Speculation: Sam Bennett Trade Talk

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
If he plays the opposite of his instinct, he can be Ferland. I dunno if that's the best way to approach it for him though.

Bennett is an agent of chaos. He thrives in possession styled scrambles. He's not as good in slowed down chess matches IMO. Hartley hockey is where he'd shine constantly as his instinct in scrambles is far higher than the average player. I think Travis Green and Gallant also enjoy deploying scrambles. Hall I think is a similar type of guy. JG and Mony know how to play scramble styled games. If they embrace that, Bennett will flourish. Otherwise, he might languish on that line trying to be a checker piece on a chess board.

That is probably the perfect analogical name for Benny:
Agent of Chaos!
Describes his play (when he is into the game and noticeable out there) appropriately.

Reactions: Fig

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Bennett? He has speed, good hands, can power through guys, and has played a two-way game but lacks elite passing and the finish after getting through all of those moves. If he can either; do those same power moves and find an open guy (again throwing back to his game against Colorado going between the legs to find Andersson on the PP)

Since you mention the Colorado series, I'd like to remind you that in that series, the only goal Gaudreau and Monahan were involved in was this one:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Since you mention the Colorado series, I'd like to remind you that in that series, the only goal Gaudreau and Monahan were involved in was this one:

You're selling them short, there was that one play where Bennett(?) shot it, it got blocked but went forward to Gaudreau, Gaudreau shot it and it got blocked but went to monahan, and Monahan scored off of shooting a shot that was very close to getting deflected away by another stick.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You're selling them short, there was that one play where Bennett(?) shot it, it got blocked but went forward to Gaudreau, Gaudreau shot it and it got blocked but went to monahan, and Monahan scored off of shooting a shot that was very close to getting deflected away by another stick.

Ah, you're correct

Funny thing is, Bennett barely even played with those two in that series. He was mostly playing with Jankowski and Neal.

But both their actual goals had Bennett involved.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Ah, you're correct

Funny thing is, Bennett barely even played with those two in that series. He was mostly playing with Jankowski and Neal.

But both their actual goals had Bennett involved.

It's almost like giving Bennett actual linemates is a big part in getting a player to be successful and find a reason to "get up" for games :sarcasm:

Seems like the kind of thing a coach should pick up on during the very end of the season, that in a do-or-die series your top line is neutered outside of that guy being there. And that's completely ignoring that Bennett - Jankowski - Neal was useless for the entire season and should've been adjusted well before the post season.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It's almost like giving Bennett actual linemates is a big part in getting a player to be successful and find a reason to "get up" for games :sarcasm:

Seems like the kind of thing a coach should pick up on during the very end of the season, that in a do-or-die series your top line is neutered outside of that guy being there. And that's completely ignoring that Bennett - Jankowski - Neal was useless for the entire season and should've been adjusted well before the post season.

Peters got outcoached hard in that series too. I don't know why people act like he was a good coach.

The only good coach we've had since 2006 was Bob Hartley, and even then his system was "throw the puck up the ice, and pray"

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Peters got outcoached hard in that series too. I don't know why people act like he was a good coach.

The only good coach we've had since 2006 was Bob Hartley, and even then his system was "throw the puck up the ice, and pray"
Peters got insanely lucky people were able to look past his mediocre start and finish to the year because the team got motivated by being absolutely embarassed on home ice, and that Lindholm was a 2nd triggerman to Gaudreau deciding to carry the team for a couple months.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If we make the playoffs Johnny and Mony are going to need Bennett. As the checking gets tighter and matchups tougher a guy like Bennett is what will help get those two over that playoff “hump”.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Yep. Peters got carried by Gaudreau's Hart worthy first 3/4 of the season.

I agree Hartley has been best coach since I've been closely following, and even then he really wasn't a great systems guy, but he knew how to get the most out of his players.

If he weren't so obsessed with playing Hiller because they both spoke French the flames make the playoffs in 15-16. Also not losing Ramo to injury would have helped. But Ramo and Ortio should have been the two guys all year, they would have been good enough to challenge for a playoff spot.

It's notable that none of the Flames prior coaches since then are head coaches in the NHL, and that trend is likely to continue with Ward.

In fact, Darryl Sutter is the last Flames head coach that went on to coach another NHL team after his tenure with the Flames was over. In the 15 years since, 7 other coaches have taken the reins, and none of them have continued on as an NHL head coach.

Should tell you something about the perceived quality of the coaches this franchise has brought in.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I feel like Bennett is definitely going to be a guy Burke is going to try getting into Pittsburgh.
Do you think we could get Jake Guentzel for him? Oh well...wishful thinking. Maybe need Crosby with him so Flames offer Money & Johnny Hockey and 3x 1st round picks plus Benny. We could be 2 parts Flaming Penguins now, and mightvwin more games??

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I noticed last night that Johnny played a bit of RW with Benny on the left side. That configuration looked pretty good.
Is it just my fractured, frozen memory?? Or did Johnny play RW mostly what 3 years ago? When he put up 99 points. Maybe Ward should line him up from the right side, regularly?

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Is it just my fractured, frozen memory?? Or did Johnny play RW mostly what 3 years ago? When he put up 99 points. Maybe Ward should line him up from the right side, regularly?

Lindy played RW that line, Johnny played RW on team USA at the WJC in 2013 I think.

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
Yep. Peters got carried by Gaudreau's Hart worthy first 3/4 of the season.

I agree Hartley has been best coach since I've been closely following, and even then he really wasn't a great systems guy, but he knew how to get the most out of his players.

If he weren't so obsessed with playing Hiller because they both spoke French the flames make the playoffs in 15-16. Also not losing Ramo to injury would have helped. But Ramo and Ortio should have been the two guys all year, they would have been good enough to challenge for a playoff spot.

It's notable that none of the Flames prior coaches since then are head coaches in the NHL, and that trend is likely to continue with Ward.

In fact, Darryl Sutter is the last Flames head coach that went on to coach another NHL team after his tenure with the Flames was over. In the 15 years since, 7 other coaches have taken the reins, and none of them have continued on as an NHL head coach.

Should tell you something about the perceived quality of the coaches this franchise has brought in.

And with Daryl Sutter, this all began to cave in as he went to fire his brother Brent for mishandling a good enough roster. Unfortunately, KK a newspaper publisher, was there to put his 2 cents in and stamp on the team with his underling Jay Feaster and the continued direction of Brent Sutter - both of which haven't appeared again in any meaningful way since.

Daryl's only mistakes were replacing himself as coach (numerous times) and the results never matched his expectation nor the atmosphere he was able to instill himself as a coach.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
And with Daryl Sutter, this all began to cave in as he went to fire his brother Brent for mishandling a good enough roster. Unfortunately, KK a newspaper publisher, was there to put his 2 cents in and stamp on the team with his underling Jay Feaster and the continued direction of Brent Sutter - both of which haven't appeared again in any meaningful way since.

Daryl's only mistakes were replacing himself as coach (numerous times) and the results never matched his expectation nor the atmosphere he was able to instill himself as a coach.

Pretty hard to say Sutter only made 2 mistakes as GM. As a coach dude was great as a GM he was a bad.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Yeah its a pretty poor track record. Pretty incredible that none of the 7 coaches since Sutter have continued on as an NHL head coach. I went through every team, and only the infamously mismanaged Ottawa Senators have gone through more coaches who never coached again (9). The last coach to get a job after their time with the Sens was Jacques Martin in 2003-04.

That number is 2-5 for almost every other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad