Sam Bradford has requested a trade

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
True, but he should worry about what he can control before getting that far ahead of himself.

Right, I think that was the plan before the Eagles traded up. I would have been pissed too. But then he realized how average (at best) he is and how no one else wants him (at least for what the Eagles were asking), so he decided to play ball.

Really, this is a whole lot of nothing and it's May and we're starving for non-draft things to talk about.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bradford saw an opportunity to get to the Broncos so he went for it. The trade didn't happen for whatever reason and they spent a 1st round pick on a QB so now it's all good and he's back. It'll be funny if he ends up losing his starting job out of training camp now.

It very well could have but the Eagles got greedy.

If he wanted to be a long-term solution then he probably should have looked for a deal longer than 2 years.

Thing is, he wasn't getting that from the Eagles or likely anyone else. He really hasn't proved much, and there's still risks associated with his knee. Lurie never viewed him as the teams long-term answer at QB.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
True, but he should worry about what he can control before getting that far ahead of himself.

exactly.

I'm trying to think of a situation around the league where there is just no QB and a job would be literally handed to Sam Bradford. I guess the Jets, but I can guarantee even they would probably try to bring Fitz back to compete with him. If he'd come to the Broncos he would have competed with Sanchez, and the Browns with RG III.

Instead of clamoring for some #1 job set in stone with comfort, he needs to put on his big boy pants and show people he can produce.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
exactly.

I'm trying to think of a situation around the league where there is just no QB and a job would be literally handed to Sam Bradford. I guess the Jets, but I can guarantee even they would probably try to bring Fitz back to compete with him. If he'd come to the Broncos he would have competed with Sanchez, and the Browns with RG III.

Instead of clamoring for some #1 job set in stone with comfort, he needs to put on his big boy pants and show people he can produce.

I agree, but the Eagles have to go with Wentz sooner or later given their investment. No matter how well Bradford does, he can't win that job long term. Could be Week 1, Week 8, or next season, but Wentz is the Eagles starter guaranteed at some point.

Whereas with the Broncos/Jets/Browns if he won the job it'd be his job for as long as he deserves it.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ Yup. I'm sure it's not that he doesn't want to compete at all, just not compete with a clear guy of the future where it is inevitable that he'll take over eventually. That's a no win situation for him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
^ Yup. I'm sure it's not that he doesn't want to compete at all, just not compete with a clear guy of the future where it is inevitable that he'll take over eventually. That's a no win situation for him.

Everyone knew from the start he wasn't their long term answer. He was Chip's guy he brought in and Roseman kept him there for lack of any better options. The two-year deal was A) Because he hadn't proven himself and B) he was just a stop-gap until they found their next McNabb.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
He's really never put together a season though for anyone to say "wow this is our guy for the next 10 years"

I think the QB situation around the league is getting tight. Outside of about 2-3 teams right now, everyone's somewhat set at the QB position for the foreseeable future.

Opportunities could come up in Arizona and New Orleans. But NO is on the downtrend and probably will be in the top 10 next year to draft a guy. Arizona is probably headed for a blow-up of its roster in 2-3 years (they're going to be great this year but Palmer and Fitz window is closing).

We have a super young stable of QB's right now in the NFL. I think it's evidenced by the draft, where a lot of teams sitting in the top slots are trading back. I also think scouting of the QB position is getting a little bit better - you don't see the monumental busts like in the past. At worst a lot of the recent high pick QB's are at least marginal starters in the league or bridge QBs. That's made competition much more fierce.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I agree, but the Eagles have to go with Wentz sooner or later given their investment. No matter how well Bradford does, he can't win that job long term. Could be Week 1, Week 8, or next season, but Wentz is the Eagles starter guaranteed at some point.

Not true at all. If Bradford played lights out and strung together some wins, he would keep the #1 job, period. He's still young enough to stay with his team (whomever that may end up being)

Brady got his shot when Bledsoe was injured, and he never looked back.

If Bradford excels, Wentz would get traded in a few years. Now, back in reality, what are the odds of that happening? :laugh:

Good QBs can play well on bad teams, but Bradford just isn't very good. (does... this really need to be mentioned?)

I forgot that Bradford was the #1 pick. Looking forward to ESPN's 30 for 30 (in several years) highlighting the 2010 QB class... :laugh:

25 - 37 over 5 years? just more mumbo jumbo - Bradford is a FINE #1 I tell you!

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Brady turned 24 the year he became the starter though. Bradford will soon be 29. Five years is an eternity in the NFL.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Plus Bradford's body has betrayed him since college. He had a much stronger arm until he was wrecked against the Big 12 Boogyman BYU.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
"Similar stats". Lists two stats over one year. BRB let me go compare Tom Brady to Ryan Tannehill based on total attempts and longest throw.

That said, the massive difference in salary obviously isn't enough to make up for the slight difference in quality.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
"I listened to Sam Bradford again. I just almost threw up," Bennett told ESPN Radio in Seattle. "I can't believe Sam Bradford is complaining about making $40 million in the next two years, and because he actually has to compete for a position. This guy, this guy right here definitely sets a bad tone of what a player should be.

"If I was his teammate ... how can you play with a guy that doesn't want to compete at a high level and feels like his position should be solidified without even putting up the stats or the wins to back that up?"

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...m-bradford-philadelpha-eagles-threw-up-051716

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
And this is how **** gets started that doesn't need to be and gets repeated as fact when it isn't. When did Bradford complain about "making $40 million"?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
and because he actually has to compete for a position

This "he doesn't want to compete for the position" is the biggest load of crap going.

Fact: there is no competition, none, zero, nada, zilch, for the Eagles starting QB job. Not now, not in the foreseeable future. This year, the job is Bradford's. No competition. Wentz will not be close to ready. Daniel is a career backup at best. No competition. Job is Bradford's with no questions asked.

Fact: After this season, the Eagles WILL try to trade Bradford. If they can't they might just cut him. This is assuming that they think Wentz will be ready to start next year. If Wentz doesn't look like he'll be ready then they'll bring Bradford back for one more year and he plays out his contract. Although even then if they can get decent value for him they might trade him anyway and have Chase Daniel play Doug Pederson to Carson Wentz's Donovan McNabb. Keep the seat warm until the kid is ready.

There will be no actual competition for the Eagles starting QB job until such time (if ever) that Wentz proves he is not good enough. By the time that happens, if it happens, Bradford will be long gone from Philly. There is no way that Bradford can win the job, long term. None. The job will be given to Wentz sooner or later, and it will be his to lose.

This is what Bradford said in his PC when he got back:

"I think if I continue to play at a high level each week on the field, if we continue to win games … I think I will be the starting quarterback and I will be out there," Bradford said Tuesday in his first public comments since his return. "With that being said, I’m not completely naive. I think you realize if the organization made the move to get to number 2, at some point, it’s probably not going to be my team.”

He understands the situation perfectly.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
and because he actually has to compete for a position

Just because you bold and underline something doesn't mean it has anything to do with the supposed quote or is even at all true.

You literally just witnessed a game of telephone and the problem with "reports" personified.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
So if he wasn't at all concerned about competing, he thought Osweiller was going to sign with the Broncos and took an early extension and regretted it once the Denver job was open and stayed open once a deal for Kaep fell through.

After all that signer's remorse, he picks the minute Philly trades up and after Sanchez has engratiated himself thoroughly and Paxton was obviously in Elway's crosshairs to jump ship and try to force a trade and leave the Eagles on the hook for $14 million of his salary.

That sounds worse than being upset at drafting Wence.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Fact: there is no competition, none, zero, nada, zilch, for the Eagles starting QB job. Not now, not in the foreseeable future. This year, the job is Bradford's. No competition. Wentz will not be close to ready. Daniel is a career backup at best. No competition. Job is Bradford's with no questions asked.

Fact: After this season, the Eagles WILL try to trade Bradford. If they can't they might just cut him. This is assuming that they think Wentz will be ready to start next year. If Wentz doesn't look like he'll be ready then they'll bring Bradford back for one more year and he plays out his contract. Although even then if they can get decent value for him they might trade him anyway and have Chase Daniel play Doug Pederson to Carson Wentz's Donovan McNabb. Keep the seat warm until the kid is ready.

There will be no actual competition for the Eagles starting QB job until such time (if ever) that Wentz proves he is not good enough. By the time that happens, if it happens, Bradford will be long gone from Philly. There is no way that Bradford can win the job, long term. None. The job will be given to Wentz sooner or later, and it will be his to lose.

This is what Bradford said in his PC when he got back:

"I think if I continue to play at a high level each week on the field, if we continue to win games … I think I will be the starting quarterback and I will be out there," Bradford said Tuesday in his first public comments since his return. "With that being said, I’m not completely naive. I think you realize if the organization made the move to get to number 2, at some point, it’s probably not going to be my team.”

He understands the situation perfectly.

You contradict yourself with your own points and Bradford's quote. Not quite sure what you're trying to say.

Bradford requested the trade because the kid is going to take his job, and he doesn't want to have to compete or be a backup. He's running from the situation.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
You contradict yourself with your own points and Bradford's quote. Not quite sure what you're trying to say.

Bradford requested the trade because the kid is going to take his job, and he doesn't want to have to compete or be a backup. He's running from the situation.

Not sure what you think my "points" are. I have only one point here. Which is that there is no actual competition for the Eagles starting QB job. This year, it's Bradford's. Next year, in all likelihood, Bradford will be traded and the job will be given to Wentz. Anyone who doesn't understand that is extremely naive. Bradford's statement shows that he does understand it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If it's bad form to ask for a renegotiation or demand a trade too early in a new contract, like Kam Chancellor two years into a new four year deal, how bad is it that Bradford asked for a trade in the SAME off season he signed a contract?

Seriously, good luck dealing with Philly fans this year!

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Bradford also signed his deal before the Eagles gambled the future on Wentz. I highly doubt they shared the draft plan with him.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Might not have been their plan. LA made the trade for the #1 which might have set off the idea in their management.

It also made it so that the #1 overall was a QB, whereas before most of the top teams certainly weren't taking one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad