Speculation: Sam Bennett Trade Talk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Didn't Hayes play the RW?
Hmmm. You got me there. Forgot about him. I know Johnny did play some RW during his collegiate days. Maybe before Hayes was his line mate? At any rate, he didn't look bad on his offside the few times he switched with Benny last game.

WMBronco

Feb 12, 2021
Sault Sainte Marie
Do you think we could get Jake Guentzel for him? Oh well...wishful thinking. Maybe need Crosby with him so Flames offer Money & Johnny Hockey and 3x 1st round picks plus Benny. We could be 2 parts Flaming Penguins now, and mightvwin more games??

That would be amazing. We're not getting anything close to Guentz for Benny though. I have a feeling, if we move him, it'll be for a third and a bot 6. I'd much prefer keeping Benny.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

More context might or might not make this quote have a different meaning? But that's definitely one way to answer the question I guess.

That's a pretty arrogant / controlling way to answer the question. Wouldn't make me feel good as a player working for a GM like that. Sounds like Treliving enjoys having people under his thumb - not a good trait IMO.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

More context might or might not make this quote have a different meaning? But that's definitely one way to answer the question I guess.

Treliving forgets, the players get to decide his scenery too. Maybe sooner than he thinks. What a fool

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
That's a pretty arrogant / controlling way to answer the question. Wouldn't make me feel good as a player working for a GM like that. Sounds like Treliving enjoys having people under his thumb - not a good trait IMO.
I guess it can be taken that way...i sort of read it as someone trying to seize control of the narrative in order to mitigate the devaluing that occurs when players ask for a change in scenery. Sort of like Sakic did when dealing with Duchene

Reactions: Mazatt and User1996

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Treliving forgets, the players get to decide his scenery too. Maybe sooner than he thinks. What a fool
For sure..as early as this offseason unless the Flames qualify him in which case there is a chance Seattle takes him or the Flames have him for another season at 2.5 M

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

you know the more I read this. makes me wonder how many change in scenery requests he has had this season. You know Kylington has asked as there is no way he is happy except he gets paid $700 K to sit in the stands. Are there others and he is using this quote to tell them to keep it quiet????

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Treliving needs to go. He’s not a good GM. Never has been. I think we’ve been so attached to him because he’s decent and we had miserable GMs for years. But the fact of the matter remains about 1/2 of the talent on this team wasn’t drafted or acquired by Treliving. That’s not a good sign. We also have completely missed time and time again on the periphery. Byron, Kulak, Grossman, I could go on but I’m too lazy to look up depth moves.

like a move no one talks about is Reider. We got rid of Reider to sign Leivo, Simon and Nordstrom? Terrible.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I listened to the interview. It was 25 minutes and frankly he was kinda a jerk to Pat who is nothing but professional and has called this team mediocre in the past. Which it is.

He sounded like a man walking the green mile.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That quotation looked like the ramblings of a sociopath.

Someone who isn't unhinged would say that they'd look to work for a solution that would work for both the team and player

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I listened to the interview. It was 25 minutes and frankly he was kinda a jerk to Pat who is nothing but professional and has called this team mediocre in the past. Which it is.

He sounded like a man walking the green mile.
I think it was a lot less aggressive listening to the interview than reading the quote to be honest

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

If that comes off the way I think it does, no wonder the players don’t give af about playing hard. Sounds like a piece of shit, and I certainly wouldn’t be giving my all for someone like that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I read it as a clear shot at the agent, not Sam. The way that the situation was purportedly approached by the agent was about as unprofessional as is possible, so I understand the sentiment from Treliving.

If the agent tries to apply pressure to the organization by running to the media without having the stones to actually talk to the team first, you need to send a message that those tactics won't work. Otherwise why wouldn't the agent just continue with the tactic?

Reactions: Mazatt and User1996

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I read it as a clear shot at the agent, not Sam. The way that the situation was purportedly approached by the agent was about as unprofessional as is possible, so I understand the sentiment from Treliving.

If the agent tries to apply pressure to the organization by running to the media without having the stones to actually talk to the team first, you need to send a message that those tactics won't work. Otherwise why wouldn't the agent just continue with the tactic?

Purely speculative on my part but I can imagine Bennett asked for a trade in the off-season, then when one didn’t come he gave his agent the okay to talk to the media once the season was underway.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad