can be taken off IR and added to the active roster at any time. They would need just need to be able to carry 8 D, 13 F and 2 G.

That’s also assuming all other dmen are healthy when Morin is ready.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If he’s ready in January that shouldn’t be an issue. Morin can be taken off IR and added to the active roster at any time. They would need just need to be able to carry 8 D, 13 F and 2 G.

Has Hextall ever went 8/13/2 before?

Thought he was not a fan of that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think they carried 8 dmen in 15-16 until they traded Schenn in January. Teams often carry an extra dman if they don’t have anyone they can waive safely.

Dumbass Dave tweeted that The Flyers expect Morin to have a lost season, apart from “time with the Phantoms in the last couple of months.” Someone pointed out that apart from a conditioning stint he can’t play in the AHL without going thru waivers. Dave did not reply.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Flyers current d depth:
Provy Ghost
Sanheim Gudas
Amac Myers
Hagg Folin

Safe to say Morin will be lucky to play 10 games this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Morin is healthy, look for Ron to move someone before the trade deadline for a late round pick.
There's always a team that got hit by a string of injuries that's looking for veteran depth on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad