Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
At this point, that 2nd rounder is looking like an underpay

I mean, that was obvious. But it's okay. Despite being a Flames fan, I'm happy the player got his deserved change of scenery, even if the return was trash. As a fan of hockey, you hate to see good players get totally mismanaged. See also: Oliver Kylington

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Little of column A and a little of column B. Struggling in a franchise can just be absolute hell for a players confidence and development. His confidence was shot, which meant he couldn't put himself higher in the lineup. Change of scenery was required to kick start him back in the right direction

Also is probably on a hot streak. Guy could likely be a 50-60 point hard to play against player though at his peak. Calgary was never going to get that out of him though because I don't think he ever would have got there mentally staying, so it was still a good trade

Reactions: LokiDog

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
I mean, that was obvious. But it's okay. Despite being a Flames fan, I'm happy the player got his deserved change of scenery, even if the return was trash. As a fan of hockey, you hate to see good players get totally mismanaged. See also: Oliver Kylington

Honestly, when the trade happened, I thought a 2nd was too high. Boy was I wrong. Still early though, things could change.

Zito has absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt and more on any move his front office makes.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Nice to finally see Bennett get freed, per your hash tag

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Of all the players who have ever played in the the NHL, is Sam Bennett the one who most needed a change of scenery? Or is he just on a hot streak? I’ll go with hot streak.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
At this point, that 2nd rounder is looking like an underpay

Was basically two seconds, as the Flames got 2020 2nd round pick Emil Heineman.

That being said, if Bennett turns into a 70+ point player, clearly the Flames got a bad deal. That being said, I don't think Bennett was ever going to get there in Calgary. Although Bennett did look much better under Sutter during his last few games in Calgary.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He's going to be a good player but not anywhere near the level he's playing at now. Another struggling former top 5 pick in Nino Niederreiter went on an absolute tear after being traded but has since settled back down a bit.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's going to be a good player but not anywhere near the level he's playing at now. Another struggling former top 5 pick in Nino Niederreiter went on an absolute tear after being traded but has since settled back down a bit.
You mean he's not going to score 82 goals next year?

Reactions: Devonator

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

plenty of funny takes in here, but this one I agree with. He’s definitely on a hot streak and will likely settle in, but if he’s able to be a 50-60 point guy who holds the 2C until Lundell can come in (and play to potential) that would thrill me. The Panthers needed another guy who could bring the physical aspect, protect teammates, and drive to the net, he brings that That said, if he stays paired with Huby and keep his stick on the ice, good things can definitely keep happening.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
plenty of funny takes in here, but this one I agree with. He’s definitely on a hot streak and will likely settle in, but if he’s able to be a 50-60 point guy who holds the 2C until Lundell can come in (and play to potential) that would thrill me. The Panthers needed another guy who could bring the physical aspect, protect teammates, and drive to the net, he brings that That said, if he stays paired with Huby and keep his stick on the ice, good things can definitely keep happening.

Even a crash-bang-center who can score 35-45 points (.5 PPG) would be a huge win for Florida.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Honestly no one watches the Flames. Not even most Flames fans really watch the Flames. So this website just parrots nonsense spread by Oilers fans to form their opinion about these players.

Bemnett popping shouldn't be a surprise. Just makes all the trade offers of a 4th and a cap dump seem even more hilarious in retrospect

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Imagine that. Play a guy with talented players and he'll produce. It's almost like playing Bennett on the 4th line with whatever is left over after Monahan hogs all the talented wingers wasn't a recipe for success. Who would have figured?!

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I miss Bennett.

I think if he has continued success in Florida it is because of a combination of things:

We tried to force him to be a winger, or when he was centre he would be between 2 plugs. Never really gave him a chance for any length with good players at centre.

I think he was tired of being one of the only ones to show effort in the playoffs and checked out. It must be frustrating to be giving it your all and watching your teammates skate around like it's a beer league game.

There was also alot of pressure to live up to his draft pick which he hasn't. In Florida there is way less pressure to perform.

And finally, between the Tkacuk incident and other rumors, there must be something seriously wrong in the Flames locked room. Bennett and Tkachuk were good friends so I'm guessing Bennett was fed up with some teammates as well who don't seem to care. Tkachuk has not been the same since the incident and it was shortly after that Bennett asked for a trade.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
It's been three games. FutureAllstar Noel Acciari once scored back-to-back hattricks (also while playing with Huberdeau). Can't fully judge him yet.

That said, man is he hot now, and what a start to his career with the Panthers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->