Speculation: Sam Bennett Trade Talk

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Do you guys remember this article by former Red Wings Great Igor Larionov?

The Beautiful Game | By Igor Larionov

I was watching Bennett's rookie season highlights:

And it is so freakin' sad how much skill and creativity has been actively coached out of this beauty of an ice hockey player by the last three coaches and their mismanagement of him

f*** Gulutzan

f*** Peters

f*** Ward

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'll bet anyone Ward has Bennett penned on the 4th line next game

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Gaudreau really enjoys playing with Bennett. Can't believe it's taken this long for him to get a look with him on a line for more than 2 games
it hasn't been 2 games yet. You can't count the 3-2 loss to the Jets as Bennett didn't play consistently with them in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Well that would be just stupid.

...oh
Really depends on whether or not he succeeds. Honestly, the most value he holds right now, is the question as to if he can be a top 6 player. If he fails with Johnny and Monahan, then that question is gone.

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
Leave Benny with Sean and Johnny. He’s exactly what that line needs.

put him on PP2 instead of Lucic. Appease the man. It worked for Germany, right?

At this point, unless you go back to putting all your eggs in one basket, putting Lindholm back with Johnny and Money, there is no better option (by a fair bit) than Bennett. The new guys have been underwhelming and you need Eatbread and Dube to fill help fill out a full 3 lines of attack.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I’ll give more than 1 game to the gaudreau-monahan-Bennett line before I make a judgment. Last time we tried it in 2017-18 it didn’t last, so we’ll see.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Despite scoring, Bennett and that line didn't look particularly good. Giving it more runway to avoid the "He didn't get enough time" argument would be a good way to handle things.

Reactions: super6646

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tuch + Martinez for Hanifin + Bennett

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tuch
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Lucic-Backlund-Mangi

Gio-Andersson
Valimaki-Tanev
Martinez-Nesterov

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Tuch + Martinez for Hanifin + Bennett

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tuch
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Lucic-Backlund-Mangi

Gio-Andersson
Valimaki-Tanev
Martinez-Nesterov

Martinez is 33 and upcoming UFA

So basically Hanifin and Bennett for Tuch....not good

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Martinez is 33 and upcoming UFA

So basically Hanifin and Bennett for Tuch....not good
Expect that its an expansion draft and Bennett has requested a trade. If we don't grant his request, we won't be able to protect him anyways, so essentially he's a UFA, that we have no chance of retaining. Martinez buys Valimaki another year of development and its hard to imagine a bet fit than Tuch

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Despite scoring, Bennett and that line didn't look particularly good. Giving it more runway to avoid the "He didn't get enough time" argument would be a good way to handle things.
I found the line looked ok except for a couple of times where Bennett and Gaudreau seemed to get crossed up but those both resulted in decent shots/scoring opportunities. I really think they need to give it a few games what do they have to lose. They have given Leivo, Simon, and others a few games and none of them clicked.
If Bennett can contribute to that line, and the Tkachuk/Lindholm/Dube line and the Lucic/Backlund/Mangiapane line continue to play well we have 3 solid lines and when Ryan gets back the 4th will be more reliable.
This requires a discussion and buy in from Bennett that his trade request has to be tabled for a little bit so he can help build up his value. It also requires Ward to buy in and commit to not scrambling the lines at the first sign of trouble.
I would say give Bennett some power play time as well but that would require Ward to realize he has the 2021 Lucic not the 2011 Lucic

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Expect that its an expansion draft and Bennett has requested a trade. If we don't grant his request, we won't be able to protect him anyways, so essentially he's a UFA, that we have no chance of retaining. Martinez buys Valimaki another year of development and its hard to imagine a bet fit than Tuch

Who will replace Hanifin or Martinez next year?

We are going to lose a decent player to Seattle anyway. If nothing can be done, I am ok with losing Bennett to them...save a spot for other players.

Tuch is alright, not great.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
In other words we trade Hanifin so we don't lose Bennett in expansion? Hanifin would be one of the guys we protect on defense and is looking like the 5 OA guy the Flames traded for. Valimaki's development is on the path of replacing Giordano sooner than later, making the rest of the d-core older would force him into top pairing time sooner than necessary because Martinez is 33 and a UFA, and Giordano is on the decline. Hanifin IS the stop-gap you'd want Martinez to be and is also a potential 1st pairing guy. Getting Tuch would rock but doing so with other assets would be a much better look for the team long-term

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

We are going to lose a decent player to Seattle anyway. If nothing can be done, I am ok with losing Bennett to them...save a spot for other players.

It'd be pretty hard to imagine a potentially attainable better fit, with either of the top 2 lines, than Tuch. With an open protection spot on the defense, there's a number of potential options for LD, beyond this year. I mean, Dunn perhaps. The Blues are rumored to be looking for a 1st for him but prices could drop, as we get closer to the draft.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Tuch is the dream player to add to this team. A 24 year old 6’4 222 pound right shot wing who has 8 points in 9 games and paced for 60 two seasons ago. He is everything we need.

The problem is losing after losing Hanifin and Bennett, then Backlund to expansion because Tuch takes the last expansion slot, our team defense will be in shambles. Also now our best options for our 3C and 4C are in order:
1) Hoping Dube can figure it out quick
2)Re-signing Ryan
3)Play Zary/Gawdin?

Reactions: Mazatt

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Would love Tuch but Hanifin isn’t going anywhere. He’s playing like a #2 right now with room to grow. I think you could Tuch for Bennett and another addition. Vegas needs cap space, that would be a great deadline deal.

Who would broker the deal? I think Flames have like $400K in cap space right now. IDK how much we are helping VGK out with cap space wise.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Any trade with Hanifin is stupid. Guy will be a top pair D for the next decade plus.
I don't think the Flames stance on Hanifin has changed a whole lot. Hes on pace for 22 points over 82 games. The defensive side of things look better but a large part of that is Tanev. Hes been rumored to be available, in the right trade, before and I don't think thats changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad