Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I miss Bennett.

I think if he has continued success in Florida it is because of a combination of things:

We tried to force him to be a winger, or when he was centre he would be between 2 plugs. Never really gave him a chance for any length with good players at centre.

I think he was tired of being one of the only ones to show effort in the playoffs and checked out. It must be frustrating to be giving it your all and watching your teammates skate around like it's a beer league game.

There was also alot of pressure to live up to his draft pick which he hasn't. In Florida there is way less pressure to perform.

And finally, between the Tkacuk incident and other rumors, there must be something seriously wrong in the Flames locked room. Bennett and Tkachuk were good friends so I'm guessing Bennett was fed up with some teammates as well who don't seem to care. Tkachuk has not been the same since the incident and it was shortly after that Bennett asked for a trade.

Yeah, he might have been fed up with some teammates who didn't care, and then coaches playing him on the 4th line with crap linemates probably didn't help. I hope Heineman works out for you guys, he was one of my favorite Panther prospects. He has a deceptively good wrister.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's been three games. FutureAllstar Noel Acciari once scored back-to-back hattricks (also while playing with Huberdeau). Can't fully judge him yet.

That said, man is he hot now, and what a start to his career with the Panthers.

Obviously I don't think he'll continue to score at a goal per game pace, or finish with well over a point per game. But I've always believed that, in the right situation, Bennett still has Kadri-esque potential (ie. a 20 goal, 40 point guy who plays physical).

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’ll say it again, getting the chance to play with Hubs is a dream for Bennett, as well as it did good for Hubs too, Wennberg was a shortterm option for 2C.

Also as Calgary fans have said Barkov eating the toughest matchups will help him also.

Zito needs to be the Gm of the year, he has really changed the dynamics of the team and has set then up well for future with getting rid of Matheson, to drafting elite C prospect to adding Bennett

Last edited:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Brought up too early to the NHL in my opinion. I don't think he was physically ready. Suffered a serious shoulder injury as an 18 year old. I hope he continues to play well.

Reactions: shello

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Holy cow, didnt realize he had 3 goals and 5 pts already. Good for Florida taking the risk, and good for the Flames getting a pretty decent return for the guy.

Wish more organizations would "let go" like that, even if its for a negligible return, rather than hanging on to a young player until their career is fully down the tubes.

I love it when scuffling young players do manage to get that new start and hit the ground running. It's just one of those things in sports that feels good: to see someone start putting it together and making good on a ton of promise.

I figured he was going to be a fantastic add for any team that got him. I really wish we had nabbed him but I doubt that was ever going to be an option

Yeah, he was always a name bandied about among Pens fans as a perfect "change of scenery" candidate who could be the right mix of skill and "long pants" hockey. Very jealous that Florida picked him up (although he wasnt cheap).

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You sound upset that your golden boy Monahan is proving to be completely useless without Gaudreau.

Meanwhile Gaudreau looks revitalized without the Monahan anchor.

It's too bad the flames never gave Bennett the same opportunities Monahan had. He'd still be a flame and they'd be in a playoff spot.

A) Never has Monahan been my "Golden Boy", I am just not a complete blind muppet and can see he has talent this season not withstanding.

B) Flames gave Bennett a chance on the top line and destroyed their corsi every single time keeping them in the d-zone

C) Flames aren't in a playoff spot because the team sucks, f***ING LOL if you think a 4th liner Bennett getting more ice-time would improve the Flames record, he really helped them when he was here with his dozen points.

D) Continue telling Flames fans and others how the Flames players are when your a Jersey fan.

Reactions: Nightrain

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
A) Never has Monahan been my "Golden Boy", I am just not a complete blind muppet and can see he has talent this season not withstanding.

B) Flames gave Bennett a chance on the top line and destroyed their corsi every single time keeping them in the d-zone

C) Flames aren't in a playoff spot because the team sucks, f***ING LOL if you think a 4th liner Bennett getting more ice-time would improve the Flames record, he really helped them when he was here with his dozen points.

D) Continue telling Flames fans and others how the Flames players are when your a Jersey fan.

When did Bennett get a chance to center the top line?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good on Sam for keeping the heater alive. Loved the dude, he just was done in Calgary.

Stay hot, get a nice contract!

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I’ll say it again, getting the chance to play with Hubs is a dream for Bennett, as well as it did good for Hubs too, Wennberg was a shortterm option for 2C.

Also as Calgary fans have said Barkov eating the toughest matchups will help him also.

Zito needs to be the Gm of the year, he has really changed the dynamics of the team and has set then up well for future with getting rid of Matheson, to drafting elite C prospect to adding Bennett

I feel Zito over Coach Q this year. Zitos first year. Eleven new players on the active roster from my last count.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
22:16 of icetime for Sam Bennett today, only Barkov played more among forwards at 23:58 in a huge divisional leaders head-to-head for the Panthers.

1 assist
15 CF, 3 CA @ 5v5
1GF, 0GA @ 5v5

Joel Quennville is the best coach in the NHL.

Sam Bennett has arrived.

How could anyone have seen this coming.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Its probably a hot streak.

Hopefully Bennett can be 40-50 point player.

Should have tried to get Andrew Mangiapane as well.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Played over 22 minutes again tonight. Crazy to think he’s still only 24 and this is his first real chance to play his natural position with skilled players. I hope he continues to run with it.

Bleacher Report in 2014: “At his top potential, Bennett is an All-Star, first-line center who can top out at 90-95 points. He could become a team captain down the road and a regular at the NHL Awards and All-Star Game. Bennett can score 30-35 goals a year with his hockey smarts and his habit of keeping his stick on the ice. His vision and playmaking skills mean he is capable of 50-60 assists as well. He should be one of those players who makes his linemates better.”

LWoS: “Quite simply Bennett has the potential to be a franchise forward. He can do it all at both ends of the ice and will bring everything that teams look for. Due to the need to pack on some muscle he might not be as NHL ready as my first two ranked players, but he will be worth the wait. His style, not potential, is similar to his general manager in Kingston, Hockey Hall of Famer, Doug Gilmour.”

I know I’m getting way ahead of myself, but I wonder if he can scratch what people thought his potential was back in 2014.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Played over 22 minutes again tonight. Crazy to think he’s still only 24 and this is his first real chance to play his natural position with skilled players. I hope he continues to run with it.

Bleacher Report in 2014: “At his top potential, Bennett is an All-Star, first-line center who can top out at 90-95 points. He could become a team captain down the road and a regular at the NHL Awards and All-Star Game. Bennett can score 30-35 goals a year with his hockey smarts and his habit of keeping his stick on the ice. His vision and playmaking skills mean he is capable of 50-60 assists as well. He should be one of those players who makes his linemates better.”

LWoS: “Quite simply Bennett has the potential to be a franchise forward. He can do it all at both ends of the ice and will bring everything that teams look for. Due to the need to pack on some muscle he might not be as NHL ready as my first two ranked players, but he will be worth the wait. His style, not potential, is similar to his general manager in Kingston, Hockey Hall of Famer, Doug Gilmour.”

I know I’m getting way ahead of myself, but I wonder if he can scratch what people thought his potential was back in 2014.

Right now he honestly looks like he can. But I'll temper my excitement. If he can bring consistency to his game and score around 50 pts a season, he'll still be a very impactful player.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad