Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
BEnnet seems very high on "have to play with very good to great players, to be a producing, positive player.

As someone stated before, I guess he just is not smart enough,

I don’t think it’s that he’s “not smart enough”, he’s just simply not a play driver. Not everyone has to be. Realistically, you should have 1 or 2 play drivers, preferably in the top 6. Bennett was relied too much in Calgary to get things going. And he would, but only during playoff time. During the regular season I think he was too desperate for someone else to get things going and then he’d follow suit. But, hard to do that with the quality of line mates he had. Or, he was committing too many penalties to garner any kind of responsibility. Either one of those things happened or both at the same time. In conclusion, 50% Calgary’s fault for the mismanagement of Bennett (coaches included), 50% Bennett himself. Hoping he continues to play well in Florida, because Huberdeau > Gaudreau/Tkachuk.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
A bit of both. Some years he got saddled with the worst of linemates (James Neal AND Jankowski??), but he also never made people better around him like Derek Ryan for example does. His peak play is real good, but for whatever reason he only brings that out in the playoffs. Maybe his hot streak is just an April thing (since that is usually playoffs)?

Dube and Neal both played/produced better with Bennett than they did with Ryan, though...

Ryan was the one bring made better by guys like Andrew Mangiapane or Sam Bennett.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He is showing resemblances to the highly-touted prospect he once was, but time will tell whether or not it's a hot streak or a needed change of scenery. Calgary wasn't always the best team when it came to developing prospects.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
He's always been a #1C talent in a shitty role. No, he's not Crosby or Matthews but he's right there in that ROR / Toews tier.

There was that time in the 2017 preseason against the Coyotes!!!

and then he starts the season on a line with Curtis Lazar
4/20 is today, not yesterday when you posted that.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He's getting a shot now in the top 6 and is the Cats #2 centre. Wouldn't surprise me if he stays as their #2 centre for many years. It will be interesting to see how Sam does in a top 6 role where he will be racking up the points.

FLA was stupid for trading Trochecks.

Reactions: Two4Fighting

Bond

May 10, 2012
Can we see him play a season before calling him Toews tier unless you mean this year where Toews isn't playing.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Dube and Neal both played/produced better with Bennett than they did with Ryan, though...

I don't remember Neal ever playing with Ryan. As for Dube, he broke out in the second half of last year with the Dube-Ryan-Lucic line, and then continued to look good in the playoffs with Bennett in place of Ryan. That was Dube's best, but we're also talking playoff Bennett

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I mean it's both, he was on top of the list of guys who needed a change of scenery. And now he's excited and playing with confidence.

It's all about consistency for Bennett. You don't know exactly what he is in Florida until next season. Hopefully it works out.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->